The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 24, 1999, 03:46 PM   #1
WinMag

I'm still in the market for a long range scope. I currently own a Leupold Vari-X II in 3x9, and love it. I want to get a 6-20 power scope for varmint hunting.

In order of price from most expensive to least is:

1. Leupold Vari-X III 6-20x40AO (target) $496.00 (1/4 MOA adjustments)

2. Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44AO $467.00 (1/8 MOA adjustments)

3. Simmons White Tail Hunter 6-20x50AO $99.00 (1/4 MOA adjustments)

I would venture to guess that optic quality is also in this order, but not sure due to lack of experience with these other scopes. Has anyone or does anyone use any of these? Brand loyalty aside, which one has more quality (optics & craftmanship).

Thanks,
WinMag

[This message has been edited by WinMag (edited November 24, 1999).]
Old November 25, 1999, 08:15 PM   #2
Cat

I also have a Leupold 3-9 Vari-X II AO. Also a 6.5-20 Vari-X III and a 8.5-25 Vari-X III.
I have a Simmons Gold Medal 6.5-24.
My buddy has a Nikon 6-20(?).

All three are very good scopes. I would rate them as the Leupolds in 1st place followed by the Nikon and Simmons Gold Medal tied for 2nd place.
I don't know about the White Tail Hunter, but at $99 I wouldn't expect it to be up to the quality of the models mentioned above.

Bear in mind there are other high quality scopes on the market, but of the ones you mentioned, this is MHO.

Neil Casper
Old November 26, 1999, 12:02 AM   #3
slickpuppy

WinMag,
At that price on the Leupold it is not the side focus objective. I have a B&L AO and it is a pain to use. The side focus Leupold I bought in 6.5x20 is much better.
Old November 26, 1999, 11:43 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gale McMillan (the rifle builder) posted on the topics of scopes once. According to Gale, the lens are all the same. What you're paying for is quality control and with Leupold, you're paying for the lifetime warranty which is calculated into the price of the scope.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old November 28, 1999, 02:43 PM   #5
slickpuppy

1 piece body or 2 piece? Only matters if you don't have much of a warranty I would think. If the design has been properly engineered why would it matter with a good warranty?
Old November 29, 1999, 03:30 PM   #6
TacTrain

During the pre-hunting season, I have many opportunities to shoot and sight-in rifles for customers at the local range.

Leupold Vari-X III scopes have always held their own and are of high quality.

This past year I was very impressed with the Nikon scopes. The glass is ggod and even better the scopes adjust true and hold their setting and seem to have a good repeatability.

On the other hand the Simmons scopes seem to be the worst. There are some that do OK, but all-in-all it is the brand we hand the most problems with.

Best Regards....
"Train as You Live and Live as You Train"