The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 6, 2000, 09:59 PM   #1
actionshooter

I have pre-ban M1 and with lighter loads such as low base shot and reduced recoil slugs, the gun dosen't cylce.This only happens when the gun is fully loaded and there is a round in the carrier. If I load it and there is no shell in the carrier,no problem.
This is new as I have shot these loads before with zero malfuncions.
Any help from the Benelli Gurus would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks Steve
Old June 7, 2000, 07:55 AM   #2
Icopy

This reminds me of an old joke. A guy tells his doctor that his arm hurts when he bends it a certain way. They doctor says stop bending it that way. Just kidding. The loads are probally too light to cylce the action with the extra weight on the carrier. Try the same situation with full house loads. I never put anything less than 1 1/8 oz loads and have never had a proplem after the initial break-in period.
Old June 7, 2000, 07:55 AM   #3
CMOS

Your problem is not really a new one. The design of the Benelli system favors the higher power loads.

I suggest you get a couple of boxes of 3" Magnum shells, run them through - I know, it'll be painful - to help break in the recoil spring.

In general, some rediced recoil loads will jusy not work. You'll have to experiment with which one function in your specific gun. I can shoot the Federal 00 tactical Reduced Recoil Buck in my M1S-90 all day long with no failures.

Break that spring in and then do some testing.

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now join the GOA!
Old June 7, 2000, 08:12 AM   #4
jthuang

The Benelli inertia system can be sensitive to low recoil loads, especially when the gun's mass has been increased by various accessories. Typically, the mantra is that if you put a Surefire Responder and a TacStar sidesaddle on a Benelli M1S90 (or a Beretta 1201FP) then you will get misfeeds with low-recoil loads.

It sounds like your gun is stock, so this is rather puzzling. In any event, Benelli and Wolff Gunsprings (http://www.gunsprings.com) offer a special spring to correct this situation. I'd give Wolff a buzz and see what happens.

FWIW, my M1S90 has a Surefire Responder and functions flawlessly with low recoil slugs, buckshot and light trap loads. Go figure.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old June 7, 2000, 08:45 PM   #5
actionshooter

Thanks for the response guys. I should have mentioned that I have approx. 750 rounds of the light stuff through this gun and this problem just developed.
Justin, I will try the wolff springs. I didn't know they made such an animal.
If anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears.
Thanks Steve