The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 28, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
drcook

Uberti 1858 -vs- Ruger Old Army Questions

Does any have or had both so a valid comparison can be made ? I drug my feet when I should have bought a ROA, and now the fixed sight ones are outrageously expensive IF you can find one.

I have been considering the Uberti 1858, either in the conversion model, or getting a percussion one and the conversion cylinder separately.

I am more leaning towards the factory conversion model, unless someone on the forum can give a good reason for starting with the percussion version.

I just want one to go along with my Sharps rifles for fun. A ROA conversion or the 1858 conversion in 45 LC and load with BP would be a blast (pun intended) to shoot along with my 45-110.

I might sell one of my 9mm's to fund the project, and on the other hand maybe not. BUT getting one of the pistols (ROA or Uberti) disassembling it and sending the frame to get a bone and charcoal case coloring along with some stag grips well...........

There is always the possibility of getting an adjustable sight version and milling up a fixed sight filler and tuning that to the load also (ROA).
Old October 28, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
[email protected]

Stainless Fixed Sight ROA

I have SS ROA Very Good Condition with Ruger Case, Instruction Manual. Never fired it.

Offer?
Old October 28, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

Can't offer much on the Ruger, others will chime in, but I am a fan of the Remmie, have several from several makers (Uberti, Pietta, ASM). I very often shoot them with conversion cylinders in both .45 LC and .45 ACP and enjoy them immensely. I also shoot them as cap and ball when the mood strikes. The Uberti's have been reliable and excellent shooters. I have a Pietta as well, with a ,45 ACP cylinder, and it's a fine shooter but I still hate the stupid markings on the barrel. I'd enjoy getting a Ruger just to compare to the Remmies, but cannot imagine that it is much better. Better sights... well.. yes, that would be an improvement. But then again, you can get "Target" versions of the Remmies.

Willie

Old October 28, 2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

I've never been a fan of the Remingtons. I've had a few - with conversion cylinders - and still have a couple; but they just don't fit my hands the way a Colt does.

I also have a pair of 5 1/2 inch Old Armies that I use from time to time. The grips are as close to a Colt as to be indistinguishable. They're a little heavy; but you'll never wear one out.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce