The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2013, 09:21 PM   #26
Chaz88

I compact single stack 9mm might make me a Glock fan. I would have to do some serious comparisons to the other options. I bet the price point might be the deciding factor on it.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 25, 2013, 09:26 PM   #27
IdahoG36

That's what I was thinking as well. Every Glock that I see new in the LGS is in the $550-$599 range, regardless of which model it is. I would think that for a single stack small Glock to be competitive, it would have to be in the $400-$500 range.
Old November 25, 2013, 10:06 PM   #28
TxFlyFish

Guys we can speculate all we want, but since Glock is perfection why do you think they named it G42?

What is "the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything" mind blown
Old November 25, 2013, 10:09 PM   #29
Chaz88

Quote:
why do you think they named it G42?
I give up. Why?

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 26, 2013, 12:48 AM   #30
DaleA

Jimbob86 in post #22 (was that post number on purpose?) and the link to the 'Who's on First' parody...Thanks.

It is an impressive piece.

There's more to it than just the .22/Forty miscommunication. There's the Glock 'slogan' - 'a slow gun seems silly'...and more.

Again, thanks.
Old November 26, 2013, 01:31 AM   #31
LockedBreech

New line of Glock pistols

Glock is one of the major players in the market. This is news that matters to the shooting community at large.

My money is on .380, simply since people want 9mm and Glock, for all their great qualities, is hilariously bad at paying attention to what people want them to make.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 26, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old November 26, 2013, 02:06 AM   #32
vostracker

G42

You guys are all wrong!! Its a mini-ar style rifle that you can pocker carry!! LOL!!!! I just like to see new guns come out so I can play with them.
Old November 26, 2013, 02:18 AM   #33
Psychedelic Bang

Its big news. Is it also, "exciting news?" depends... .380, not exciting imho. Excellent single stack 9? Fairly exciting.. Imho.

Price point? We have no idea, but its easy to find the xds and pps for just under $500.

We have to wait and see.
Old November 26, 2013, 08:39 AM   #34
Digger686

Assuming that this does signal the introduction of a compact, single-stack Glock...

In my experience (and among my circle of friends), while most people own one or maybe two of these compact pistols, they are seen as functional for CCW. Very few people seem to accumulate significant numbers of these types of pistol as they might with medium or large frame pistols or revolvers.

I wonder how many people have already satisfied their demand for a small and thin gun by buying one of the many offerings from other manufacturers? Will many have actually held off buying in the hope that Glock would eventually offer a similar pistol?
Old November 26, 2013, 08:42 AM   #35
Skans

If Glock really is coming out with a "pocket gun", it'll be interesting to see if they go to a true DAO trigger. It's hard for me to imagine carrying a "locked & cocked" SAO, or Glock-action pistol in a pocket.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:14 AM   #36
Viper99

If Glock comes up with single stack 9mm or 380 or both, I am all over them.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:20 AM   #37
Captains1911

Quote:
Assuming that this does signal the introduction of a compact, single-stack Glock...

In my experience (and among my circle of friends), while most people own one or maybe two of these compact pistols, they are seen as functional for CCW. Very few people seem to accumulate significant numbers of these types of pistol as they might with medium or large frame pistols or revolvers.

I wonder how many people have already satisfied their demand for a small and thin gun by buying one of the many offerings from other manufacturers? Will many have actually held off buying in the hope that Glock would eventually offer a similar pistol?
Good point. I personally got tired of waiting for Glock to offer a single stack sub compact 9mm, and therefore own a Ruger LC9 and a Springfield XDs. I feel that the XDs is the closest thing to a Glock, and I really do enjoy the pistol. If the Glock 42 is indeed a single stack 9mm of similar size, I will certainly purchase one and likely sell off the XDs assuming I'm happy with the Glock, no need for both. I'll probably give it at least a year or so though this time as I've learned my lesson the hard way buying newly released guns early.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:21 AM   #38
thedudeabides

Glock has SIGitis.

They once made a few good guns that worked.

Now they make lots of guns, some of which don't work, some of which don't work well, and some of which don't make sense.

It takes HK half of a decade to come up with a new product line. Glock has one every few weeks.

Some would argue it's dumb NOT to make a pocket pistol in our hysterical society where everyone now has a CCW permit and wants smaller and smaller (to me these are useless) guns. Even Colt is making a small plastic gun these days.

