The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2007, 11:27 PM   #1
bigbradyb

HELP!!!

I am loading .223 REM for my AR15's. I just started loading in bulk to get some "blasting" rounds. I bought a bulk package of remington 55 gr hollowpoint. In the past I have reloaded bullets with a boattail. These bullets have a flat base. I am having a helluva time getting them started when I am trying to seat them. There is no space (not enough flare in the neck) and it crushed the case when I tried to start them. I am using rcbs low base dies. Any help would be appreciated! All of the bulk "cheap" bullets that I know of have a flat base. I would like to get this issue fixed.

Thanks
Old December 9, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Scorch

You need to chamfer the neck of the cases. The base of the bullet is hanging up on the sharp edge of the case neck. Chamfering the cases will eliminate the problem.
Old December 9, 2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Shoney

I think Scorch covered it, but for a point of clarification, you are resizing the new brass before you load- - -Aren't you????
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 9, 2007, 02:30 AM   #4
bigbradyb

I am resizing it and chamfering it. It is new winchester brass.
Old December 9, 2007, 06:36 AM   #5
qajaq59

It might be time to get out your micrometer and see if the bulk bullets are the size they are supposed to be. And while you're at it, check the cases as well.
Old December 11, 2007, 05:40 PM   #6
rrp

bullet seating problem

Please let us know when and what you find on this problem. I've loaded thousands of flat base bullets for the .223 and have never had anything like this happen. thanks