The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 29, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Kirby8604

SP101, S&W M60 for Mom?

My mom is in her mid 50s and wants to get her first gun. She wants a revolver primarily for a bedside gun. She "wants" a small revolver but I explained the recoil benefits of a heavier gun. I figured a Ruger SP101 or Smith Model 60 would be a good compromise between her desire not to have a hand cannon and her having something pleasant to shoot, especially loaded with 38sp. Any suggestions are welcome and encouraged as I am no expert. She is not set on 357/38 caliber those were just a couple suggestions I had, but she is set on a revolver rather than semi-auto. Thanks everyone.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
pilpens

Ruger SP101 and S&W model 60 are very good revolvers. Also, consider a S&W 640.
Always best to try before you buy.
Pick the one that fits her hand best.
Most important is to make it fun for her when she practice.

=========
I would opt for 38 only revolver -- +P ammo for defense.
I like POA=POI. Consider +/- of fixed VS adjustable sights.
One of the most comfortable snubbie I have shot is Stainless Rossi 5 shot 38 only with rubber grips. Plenty accurate for defense but heavy OEM trigger. I have lightened the trigger return spring for my GF's grandmother. She is 80+ and shoots once in a while.
=========

Last edited by pilpens; April 30, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:57 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

New to guns, rentals...

1st, there are some points to stress;
Sit down and really talk about the use of force issues & legal factors involved. Guns are extremely dangerous. They are not toys, props or fashion statements.
Make 100% sure she knows & understands the state/local gun laws and can be fully ready to explain her actions if required.
I'd rent or borrow a few DA/DA only revolvers then let her shoot a few/handle them.
If she can safely fire/load-unload/clean etc a firearm, then look for a simple robust 5/6 shot snub like a Ruger LCR .38spl +P or a S&W 442-642 no lock J frame.
She can use a decent factory made load like the Corbon DPX, the Ranger T .38spl load, the Speer Gold Dot 135gr JHP +P, MagSafe SWAT, PowRball, Glaser Silver Safety Slug, Buffalo Bore 158gr +P+ lead SWC-HP.
Some gunners knock frangibles but a high quality exotic like a Glaser Silver or MagSafe lowers the risk of a ricochet or a round punching thru a violent subject.
They are more than capable for home protection.
She could add a CT lasergrip or Lasermax to the snub revolver. A XS night sight is a good add-on too. Lasers do not replace marksmanship but can aid with training.
Cleaning & storage are important. Use a high quality CLP like LPX, Gunzilla, Slip2000, or Ballistol.

CF
www.gunvideo.com www.deltapress.com www.mpro7.com www.shopcorbon.com www.buffalobore.com www.handgunlaw.us www.crimsontrace.com www.natchezss.com www.grafs.com www.lasermax.com
Old April 30, 2013, 11:47 AM   #4
glenncal1

See-the bud's gun post. A 4" RB model 10 would do her well, better than a J frame for a bedside gun IMHO.

Many K and N Frames
Old April 30, 2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Dman23

SP101, S&W M60 for Mom?

I agree make sure she knows what she is getting into.

If she is still on board, the sp101 would be a great choice. It is heavy but small. I cant speak for s&w because i dont have one. But an sp101 357 with a 38 special is plenty mild for anyone wanting to shoot. I find them easy to use, heavy but small, and if you install an XS night sight on the front easy to point.

Its never to late in life to decide to be armed! If she decides to go for it, take her out shooting. Not once but often!
Old May 3, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Deaf Smith

Get her either a 640 .38 Spl. all stainless (they now have .357s but I prefer the older ones in .38) or a 642 airweight.

DAO simplicity.

Deaf

Tags
home defense , mom , mother , nightstand , revolver