The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 5, 2013, 01:56 PM   #1
obewan

kimber 84

hi all...new kid on the block here......i could use some of your expertise.....have found a kimber 84 i wish to buy at a well respected gun shop in montana....but they only sell on the net via a place called guns america....anyone had any experience with these people??this is a pricey gun and eventhough they are a brick and mortar store, the shop will not deal with me directly......thanks in advance

dale; ann arbor, michigan
Old September 5, 2013, 02:45 PM   #2
PetahW

Welcome to TFL !

While it's against Federal Law for them to deal directly to you, Montana-to-Michigan, IMO it's very unusual for a gunshop to pass up a sale to someone who provides an FFL to them, to receive the firearm in an interstate transfer.

Did you tell them you have an FFL-holder available to receive the rifle ?

Old September 5, 2013, 02:57 PM   #3
ripnbst

They can sell you the gun, they just cant ship it to you.

You buy it, ship it to a local gun store near you, fill out the paperwork and then pick it up there.
Old September 5, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4
obewan

thanks guys! the gun shop is a place called wards, which i think has been in business since the early 19 somethings....the guy i spoke to there said they would only sell thru guns america eventhough i explained i had a ffl dealer to ship to...the guns america website just seemed a little quirky to me, but the wards guy seemed to think they did a good job.......maybe another phone call to missoula is in order.......dale
Old September 5, 2013, 03:39 PM   #5
jmr40

Find another local store that will accept transfers. Most charge a fee for their trouble. Transfer fees range from $15-$50, sometimes much more, so make sure of how much they want to charge you first. I have always found I could just buy locally cheaper than ordering, paying for shipping and then a transfer fee.
Old September 5, 2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Mystro

Its done all the time. My LGS charges $35.00 for the service.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old September 5, 2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Kimber84

kimber 84

If they're going to be a pain, just order it from a local dealer.

What caliber and model are you looking at?
Old September 5, 2013, 07:27 PM   #8
obewan

thanks to you all for the input! no local dealers within 100 miles have a 84 kimber in 257 roberts.....the gun i want was made in 11/2011 and was a special run of aaa wood......cabellas(20 minutes away) has one somewhere in their system without the fancy grade stock and its only a couple of hundred dollars less.....the largest dealer in michigan says they have no 84's of any caliber and don't expect any for 9+ weeks.....either i wait for another to show up, take a chance on this guns america thing, or forget the whole thing....it's not like i can't use $1600 for something else..........dale
Old September 5, 2013, 08:48 PM   #9
steveNChunter

Guns America is one of the bigger online gun "middlemen". I would trust using them, if it's the rifle you want at the right price I say go for it.

By the way obewan, I don't know if you're a college football fan, but I saw you're from Ann Arbor, MI. I live near a little town called Boone, NC. Home to a little school called Appalachian State, ever heard of it? Sorry I couldn't resist
Old September 5, 2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Kimber84

kimber 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter View Post

By the way obewan, I don't know if you're a college football fan, but I saw you're from Ann Arbor, MI. I live near a little town called Boone, NC. Home to a little school called Appalachian State, ever heard of it? Sorry I couldn't resist

Ha ha... They're not real fond of a little team from Columbus either...
Old September 6, 2013, 07:01 AM   #11
obewan

thanks for the info! as a card carrying member of the u of m faculty i'm not allowed to comment on appalacian state...kinda like the town i was born in monroe, mi is not allowed to comment on custer's famous war against the indians........also i attended michigan state before graduating from michigan, so i am conflicted enough already.....as for that town south of us in ohio, well let's just say we like boone better.........they only killed us once!
Old September 6, 2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Dirty_Harry

Go green.....

Pictures of the new rifle please!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne