The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1
salvadore

what is in it?

I have been buying wheel weights recently, after 15 years of my last buy, and I was wondering if I should be aware of anything besides the occasional steel weight?
Old January 6, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
cchardwick

Every now and then I get an odd one that won't melt, not sure what it's made of. I assume they are starting to go with a non-lead substitute, probably with a higher melting point.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:19 PM   #3
arizona98tj

Those newer wheel weights are most likely made of a Zinc alloy. In response to environmental concerns Japanese automobile manufacturers have already voluntarily moved away from the use of lead in automotive applications, and the European Union has placed a ban on the use of lead wheel weights effective July 2005. Many US government federal and state agencies are already moving in this direction.

The melting point of zinc is 419.5 degrees Celsius. Hard to say which way the alloy affects that temp. Compared to regular lead wheel weights, that temp is quite a bit higher.
Old January 7, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
salvadore

so the zinc ones should float to the top, right?
Old January 7, 2009, 01:32 PM   #5
10 Spot Terminator

salvadore ,,,,

Yes the zinc weights will come up to the top of the metler pot as they have a much higher melt temp than the lead weights . You can skim them off with the other slag and be good to go .
Old January 7, 2009, 04:06 PM   #6
salvadore

thanks gents, appreciate it.
Old January 7, 2009, 09:49 PM   #7
glicerin

ww zinc

Zinc wheelweights usually LOOK different, are often stamped - Zn -, the chemical symbol for zinc. Many I've found are painted, and are bolt on instead of clip on. I've seen some plastic coated. I sort my ww, and screen out all zinc, plastic, rubber and steel. The dust in air from sorting dry ww's is a greater cause of lead poisoning than melting is. Be safe and enjoy casting.