The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2002, 10:42 AM   #1
krchandl

Sporting Clays in Dallas, TX

Gents,
Sporting clays sounds like something I'd really like to learn to do.
Can anyone tell me if or where in the Dallas,TX area - preferably Richardson, Garland, or Plano, that I could get involved with SC?
Old March 26, 2002, 11:13 AM   #2
Bud1

Sporting Clays

There are a few decent Sporting Clays courses in the Dallas area, but nothing too close to town:

Backwoods TRAPS in Little Elm (halfway between McKinney and Denton) has trap, skeet, 5 Stand, Sporting Clays and a couple of manual traps for beginners.

Alpine in south Fort Worth has trap, skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting Clays.

Dallas Gun Club in Carrollton ($$$$) has everything above, plus a 'way cool bunker trap. You have to be a member there, or be a guest of one.

Winchester in Irving has trap, skeet and an "attempt" at 5 Stand, but no Sporting Clays.

I believe that there is also a private trap and skeet range down in Desoto.

I prefer Backwoods, even if it is a bit of a drive. The owners are great folks, and run a very nice operation. Drop me an e-mail if you'd like to meet there some Saturday for some clay shooting. I'm shooting in a tournament out in Kilgore this weekend, but am pretty open after that. If you want to just go out there on your own, ask if Scott, Richard, Don or Jeff are around. All of them will be glad to give you a few pointers to get you started out. Scott, Richard and Jeff have business cards there in the office if you are interested in private lessons.

Bud

*edited to delete the last names of my shooting buddies. I don't know if they want their full names floating around on the internet.
Old March 26, 2002, 12:14 PM   #3
krchandl

Thanks Bud, Backwoods in Little Elm sounds like the place for me. I get up to that area now and then anyway, but am not familiar with the location of Backwoods Traps. I'll try the phone book and directions.
Thanks again and hope to see ya there.