The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2013, 05:22 PM   #26
BigJimP

Dillon 650 ...with a case feeder / is a better press, in my opinion, than the LNL.

I wouldn't mess with a bullet feeder...they're made by aftermarket companies ...and there are some issues with them ( case feeders are a different matter - and work very well).
Old June 10, 2013, 05:25 PM   #27
Silver00LT

^ I've only seen one bullet feeder that worked flawlessly and that is jmorris setup. It's funny seeing the YT videos of them messing up. lol

The Dillion no BS warranty is having me look for a used 650.
Old June 10, 2013, 05:35 PM   #28
BigJimP

If you really want a "bullet" feeder.....then the GSI product is probably what you want....but they aren't cheap ....

http://www.gsiinternational.com/Bull...rs_8_4233.html

and my buddy that "had to have one" ...has even had issues with it ...although its 99% or more reliable.
-------------
A product that Dillon sells ...is an automatic primer filler ...and I would not recommend that piece of equipment either...( and they're $ 315 plus a conversion kit for $48...)....
-----------
650 with a case feeder is plenty fast enough ....( just reloading time, is easily 800 - 1,000 rds an hour...) ....and I have 6 primer feed tubes, fill all 6 and then set down and run the loader ). You need to take a break once in a while...
Old June 10, 2013, 05:42 PM   #29
jmorris

+ 1 on the GSI feeders not only do they work without any special expander they also allow the use of the powder check die along with seat/crimp in seperate stations. Out of the 9 at the house I have only had problems with one so far (they send me a new cam arm for free and it has been 100%).

They didn't have a collator when I ordered my first one so I built that part my self. Played with one of thiers when they did come out with them (a friend was having problems with it) and wasn't impressed with the design, so I just build my own collators.
Old June 10, 2013, 05:43 PM   #30
BigJimP

Not that you shouldn't look for a good deal....but there are a lot of guys looking for used loaders ( and more than one of them - are reconditioning them / and selling for almost list price ) ...and quickly ....especially right now.

Dillion - especially a 650 / just is not a press that hangs around for sale long - ever, let alone now....( if its in any kind of decent condition at all )....

I've bought used Dillon and MEC presses whenever I find a good deal on one - for yrs ....cleaned them up and donated them to guys with kids, or groups that need to load for young shooters...( I could use another 650 for myself - since we're looking at buying a 2nd home / and I want one at each location). So you'll need to be very lucky ( with cash money in your hand) !
Old June 10, 2013, 10:57 PM   #31
jmorris

Quote:
Not that you shouldn't look for a good deal....but there are a lot of guys looking for used loaders ( and more than one of them - are reconditioning them / and selling for almost list price ) ...and quickly ....especially right now.
That's odd, where are you shopping? I just sold a used 650 in April for $1841. Bought a new 1050 and GSI bullet feeder with the money....
Old June 12, 2013, 09:20 PM   #32
tobnpr

Quote:
The quality between a Dillon and Hornady on presses is night and day no tinkering minimal adjustments required and it works go Dillon the customer service is top notch and the warranty they have follows their products no the owners
Night and Day?
What problems have you had with your LNL, what "tinkering" did you need to do?
Two and a half years, and ten thousand large cal centerfire rounds, and I've never adjusted a single thing...including the timing.

The author of the study I linked above had the following conclusion...

Quote:
After some soul-searching, I have switched to the Hornady. Compared to the Lee, it’s smoother, the
powder system is better, the case feeder is more reliable and versatile, and it’s a true five-die setup.
Compared to the Dillon it’s cheaper and faster to do calibre changes, and smoother to operate. I’ll miss
the Dillon – finely-made equipment is a joy to have around. I’ll miss the Loadmaster too – simple, lowcost
equipment feels like value
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old June 12, 2013, 10:53 PM   #33
ranchito457

I've been running a hornady l-n-l for a while now.Only one minor issue
when i first bought it.Had to adjust the pawls a little and since then not
so much as a hickup.
Not a bad machine at all.
I reload
.40 .45 50ae 500sw 223 308 30-30