The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 28, 2000, 05:27 PM   #1
Sisco

I bought my son a Springfield Savage 20ga pump for pheasant season. Being a small guy the stock is too long for him and I'll need to shorten it. Any tips or suggestions for determining the proper length, method etc? Is is feasable to save the cut-off piece and replace it when he gets bigger? I will probably replace the recoil pad with a slip on type, but what's the method for fitting the origional one to the stock and making it look good?
Old September 29, 2000, 07:53 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

SK, measure from the inside of his trigger finger curled as if around the trigger to the inside of the crook in his elbow with his wrist straight and his arm bent at 90 deg. This is his pull length. Measure from the trigger to the end of the recoil pad and subtract his pull length. That will tell you how much needs to be cut off. After the cut you may or may not have the screw holes left in the stock. If you do deepen them to 1" with a 1/8" drill. If you don't place the pad on the stock where the line of the toe will continue through the pad to it's tip and mark your new hole positions. Drill them 1" deep with the 1/8" drill. Secure the pad to the stock. If there is a lot of material to be removed, scribe a line around the backing of the pad following the shape of the stock. Just trace the outline. Remove the pad and take it almost to the line with a belt or disc sander. Put it back on. Wrap two layers of masking tape around the butt and file the pad down until the file touches the tape. I wouldn't be too concerned about saving the piece of wood. It will be much better just to buy a replacement stock when he outgrows it. George
Old September 29, 2000, 03:43 PM   #3
Sisco

Thanks George. Do you know of a source for a replacement stock?
Old September 29, 2000, 08:27 PM   #4
rr41mag

SK I have been running into this problem big time. you may have seen some of my postings. I bought a cheap and I mean cheap .22 bolt with a clip at a gun show. Of course the stock is too long for him so I figured I would just buy another stock. Well when I did find one (gun parts) they wanted the same price for the stock that I paid for the gun. I don't want to cut the stock off cause it's the first gun I bought him. Now I'm trying to figure out something for him to shoot for a deer outing. He is about 4 ft tall almost 7 years old and a pretty good shot. Guess it's time to post another message huh?
Old September 30, 2000, 07:03 AM   #5
Sisco

rr41mag; You might try Boyds, they've got quite a few (none for the 20ga though!). What brand of .22 did you get? Unfinished stocks for .22's in their catalog cost around $60.
Old September 30, 2000, 08:57 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

SK, if you'll tell me what model you have, 67, 77 etc. I'll see if I don't have one. George
Old October 1, 2000, 02:00 PM   #7
Sisco

It's a model 67, finally got ahold of a Gun Parts Corp. catalog this morning, they've got 'em.
Old October 10, 2000, 02:20 PM   #8
AEM

SAVE THAT LEFT OVER PIECE!

I shortened a neat little Savage 24C 22lr/20 ga. for my wife about 20 years ago and threw away the left over piece. Now I want to shoot it and went looking for a replacement stock. After a lot of searching, I think I have found one - - at about 65% of what I paid for the whole rifle!
Old October 10, 2000, 03:41 PM   #9
Ledbetter

Lots of info on proper stock length on Shotguns in the last month or two.

Old January 23, 2006, 11:47 PM   #10
JED1177

Savage 24C Stock

Looking for a original stock and buttplate for the 24C. My original has the trap/buttplate for .22 ammo and 20 gauge ammo. My original does not have the pistol grip or checkering.
Old January 24, 2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Mike in Michigan

When one of my customers comes to me with this situation, I suggest they get a piece of suitable wood (birch, maple, poplar) and work together to make a short stock. Having the original for a pattern makes it relatively simple, just make it shorter. Makes for good memories and the kid can even "personalize" it without hurting the potential value of the gun. If they don't have the resources, I offer my services to them.
Old January 24, 2006, 05:44 PM   #12
hIPSHOT33

Mikes right . Don't cut the original .Make one up ,it won't be on there that long , Kids grow faster than you think .
Old January 25, 2006, 02:03 PM   #13
Mike in Michigan

Hey, I just noticed that Mr. George Stringer is back in action.
Great to have you back. I really missed you when you had to shut down your old site. Hope you are with us for a long time.
Old January 30, 2006, 11:14 PM   #14
Romulus

I think that's an old, old post from George

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano