The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 1, 2017, 01:01 PM   #1
ndking1126

Tract Optics Review?

Does anyone have any experience with Tract Optics yet? Online reviews seem positive overall. Vortex is my normal go-to scope brand, but if they can provide a higher quality scope for less money, I'm certainly interested. They have a lifetime warranty regardless if you are first owner or not.

I sent a question in from their "Contact Us" section on their website and heard back within a few hours from one of their co-founders. That's always a good first impression. If interested, here is his response:

"Yes, the TORIC and TEKOA use the same SCHOTT HT (High Transmission) glass, however, the TORIC uses an ED lens. The ED lens puts all of the colors on the optical light spectrum on the same focal point. This eliminates color fringing (also known as Chromatic Aberration) and provides ultra sharp detail between the edges of contrasting colors, especially in low light situations. While the light transmission would basically be the same, the ability to see details in low light would be superior with the TORIC.

There are some other differences as well…the TORIC also has a 5x zoom ratio while the TEKOA has a 4x zoom ratio. The TORIC has a constant 4 inch eye relief, the TEKOA has a constant 3.5 inch eye relief. The TORIC comes with the high profile turret kit with a zero stop and lock feature. The TEKOA can accept the high profile kit, but it has to be purchased separately."

Thanks
Old December 1, 2017, 08:36 PM   #2
taylorce1

I think they're a decent scope, a lot of chatter over on 24HR Campfire on them in the optics forum. Optics are so subjective on what people like it's hard to know yourself without trying them yourself. I've got a set of Minox binoculars that use Schott glass, but it isn't the same Schott glass that other makers like Zeiss use.
Old December 2, 2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Saltydog235

Tract was founded by some former Bushnell/Bausch & Lomb employees IIRC. On par with the Athlon and Vortex mid grade scopes. I don’t think there’s much difference in any of those optics. Just remember that a lifetime warranty doesn’t mean anything if the company isn’t around and I say that as a small business owner.
Old December 2, 2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Don Fischer

What would make that scope higher quality than your Vortex?
Old December 2, 2017, 04:23 PM   #5
ndking1126

Quote:
What would make that scope higher quality than your Vortex?
For me, the quality of the glass is the most important thing after holding a zero of course. I like all the new reticles and adjustable knobs, but the glass is what I make my purchased on. They may be worth a chance, we'll see. Right now my favorite scope in the cabinet is a first gen pst 1-4x.. so I'm very tempted to get another pst, but the second gen models are pricy.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?