The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 19, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Terry A

H&K MP5

Does anyone know why H&K won't import the MP5 or even the .45 UMP to the USA? My understanding is that the military and law enforcement AGENCIES, not police officers, can have them, but they can not be registered to the police officer themself. Before 1986, this was not the case. Is this info right or wrong?

Second part...IF they can be purchased in the USA, where and how much?

Thanks!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old March 19, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2
mesabi

Import of new machine guns ceased in 1986. To my understanding, all machine guns available for purchase were made before 1986. I am not sure how conversions work into the scheme of things.

www.gunsamerica.com has mp5's for sale from time to time. It's gonna cost you, but the right paperwork and good chunk of change will get you one.
Old March 20, 2010, 02:31 AM   #3
David Hineline

Imported machineguns could not be sold to non govment agencies after 1968 US manuf. machineguns could not be sold to non govment agencies after 1986.

Plenty of HK guns available to LE agencies.

Most HK type guns transferable to non govment are US conversions to HK semi auto guns which makes them US manuf. guns so they are available. The UMP newer plastic guns are not avail to non govment as they are not compatable with the HK conversion kits made in the US before 86 cutoff.

Post a want to buy add on some site like subguns.com and expect to pay around $15,000 for a MP5 type gun.
Old March 20, 2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Terry A

Thanks fellas for the good info.

Sad that some unfair law causes a great weapon to be bumped up in $ totally out of the buying range of just about anyone who's not a gazillionaire.

My dream gun now has a nightmarish edge to it! ($15,000.00!!!!!)
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old March 20, 2010, 11:35 AM   #5
David Hineline

I guess the better choice is to buy a $40000 car and have it be worth $20000 in two yrs rather than buying a machinegun.
Old March 20, 2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Terry A

No new car and no H&K in immediate future.

David,
My Honda CRV has 143,400 miles on it. I hope to keep it till it rolls 200,000. Two kids thru college, two to go. A wedding to pay for in Aug 2011. Plus, I had major back surgery with a post-op infection that has kept me from work since Aug 2008. More surgeries pending.

IF I had an extra $15,000, it would go towards my family needs before I bought another gun. As much as I would love to own an H&K, I can't justify it. Plus, I suspect that the majority of members here don't have 15G just laying around.

Thanks for the suggestion though.....
Old March 20, 2010, 03:13 PM   #7
David Hineline

The reason most members don't have $15k laying around is because in 1994 M11 SMGs were $450 each if you bought 10 at a time and now they are $3500 each.

HK MP5s in 94 sold for around $3000 each and now they are $15,000 people who take the safe way out an just pay their bills end up exactly like you and me and most others end up exactly as you describe.

When Reed Knight went to the RPB auction in the mid 70s he bought pallet loads of RPB M10 SMGs and look where he is now.

Group Industries UZIs went to auction and Vector arms bought 3200 SMG receivers for around $75 each.
Old March 20, 2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Terry A

You make a great point David. How nice would it be to know what we know now and go back in time 20 or so years? Who would have guessed that guns would have been such a great investment!

Oh well, I'm sure we're still blessed in many, many other ways!

Still, it's nice to dream once in a while!