The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

Shell holders

I have used a Lee shell holder set for years. I got a new RCBS hand primer tool and I couldn't get the primers to seat deep enough. I bought an RCBS shell holder #3 to hand prime my .308 brass and now it proper seats my primers the proper .0085 depth.

I am wondering if anyone else has ever noticed a difference in shell holder based on brand? My caliper says there is .0005 difference between the base of the shell holder and primer grooves on the Lee vs RCBS, which doesn't explain the .004 difference in primer depth.
Old September 24, 2016, 06:21 AM   #2
PA-Joe

Yes they have different center hole sizes and bench heights.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:07 AM   #3
cw308

Yes l also noticed it when I ordered Redding bushing dies & a she'll holder. I inststalled the she'll holder in my RCBS Rockchucker press, the die was set first with the RCBS she'll holder , removed that shell holder installed the Redding the die had to be backed out. Both decks measure the same , the base is thicker.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi
.308 brass and now it proper seats my primers the proper .0085 depth
Why is that the "proper depth"? About -0.004" below flush is a more typical number, though it varies with the primer. The usual target is found by measuring the height of the primer and anvil before seating, subtracting that from the depth of the primer pocket, then subtracting 0.002"-0.006" more to get depth below the head. That compresses the priming mix 0.002-0.006" to set the bridge. Federal recommends less. They recommend 0.002" of compression for small primers and 0.003" for large primers. Some makers say not to go over 0.004" compression with either. Just depends who you talk to, so you might contact your particular primer manufacturer for a recommendation.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 24, 2016, 01:58 PM   #5
RC20

I have the RCBS Universal primer tool

It had spring clips not a shell holder.

Holds any size case, though it does require two different feeders and pins to push primer in for large and small (I got one each)

Does a great job.
Old September 24, 2016, 03:07 PM   #6
cw308

I use the RCBS ram primer, works just fine. Can feel the primer bottom. What is important I feel , is to have your primer pockets uniformed to the same depth. I uniform all the pockets after the first firing . Never had a problem seating.
Old October 7, 2016, 12:45 PM   #7
Real Gun

What I found is not really about primers but about degree of belling, seating depth, and crimp. If I have more than one brand of shell holder for a cartridge, my setup data has to include which shell holder number I used. I have only one RCBS. The others are Lee or Hornady. I have a shell holder from Hornady to match all my cartridges for the case trimmer, but Lee is often sized better for turret use, the Hornady a pretty sloppy fit to the head in some cases.
Old October 8, 2016, 12:53 AM   #8
Stats Shooter

Well I have now proven that my Lee shell holder work in my rock chucker but my RCBS hand primer requires RCBS shell holders.
Old October 8, 2016, 09:42 AM   #9
g.willikers

^^^
Funny how that happens.
The Proprietary approach is good for their bottom line.
Not so good for ours, though.
Lots of manufacturers have adopted the concept.
Old October 8, 2016, 01:05 PM   #10
Stats Shooter

Basically what happens g.willikers is that the RCBS shell holder hole is slightly smaller, and the thickness between the bottom of the holder and the ramp/slot is a couple hundredths difference. In my press and in my bench primer the difference is no big deal as you can adjust. But in my hand primer that difference= high primers. When seating bullets obviously you can just adjust the die, but not when using a hand primer.

Tags
hand primer tool , primer seating , rcbs , shell holder