The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 3, 2009, 01:34 PM   #1
TWill

left-handed with dominant right eye ?s

a picked up a book that tells me to paste a little triangular shaped piece of paper on my right lens to make my left eye take over

anybody else in this boat that can help me out here

first time poster- do i have to tell a joke?
Old April 3, 2009, 01:38 PM   #2
THEZACHARIAS

Different method, but its the same principal ive heard for correcting that particular circumstance. Either that or teach yourself to shoot right handed.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Lunker

I've never heard of being able to switch eye dominance like that, but I have not read that much into the subject. I am a lefty with a dominant right eye. I know that I can't train any other way because my left eye has mild kerataconus, meaning it will never be as strong or clear as the right eye. I still shoot pistols lefty, but with my left eye closed. For rifle shooting I jhave had to bite the bullet and learn to shoot righty since I can't focus as well on the front sight with my left eye.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:52 PM   #4
longranger

This very Q has been asked and answered here many times with as many remedies.The predominate response has been to learn to shoot with the dominant eye.I had this very same situation, mine started with archery(left handed/R eye dominance)It was different to teach myself to hold and shoot R-handed.I persevered and shoot better for it.And besides better accuracy It is much easier to get and find R handed equipment.My son has the opposite situation and has limited access to L-handed equipment and firearms, particularly with rifles.
If you do search on this subject you will find a plethora of information on this.
Old April 4, 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

No, TWill, no jokes necessary. A little bit of the old soft shoe would be good for a change, though 8^)- everyone here thinks they're a comedian already. Especially that WildAlaska guy. Seriously, welcome to TFL.

Take a look at http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/bin...ular/index.htm ... that's the most complete treatment of the issue I know of online.

lpl
Old April 4, 2009, 10:03 PM   #6
shep854

Here's one: I'm left-handed but very near-sighted (20/100) in my dominant (left) eye. My right eye is 20/15, but getting farsighted, so front sights at arm's length are blurry. I do have glasses, but don't normally wear them because my eyes tend to balance one another out. Wearing the prescription glasses while shooting is another level of distraction.

Due to the good distance vision in the right eye, I have always been a RH shooter mainly.
Old April 4, 2009, 10:10 PM   #7
87mustang

learn to shoot right handed. i am left handed dominant right eye. i taught myself to shoot a rifle and bow, golf, and use scissors right handed but everything else i do is left handed. the world is right handed so it's just easier to do some things right handed
Old April 5, 2009, 02:36 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

Hi. I'm left eye dominant, but shoot a handgun right handed and a long gun left. For one handed bullseye shooting, move your hind leg to bring the sights over. Or teach yourself to shoot with both eyes open.
"...it's just easier to do some things right handed..." You were issued two hands for a reason. Use 'em both.
Old April 5, 2009, 06:27 AM   #9
shep854

87Mustang, you got that right!

"the world is right handed so it's just easier to do some things right handed."
Old April 5, 2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Nnobby45

If there's any chance of correcting the problem with a "patch", you'd have to wear it all the time for--well, I don't know how long. Not just when shooting or dry fire practice.

I don't personally know anyone who has switched eye dominance that way. In place of a patch, I tried scotch tape which blurred the left eye, but I soon gave up since I didn't like walking around dizzy all the time.

As I see it, SD shooters must practice with the same sight picture they'll have on the street with their normal eyewear. No patch to change eye dominance-- no special glasses so your sights are clear--fuzzy on the street, fuzzy on the range.

Target shooters who wear special glasses, to get a clear sight picture, excepted, of course.

You can simply move the dang gun over to the dominant eye. Yes, I know, you have turn your wrist so you're using a slight H grip, but many shooters have to do that anyway to reach the trigger properly.

If you shoot Isoceles (which I don't) then it doesn't much matter which eye is dominant.

If swithing from right to left (or viceversa) handed shooting works for you, ok. It isn't for me.

When I developed a condition called central serous in the left dominate eye, the right eye quickly became dominant (after twenty years of x dominance) but I don't shoot one bit better.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 5, 2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old April 5, 2009, 08:26 AM   #11
Brother Bob

Think you've got problems. I shoot left handed rifles. I throw right, bat right, golf right, and am ambidextrous with pistols. Left eye dominant.
Old April 5, 2009, 03:11 PM   #12
shep854

If I had been able to get decent eye care as a child, the near-sightedness in my left (dominant) might have been corrected with a patch over my right eye. As an adult, it's too late. Lazik would be my best option now.
Old April 5, 2009, 04:34 PM   #13
kraigwy

I think I'll start a shooting school for people with screwy eyes. There is a way to fix dern near any eye related shooting problems.

The AMU has an optromitis that works with such problems.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071