The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2009, 05:37 PM   #1
yanges

jeweled action for revolver

is ther anyone who does gun work on here?

i am thinking of getting the action in my revolver jeweled.

Thanks!!
Old March 11, 2009, 05:52 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes there are real "smiffs" on this board. Is jeweled like a jeweled movement in a watch where rubies are the bearings?
Brent
Old March 11, 2009, 06:01 PM   #3
yanges

i had a revolver 'jeweled' a few years ago - it is taken apart and jewels added to key parts for extra smooth action!

i thought i had found the person on this site a few years back and was hoping he was still around.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:08 PM   #4
kraigwy

I use to do it when I had a gunsmith shop, I'm not in the business but still do mine and for friends.

Its really a simple process. Any gun smith that does jeweling on bolts can do it.

It looks nice, but what really counts is its functionable. Makes the action smother. Jeweling is nothing more then little tiny scratches in swirl motions that catch and hold oils, protecting the gun and making it smother.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 11, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Jeweling is a surface pattern. It has nothing to do with gems and jewels.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:40 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

so what I know as "engine spun" or "machine spun" pattern which is generally 2 inch or so but the little circles on polished bolts that I thought was decorative only? thanks for adding a new word to my vocabulary. Now I can re-subscibe to readers digest hoping it comes up in the enrich your word power...
Brent
Old March 11, 2009, 07:51 PM   #7
yanges

Thanks for clarifying what jeweling is everyone!

it definitely smoothes things up! i have heard law enforcement officers like to get it done as it makes the gun more reliable too...
Old March 12, 2009, 12:13 AM   #8
koginam

Teddy Jacobson is one of the best in smoothing out the action of nearly any handgun, Jeweling is one of his specialties. I have been a gunsmith for more than 30+ years and if I was going to carry a revolver I would have it worked on by him. not because I gouldn't do it but because he is that good.
http://www.actionsbyt.com/
Old March 12, 2009, 01:31 AM   #9
Casimer

Jeweling is intended to provide a better surface for lubricant to adhere to. But it's also performed to provide a decorative pattern on external surfaces.
Old March 12, 2009, 01:45 AM   #10
Rmac58

I learn something new every day!
Thanks folks.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:38 AM   #11
yanges

Thanks koginam!!!!

Teddy is the guy who did my revolver! it fired nicely when i bought it, but after Teddy worked on it, it was smooth as butter when firing! He is the Best!!

take a look on his About Us page and you will see what his complete action job is.

Last edited by yanges; March 12, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old March 12, 2009, 02:13 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Jewelling in guns usually has nothing to do with using jewels as bearings like in a watch. I can't say that could not be done, but I certainly have never heard of it. Gun "jewelling" is what is sometimes called engine turning. The process involves putting a round rubber or plastic tip (like a pencil eraser) impregnated with an abrasive into a drill press and bringing the tip down on the metal, cutting shallow rings into the metal. By overlapping these rings, a nice pattern can be created. Jewelling was originally used on gun interiors to hold oil, but today is usually used on visible surfaces for decoration.

It usually has little or nothing to do with smoothness, and in fact can make an action rougher if used in the wrong place, but its presence can mean that a gunsmith has given a action special care and attention.

One drawback is that in some places, like rifle bolts or revolver hammers, any rubbing of the part will score or "smear" the shallow jewelling and the result (IMHO) will look worse than if there were no jewelling at all.

Jim
Old March 13, 2009, 09:41 AM   #13
Pahoo

Jim Keenan, (Good Read)
He's is right one the money. I and others, have done "jewelling" on 10/22 bolts and this application, it is strictly cosmetic.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 13, 2009, 10:28 AM   #14
orchidhunter

One of my varied associates sells jewels just for this, just let me know, and I will give you there contact info. orchidhunter
Old March 13, 2009, 01:49 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Orchidhunter,

I assume you mean jewels for use as bearings in a gun.* It is interesting to know that such a thing exists, since I had not heard of it. I would think jewels might not be up to the mechanics of a firearm, but some folks I am sure would be willing to try. Where would the jewels be in, say, a S&W Model 686? And what would the cost be for a full set either installed or with installation instructions?

*Jewels can be inset into firearms or stocks, and that was a fairly common practice in the past, but was also strictly cosmetic.

Jim
Old March 13, 2009, 04:11 PM   #16
orchidhunter

JK, I think the OP was just haveing some fun with you folks, as was I. orchidhunter
Old March 13, 2009, 04:23 PM   #17
yanges

this is an excerpt from Teddys web site:

Our Complete Action Job prepares a handgun for street carry. The handgun is completely disassembled and each part including the frame is deburred. smoothed out, polished, and mated properly in order to achieve a refined glass smooth action. All trigger engagements are cut with a jig, and the finest Ruby, Ceramic and Arkansas stones are used. We polish the breech face of all semi auto pistols to a mirror finish. We use the finest diamond abrasives on super hard steel. We jewel interior parts & frames when necessary to better hold lubrication. We take no short cuts, our complete action job is the ultimate in refinement. We do not offer different levels of refinement at different prices. Over 50% of our work is for police. We give all Law Enforcement a 10% police discount. All Law Enforcement guns get top priority. Our guns are on duty with the thin blue line everyday and night nationwide and reliability is paramount.

i had seen Teddy mention ruby, ceramic and arkansas stones - what are the stones mentioned here used for? it looks to me that he rebuilds the trigger engagement along with other action work?
Old March 14, 2009, 05:42 PM   #18
ActivShootr

The stones are for polishing/deburring metal.
Old March 19, 2009, 12:04 AM   #19
dogzilla

getting the action in my revolver

getting the action in my revolver

REVOLVERS DONT HAVE "ACTIONS"

THEY DO HOWEVER..HAVE A FRAME, CYLINDER, BARREL, TRIGGER, HAMMER..

SOOOOO.. WHAT PARTICULAR PART DO YOU WANT JEWELED ?

GOOD.. NOW CALL BROWNELLS..AND ORDER A JEWELING KIT.. ITS A
DO IT YOURSELF KIT...

HAVE FUN
Registered Constitutional Party Mbr
Old March 19, 2009, 01:26 AM   #20
Bill DeShivs

Dogzilla- Maybe you should just read a little while, rather than posting inaccuracies. Guns do have inner workings that have been traditionally called "actions".
Old March 19, 2009, 09:10 PM   #21
James K
Member In Memoriam

The stones mentioned (ruby, ceramic, Arkansas) are simply varieties of hard stones used for polishing and smoothing metal parts. The "jeweling" is what I and others described, used to retain lubricant. In other words, he is really just polishing parts like every other gunsmith that does action work or "trigger jobs" as they are sometimes called.

Never having seen any of Mr. Jacobson's work, I cannot comment on how good it is, but too much in the way of such work can result in guns that have a small problem - they don't fire. I have seen several, one of which cost the owner almost $2000 in gunsmith charges. Fortunately, it was his pin gun, not a defense gun, but the bowling pins did not fall down when he clicked at them.

Jim