The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2015, 02:54 PM   #1
Yankee_geezer

More on Lyman AA press noisy

I took off the top knurled knob on the press, cleaned it, greased it and inspected the travel of the shell holder block. The block is misalined. It has a definite cast to the right and as a result the shell holder and the bottom of the die are also misalined. I have to "feel" for the mouth of the die with the shell. I was considering changing from the J style shell holder but i don't think it would help anything. When i follow the shell holder block during its passage from bottom to top, i thimk i can spot a wobble of the block...it starts about the same place the "banshee" starts wailing and stops when it stops. Anyone have/had this problem? Comments? [My AA press has a banshee hiding in it somewhere. I have cleaned, greased, oiled, wiped dry and it won't stop. I load slot machine style(power stroke when handle pulled down), and the shrieks that emanate from this device are nothing short of unbelievable. It shrieks on every power stroke when the shell holder moves up so that 1" of the central column is exposed at the bottom and continues till it shows 1" below the top. I'm reloading 9mm so the noise is constant when i'm neck expanding and primer seating. Anyone else experience anything like this? Anybody got clues for a cure (other than a new press)?? ]

Last edited by Yankee_geezer; June 13, 2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: New information to isolate problem
Old June 11, 2015, 03:03 PM   #2
foolzrushn

I am not familiar with your press, but I might suggest using one of those automotive stethoscopes to determine where the noise originates. They are pretty cheap and would give you one hand free to operate the press.

You could also use a small piece of rubber tubing, but would have to have the boss hold the tubing to your ear

certified 'soap welder'
Old June 11, 2015, 04:09 PM   #3
wogpotter

You're missing lubing something inside would be my guess.
Try pulling the retaining pins & removing the ram. Those bars in the bottom can get all sorts of crud trapped in them & the only way to check is to take it apart.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”