The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 6, 2005, 08:47 PM   #26
Dwight55

Breacher, . . . next time you are in Cactus Jack's in Big Spring, Tx. ask about the night the dude at the end of the bar got shot.

Seems X owed Y some money, . . . X was minding his own beer at the end of the bar when Y came in. Y walked straight down to X (kinda staggering straight I guess) and demanded his money.

X kinda told ol' Y to hang it, . . . so Y whipped out his single action .45 and shot him. Shot him in the leg, . . . but shot him. Holstered up and left.

If I understood it correctly, . . . X didn't file charges, . . . owned up to being a debt dodger, . . . local LEO's figured he had it coming.

Anyway, . . . happened about 20 years ago or so, . . . my brother was a witness to it I am pretty sure, . . . anyway, . . . he told me about it.

Since I don't go into them places, . . . I don't care if one can carry in there or not, . . . and if I did go in them places, . . . knowing me, . . . I probably would not carry.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old May 7, 2005, 02:06 PM   #27
Steve Morgan

One day I went into a government building which had "the sign". Unarmed security guards made me sign in. They didn't check me for weapons and I wasn't carrying. I asked the little security guard lady about what would happen if somebody came in there shooting up the place. Who would protect all of us unarmed citizens? She calmly said "nobody's supposed to have no guns.... didn't you see the sign?".
About a year later, an upset husband went into another government building, which had "the sign", and shot his wife and two innocent bystanders that happened to be in there at the time. Of course nobody could protect themselves because of "the sign".
When will people ever learn?
Old May 7, 2005, 03:10 PM   #28
jburtonpdx

Quote:
When will people ever learn?

Preachin to the choir
Old May 7, 2005, 04:03 PM   #29
ADBF

Oh yes, 'the sign.' "Signs, signs, everywhere are signs..." It really makes me shake my head. We have one at work too that says basically that you are not allowed to enter the area with a weapon. And these signs really don't make any sense at all. Let's assume some guy is mentally disturbed. Maybe he was just fired, could be yanked off at his wife, a co worker, a "friend," etc. So, he comes to the business with the posted sign with an "assault type rifle" to chew bubble gum and take names, if you get my drift. But, then he sees 'The Sign.' And he stops and says to himself, "Oh crap! They don't allow weapons in this building. I guess I can't go in and kill people here. Blast! And I was so pissed off." Sure....

I guess I can see, to some extent, the reasoning behind the signs. It's all for liability. Somebody gets shot in your business, you can say "Hey! I had a sign. They shoulda known." Legally, they might be in a better place than if they didn't have 'the sign.' Problem is, it doesn't save any lives. It's all to keep the legal dogs off their backs IMO.
Old May 9, 2005, 09:37 AM   #30
Duxman

Breacher,

Q for you: Why would the brass hammer a policeman who was not drunk, was at a bar after work (I assume cops are allowed to carry their weapons all the time, even after duty).

And who was justified in defending himself?

Does not make sense unless someone had an ax to grind.
Old May 9, 2005, 02:36 PM   #31
perception

^^^ Generally, the only time firearm carry rights are called into question is by someone with an axe to grind...
Old May 9, 2005, 03:02 PM   #32
BreacherUp!

Quote:
Does not make sense unless someone had an ax to grind
Exactly..
Which is why guys on the street will do anything for a good supervisor. But, alas, those are like unicorns.