The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2001, 12:31 AM   #1
dalpra

I've decided to join my brother on his annual deer hunting excursion to Wisconsin. I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy plinking and bullseye shooting with various .22s (I enjoy it, I didn't say I was any good) and recently started high power rifle shooting with an AR-15. I don't own a "hunting" rifle per se, but I'm impressed with a BAR-22 that I picked up last year (accurate and well-made) and thought I might add a BAR centerfire as an all-around hunting rifle (occasional use). I've come across an older (Belgian '69) BAR in .270 Win in very nice condition. What do you all think of this selection? I must confess I have a soft spot for older guns, reminds me of happier times. TIA for your feedback and suggestions. (Also posted in The Art of the Rifle).
Old February 8, 2001, 02:08 AM   #2
Cannon Cocker

I think you could make a worse choice than the BAR. Very good rifles for people that prefer the semi-auto action over bolt guns or pump rifles. I like the choice of .270 as the caliber for your rifle. Fantastic deer cartridge and pretty damn good on elk too. People may disagree with me on that issue, but there are plenty of dead elk that would tell you about it's effectiveness. Shoots very flat with good velocity.
Old February 8, 2001, 09:25 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Tell ya what: Since this is also posted in "Rifle", I'm gonna close it here.

So far, folks are in agreement that the BAR/.270 is a Good Thing.

, Art
Closed Thread