The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 29, 2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Machineguntony

How delicate are silencer internals

I have a 45 silencer, which I forget the brand, which I clean after every shooting, which is usually about 200 rounds.

I also have a 9mm silencer that I run on an MP5. I couldn't take it apart to clean because I didn't have the tools to open it (it is a pistol can that is rated full auto). Usually with this brand of silencer, the booster is used to unscrew the top of the silencer, but in this case, the dealer forgot to order the booster for me, so I had been using the three lug mount for the MP5 to run the silencer.

Without a way to open the silencer, I had been using it for about a month, for a total of about 3000 rounds total. That number is a guess, as in a month, I have gone through about 10 boxes of 1000 Berrys bullets, and I kinda hate running the suppressor, so I only use it maybe 1/3 of the time.

Bottom line...I finally figure a way to get the silencer open, and the baffles are totally stuck, almost like they're welded to the can's body. I get a 5/8 inch wooden dowel and use it and a mallet to hammer the beejezus out of the baffles to get them out. Did I damage the baffles in any way? They look sort of fragile, and I'm surprised they weren't crushed from the hammering.

Was I better of just leaving it dirty? I heard that for a rifle can, the high pressure self cleans the silencer, but that this is not true for a pistol can.

The manual says this is the best way to get the baffles out. I can't imagine it is good for the baffles.

On a related note, I totally love my Dillon 1050 with the bullet drop.
Old April 29, 2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Well. Youve certainly jumped in with both feet

Good for you

Ar you running lead bullets? If so the can needs to be cleaned often ( just like a 22lr can) to pervent lead build up

Your experience with having to hammer out baffels is common. Dont worry
Old April 29, 2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Theohazard

Yeah, I doubt you're going to hurt the baffles that way; like Sharkbait said, that's a common way to remove stuck baffles. But it would be helpful to know exactly what model silencer it is, because some are stronger than others.

I think I remember you mentioning you had a Silencerco/SWR Octane, but I can't remember what caliber it was.

If you're talking about an Octane, you shouldn't worry at all. Heck, I've had baffle strikes on an Octane before without damaging the baffles.

EDIT: Haha, I just noticed I called him "Sharkbait" by accident.

Last edited by Theohazard; April 30, 2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old April 30, 2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Machineguntony

It is the Liberty Mystic. 9mm.
Old April 30, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Theohazard

Oh, that thing is built like a tank. Don't worry at all.

Plus, Liberty has great customer service, so if you somehow managed to damage it through normal use, I'm sure they'd help you out. Tim from Liberty is on this board, try PMing him if you have any questions. His forum name is Liberty Suppressors.
Old April 30, 2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Machineguntony

Thanks, Theo.

You are the Silencer Man. I've learned a lot reading your posts.
Old May 1, 2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Theohazard

No problem, my friend! And the great thing about the silencer market these days is that there's constantly new stuff to learn. Like the new OSS rifle can that eliminates back-pressure and therefore ends all gas-in-your-face issues. I have a first-hand account from a buddy that it works as advertised, but I don't know exactly how it works other than a general idea. The market is changing so fast it's hard to keep up unless you work in the industry, and I don't anymore.