The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2007, 03:01 PM   #1
dbutler

What happens when?

I bought a Weatherby Vangaurd or two or three and the love the rifle but the triggers are not very good. I noticed that the Vangaurd comes with an adjustable trigger. Can I take the trigger apart and polish the pieces with buffing compound, adjust according to the dirrections and get a better trigger. They seem to want a fair amount of cash to reset one at the local stores.
Old January 14, 2007, 05:51 PM   #2
mete

I would never use buffing compound on triggers .A very careful honing with a very fine stone is what you need to prevent changing angles or rounding surfaces. But why would you need to do that ? adjust the trigger according to instructions and see how it works.
Old January 14, 2007, 06:18 PM   #3
dbutler

I appreciate your imput. Your question as to why polish and method is well noted. I was of the thought that honning made the parts move smoother. If your get the same results by adjusting the settings then all the better. Because I have never set or honed a trigger I am subject to a salepitch and false forethought. I well set the trigger and see what I get. Thanks
Old January 14, 2007, 06:53 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Polishing

Is a last resort for an adjustable trigger. Often the best way to go with non-adjustable triggers, if you know what you are doing, and a disaster if you don't.

But if you have adjustments, always use them first, before you even think of doing anything else. There is a strong possibility you can get what you are looking for just by careful adjustment.