The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2013, 01:18 AM   #51
monaco

All my local gun stores are out of primers and bullets.

Anyone know an online source.
Old June 7, 2013, 10:18 AM   #52
snuffy

Post # 38 right here by ME!

Quote:
Quote:
I almost ready to go. Where do you guys buy your primers and powder?
You forgot bullets!

Now you have this awesome loader, and no components! You'll find the shortage extends to components for loading your own. Why do you think loaded ammo is in short supply? The big ammo companies use the same stuff for loading their own. They will use the primers and bullets to load their own ammo before making them available for us reloaders.
I hate to say I told you so, BUT I told you so!

Just about all components are very hard to get right now. Manufactures are going full capacity right now, they will eventually catch up. Old(er) loaders like me have a decent stockpile of powder and primers, and I make my own lead booilts. So this is a minor inconvenience for me.

I can only imagine how much you want to try out your new toy. And you have a need for ammo! You want to get started loading and you want to do some shooting.

Reading your responses to others and your questions, leads me to believe you have NOT done your homework. By that I mean, getting a loading manual, reading it taking notes, then reading it again. You cannot learn how to reload by coming on forums like this and asking questions. This forum and others is for solutions to problems that you just can't figure out from a book.

IF the problem is stated thoroughly, and you include ALL the things you have, like which powder, bullet, empty brass, how much powder you tried, press and dies and the results. We can usually help out with a solution. Posts like my reloads don't shoot, whats wrong, will get either no response or a bunch of questions and guesses.

Since you are having problems getting components, now is the time to be doing research. Read, look for other reloaders in your area, beg for a visit to his/her loading set-up. Watching and listening are very valuable for this hobby. If you were local to me, (within 100 miles), I could come over with enough stuff for you to reload a box or two of 45's if you want the help.

I've trained 4-5 "kids" in reloading, I feel it's just passing on a tradition. I should have been a teacher! Well, maybe in the next life? PM me if your close to Oshkosh WI.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 7, 2013, 07:10 PM   #53
dmazur

Here's a link to a typical powder for .45 ACP. Supplier says 16 weeks ARO.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/218...okeless-powder

Other components may be available on a similar schedule.

I would find sources which are willing to take orders with the delay. Some (Powder Valley is one, I believe) just won't take any more orders for components which they show out of stock.

In other words, getting in line is probably better than giving up...

Last edited by dmazur; June 8, 2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Made it more useful
Old June 8, 2013, 10:58 AM   #54
super6

Another link to powder.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/
Old June 8, 2013, 11:28 AM   #55
Unclenick
Staff

Monaco,

Please monitor the thread linked to below. Constant updates on sources are posted in it. All inquiries regarding the shortages and information on what has become available and where should be posted there.

The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle