The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 24, 2011, 01:58 AM   #1
bamaranger

16 yr old first IDPA match

I am proud to report that last Sunday, 16Oct, bamaboy, at age 16, shot his first IDPA match and the guy did just fine.

We worked w/ my G20/10mm as it was the only specimen in my arsenal of the striker fired variety which I figured would be easiest to teach . No safeties, DA/SA , decocker, etc. Thought about the S&W M27, but the DA trigger work was not conducive to accuracy. He shot the G20 much better with the 3.5 lb trigger in it. One concession was I down loaded the 10mm to about .40 S$W power. Maybe an issue at a sanctioned match, but not for the club shoot. All club members were universally glad he was there.

No safety issues, no procedurals, a clean match w/ a respectable score, (he out shot several first time adults) and the kid had a blast (pun intended). Acccuracy was acceptable and his gun handling skills looked good.

I was one proud papa, and of course, ............he wants to go again.
Old October 24, 2011, 03:39 AM   #2
quepasakimosabe

That is awesome, I can only hope my children turn up something close to that. Worst case scenario they have a respect for firearms, which isnt so bad i guess.
Old October 24, 2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Brit

Glock 19?

Hi Dad.

If you reload, cost will be down shooting the 10mm, so that would be maybe the way to stay. But a Glock 19 with a few magazines would be the way to go if he would be sticking to IDPA. (Glockoholic speaking)

The seat belt going home? To keep him from floating off the seat?

When he discovers Girls? That normally messes up plans?
Old October 24, 2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I don't understand, Brit.
What is the advantage to a G19 with its shorter barrel (sight radius) and butt in competition?
I prefer and recommend a G17 or a G34 if that is the desired platform.

The OP has considered a .40 conversion barrel for the cheap brass in a gun already in hand. And would probably already had one if they had been in stock at the vendor.
Junior could not take it to a sanctioned match but our club shoots do not conduct technical inspections and do not care. Downloaded 10mm would still be suitable for a major match.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Viper225

We have a youngster shooting with us, I believe he is 15.

We have been thinking about having him drag a car tire around roped to his leg to slow him down. Then we got to thinking how bad it would be if he still beat us dragging the tire.

All joking aside. He is a great kid, and a fast learner. And plain fast to boot. I wish we had about 10 more like him shooting with us.

Brit that is a 10-04 on girls messing up the plans.

Bob
Old November 4, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
shootniron

Quote:
When he discovers Girls? That normally messes up plans?
Yeah, the fumes get'em. Gas fumes and perfume.

Great job with the boy. My son also shot his first match at 16, although he shot the 1911 that he got for his birthday, the day before. Now, he is addicted but we have so much going on related to school and sports that it is hard to get there, but we go when we can.