The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 26, 2004, 04:46 AM   #1
joerng

P&S

i just got done reading a few articles on point shooting. i think that i like what i read but iam not sure yet, i need to go out try it. i have never shot with my middle finger and i do not know anyone that does. but i will surely go asap and see how it works. don't get me wrong i pratice reflex shooting but i have never used my middle finger. Q1: does anyone shoot this way? Q2:how did you learn?Q3:do you think that P&S is better than sight shooting and why?
Old November 26, 2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Jeff Gonzales

Use the search function

First, use the search function.

Second, use common sense.

Third, seek out professional training. Don't beleive everything you read.

Later,
Old November 26, 2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Dusty Miller

It seems to me that if you use your middle finger with a revolver you'll get some pretty nasty powder burns on your index finger.
Old November 26, 2004, 07:22 PM   #4
David Blinder

joerng,

Take your firing hand and grasp your other forearm with pressure comparable to your firing grip. Now wiggle your index finger while maintaining the same amount of pressure with the other fingers. Now do the same thing but wiggle your middle finger. Notice the difference? Your index finger can be moved independently while your middle finger can't. Since it's impossible to get consistent hits without good trigger control, which finger do you think is better suited to the task? Obviously, if someone lost their index finger, they would have to make the best of the situation but using the middle finger is the answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

ps. point shooting doesn't dictate that you use your middle finger. It's just shooting without visually verifying that the sights are aligned. I suggest you take Jeff's advice and find competent training before you get totally messed up.
Old November 27, 2004, 03:56 AM   #5
joerng

ok

yes i understand all of what you guys have said i am not an idiot i have been doing this for a few days now. i got most of it figured out. so all i was wondering was has anyone tried using their middle finger before. i have not and would not jsut stop using my sights. i would like to know if anyone else has used that method or not. i am in the business of finding revolutionary ideas that can change CQB tactics. so i am willing to take anything to the range for a good bashing in tactical practicallity. i will test it a few times and post my findings. in the mean time just tell me what you think of this web site [URL=http://www.pointshooting.com/discuss.htm] try reading the tests on P&S it will get you thinking. trust me.

PS: blinder, thanks for that test i have not seen it before. it really helped me to see the effects of the drill on your trigger pull but not just that also your grip changes drastically. thanks again joe.
Old November 27, 2004, 09:18 AM   #6
Jeff Gonzales

It has been brought to my attention...

Joe,

It has been brought to my attention by others whom I trust that you may be a troll. Based off your questions, I am beginning to see why. You ask questions that seem innocent, but move towards promoting a hidden agenda.

I have already told you to use the search feature to find the answers to your questions and you ignore it.

I will tell you this, if I find out that this OKJoe, I will ban you...again.

This thread is closed, since there is nothing constructive that can come from it.

If you are upset with my decision feel free to contact me off line, but it is final.

If I see another post by you on this subject, it will be closed and you may be banned.

Later,

I had the chance to speak with Joe and after a good conversation, I want to apologize for insinuating he might be OKJoe. My bad.

Last edited by Jeff Gonzales; November 27, 2004 at 08:25 PM. Reason: To update and comment...
Closed Thread