The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 6, 2012, 06:32 PM   #26
dayman

You could also try out a Glock 19 and a Walther P99/PPQ. They're in the same general size and price category, and both pretty popular for some pretty good reasons.
Either way, it sounds like you're going to have a pretty killer weekend.
Old September 6, 2012, 06:35 PM   #27
gandog56

I'm kind of wondering why you were thinking of getting another 9mm. I like a little variety, I would probably thought about a .40 S&W, or a .45 cal.
Old September 6, 2012, 06:40 PM   #28
old bear

wpsdlrg
Quote:
What I am wrestling with is whether I might want to get rid of the revolvers (and 38 Spl.) altogether.....and get another 9mm pistol to compliment the Stoeger. The Stoeger is a KEEPER
I went through the same thing 40 or so years ago, autoloaders were kinda new, in the L/E arena then. I put up, but did not sell, most of my revolvers for a year or two. When I finally returned to my senses and realized that I was a wheel gun kinda of guy I had everything I needed to start all over. To this day I've never regretted my decision to keep and continue using revolvers.

So my suggestion is to put you M-10 and Taurus in safe storage until your good sense returns Really, don't sell then if you can help it.
Old September 6, 2012, 06:51 PM   #29
wpsdlrg

"I'm kind of wondering why you were thinking of getting another 9mm. I like a little variety, I would probably thought about a .40 S&W, or a .45 cal."

A valid question. The answer is ammo commonality. I like the 9mm, ammo is cheap and widely available. I want both pistols to be relatively close in shooting, but different enough to each other to be interesting.

I've had two 45's. Though my experience with them was relatively brief, I know that I don't want another. Besides, ammo is not cheap for these (and I decided that I don't want to handload for the autos - I HATE chasing the brass).

As for 40 S&W.....a fine round, to be sure. But too snappy for my taste....and not needed, as 9mm will do the job. (Please, no ammo flame war guys - 9mm is my preference - just let it go.)

"You could also try out a Glock 19 and a Walther P99/PPQ. They're in the same general size and price category, and both pretty popular for some pretty good reasons."

Duly noted. I am not a fan of the Glock grip, though......and I don't care for pistols that cannot be carried fully UN-cocked, with a round in the chamber. But, I intend to look over and consider everything - and I'll check out the Walthers. Thanks.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; September 6, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:02 PM   #30
orionengnr

I don't know how much time and space you have available, but you have said that money is not a constraint per se.

Have you given any thought to hand loading? It will open a lot of doors for you...for example, no matter which guns you choose to keep, sell or buy, after the initial investment you can produce good quality range ammo for 1/3--1/2 the price of factory ammo. The more you shoot, the more you save.
At least that is what most of us tell ourselves.

Seriously, it would allow you to keep and shoot the 9mm, plus one or both of the .38s, and/or most anything else you decide to buy in the future. Depending on the manufacturer, the .38 dies will probably allow the loading of .357s as well.

And 9mm once-fired brass is so cheap and plentiful that it is almost an incedental as far as cost is concerned. It is literally as cheap as primers--.03 per round.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:11 PM   #31
wpsdlrg

I've been handloading for 15 years. I load 38 Spl., I did load 45 acp (while I had 45's).....but not 9mm YET. I load for my rifle, as well. As of now, 9mm ammo is pretty cheap. Certainly I could handload it for less than buying it....but I really HATE chasing the brass.....and I just can't seem to leave perfectly good brass without recovering it. I discovered this with the 45's.

So, for now, handloading 9mm is not happening. Never say never, though.....
Old September 8, 2012, 08:49 PM   #32
wpsdlrg

The outcome.......

Okey Dokey. I took a ride to my favorite LGS today, to see what I could see. After all of the consternation through which I put myself over this issue, it seemed a bit anticlimactic. I also feel a bit silly for getting so wound up about it all.

Thanks to the great advice offered by many here, I've decided to keep my S&W Model 10 revolver. The Taurus revolver goes on the block, though, if anyone ever might want it.

As for the outcome of today's little journey.....

After a lot of looking and discussing with a friend (who accompanied me)....I came to a decision. A Sig Sauer P250c (9mm Para) came home with me. I had finally decided in the store on the sub-compact P250, but I decided to look also at the compact version at the last minute. As it happens, the dimensions are almost exactly the same as my Stoeger Cougar. Rather more brick like in shape - but just about the same overall size. I've had no problems concealing the Cougar.....so I decided to go for the compact P250.

The price was not bad, $379 (same as I paid for the Cougar, as it happens)....and I like the way the Sig feels and handles. The grip is long enough as is, too, so no mag extension needed. I am a small bit put off that Sig only ships the gun with ONE 15 round magazine, but I'll get over it. I really do like the DAO trigger....and I like the modular construction. It is really easy to strip the gun for cleaning and maintenance. It IS quite different than the Cougar, but that only makes it interesting.

So now to find a holster that will work with the P250...and get another magazine or two (the LGS was out of them). And, of course, see how it shoots.

Many thanks to all who offered opinions and advice in this thread. I appreciate it - you guys helped a lot.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:17 PM   #33
pete2

Don't get rid of anything that works( a lot of Tauri are bad but some are good). Just buy another when the mood strikes. I shoot both autos and revolvers. I guess if I had to get rid of some the autos would probably go first. I might keep a 1911.