I say that there are enough small guns out there that work only sometimes and have lousy triggers. Now there's another. This fad won't stop until people realize that you can't have a pocket gun that works as well as a 44 ounce full size target pistol, or that 4" is about the right size for the barrel of a carry gun.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:23 AM   #39
Captains1911

Quote:
I say that there are enough small guns out there that work only sometimes and have lousy triggers. Now there's another. This fad won't stop until people realize that you can't have a pocket gun that works as well as a 44 ounce full size target pistol, or that 4" is about the right size for the barrel of a carry gun.
Sounds to me like you aren't familiar enough with the current offerings on the market to make such a statement.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:26 AM   #40
Tactical Jackalope

I cannot wait. I've never liked pocket pistols and quite honestly always hated them.

Now since Glock is going to make a few. I think I may give them a try again! really amped about it.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:31 AM   #41
thedudeabides

Quote:
Sounds to me like you aren't familiar enough with the current offerings on the market to make such a statement.
Funny story, I went through the entire process of finding a small 380 for my wife and shot just about every one on the market... here's the breakdown

LCP: FTE, FTF, pins come out of frame after shooting 300 rounds

P238: fine if you just feed it ball ammo, won't feed all defense rounds, trigger pull is 8 pounds

Bodyguard: Soviet era revolvers have a nicer trigger pull

LC9: Rear sights fell off, was a gun range rental. Gun range had two, sights fell off of both of them.

P290: had the first gen version, soft primer strikes and terrible trigger

XDs 9mm: recalled. Came back with a harsh trigger pull, trigger reset funny

Colt Mustang polymer: fit and finish woefully bad for a Colt. The one I have seems to work, tho.

PPK/S: nice gun, but it's large

PPS: nice gun, but it's large
Old November 26, 2013, 09:46 AM   #42
Tactical Jackalope

lol I don't get why some people join a thread just to complain about something that the thread is entirely about. There are other threads going on you know, where you can actually give positive feedback on whatever you like.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:57 AM   #43
Chaz88

Quote:
I don't get why some people join a thread just to complain about something that the thread is entirely about. There are other threads going on you know, where you can actually give positive feedback on whatever you like.
I like having both sides of the opinion coin. Might save me some money and frustration making my choices. Besides I think they have whole websites for just fawning over your favorite maker of whatever.

Old November 26, 2013, 09:59 AM   #44
TunnelRat

Quote:
lol I don't get why some people join a thread just to complain about something that the thread is entirely about. There are other threads going on you know, where you can actually give positive feedback on whatever you like.
I second what Chaz said. If we had entire threads of folks constantly agreeing with each other it would be a pretty boring place. Discussion is a good thing. Besides, that silly first amendment is just as important as the second.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 26, 2013, 10:00 AM   #45
SPEMack618

This thread was worth it simply for the Tam/Caleb script. Hilarity. Got some stares from my fellow cubicle farm mates.

Forgive my ignorance, but what faint outline in the flyer?
Old November 26, 2013, 10:01 AM   #46
Tactical Jackalope

Still..in a general sense it doesn't make sense. That's like me joining a Taurus forum then.

I really think they're going to have single stacks in .380, 9mm, and .40

It's going to be really cool.
Old November 26, 2013, 10:02 AM   #47
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

One post deleted and those referencing it edited. The edited posts aren't really a problem in themselves but please use the report post button instead. Posts with no intelligent content don't deserve responses.
Old November 26, 2013, 10:26 AM   #48
TxFlyFish

It's not necessarily how saturated the market is with pocket pistols. Glock has a huge loyalty base, it will sell, even if everyone came up with the same gun already
Old November 26, 2013, 10:42 AM   #49
Ozzieman

Nakanokalronin
THANK YOU for the photo

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 26, 2013, 11:23 AM   #50
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Funny story, I went through the entire process of finding a small 380 for my wife and shot just about every one on the market... here's the breakdown

P238: fine if you just feed it ball ammo, won't feed all defense rounds, trigger pull is 8 lb
That's BS and have never had any FTF problems with the 5 or 6 I've used. I did however polish the feed ramp. Although it was probably not needed, I just do it to all semi autos. I've never measured what the trigger pull is, but doesn't feel like 8 lb either.
It's funny how people think a lot of guns are terrible except for the one they have.
I always thought Glocks answer to the small CCW was the 26? I'm guessing this will be a 380 version.