The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 01:56 AM   #1
9mm

If guns came in other colors, how would you choice?

Most guns are blued/black/Stainless steel/Matte finish/parkerized/nickel/[Sig makes a rainbow color gun?]

What if you could get a handgun in a different color, what would you choice?

I thought about pink for breast cancer.

I know cars come in many different colors, and never really thought about why guns don't. I know some guns now are shipping flat dark earth, talo pink edtition etc.. But a gun fully one color hm.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:16 AM   #2
Scorch

Guns come in lots of colors. Blued (black) is the traditional color, and of course silver (nickel or stainless), but back in the 1890s, Winchester made color cased rifles, and Colt made the 1873 in color case. In the 1950s, Browning made the Double Auto in green, red, brown, silver, and black. In the 1990s, there were blue and gold auto pistols. And now, Charter Arms and Sig and S&W make pink, purple, orange, green, tiger stripe, you name it. It's just easier now than it used to be because we have more finish options than they did 60 years ago.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:28 AM   #3
BarryLee

Yes, I see guns in colors now like pink, brown and various cammo styles. I have never really been a fan of the oddball colors, but could maybe see getting a gun in a color that might make it easier to conceal.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 12, 2013, 04:46 AM   #4
warningshot

You can have your gun in any color you like as long as it is royal blue.

Take a look-see at the way Colt or S&W finished their blue revolvers in the 1920s or 1930s, then lets hear what you think.
Old January 12, 2013, 05:54 AM   #5
Single Six

Choice is a good thing. For me however, my first and only preference will always be silver [stainless]. The 2 guns in my collection that came from their respective makers with blued finishes are both destined for Mahovsky's for application of their Metalife finish. http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/
Old January 12, 2013, 06:21 AM   #6
AndyWest

Desert Eagles come in some crazy options from the factory. I just can't convince myself to buy one. Maybe I'll wait for a Mark XX package with 357, 44, 50AE and 50BMG conversions.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I'm pretty happy with black, blue or stainless. To each his own, but I've never been a fan of various color options on guns.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Ozzieman

Personally I think colored guns, pink, light blue whatever is a great idea. If it gets more guns in women’s hands then it’s done its purpose. Vive la difference.
Look at purses, how many aren’t black.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:57 AM   #9
BerdanSS

What Ozzie says is true. My buddy got his wife a blue fishing pole...she fishes more now. So the he built her a custom 10/22 bull barrel target gun...blue of course, now she shoots more

Personally, I thing every manufacturer should offer their firearms in a special color......MARPAT, marpat and more MARPAT!
Old January 12, 2013, 08:01 AM   #10
BikeNGun1974

My whole wardrobe is a combination of blue jeans and either black or gray shirts. My guns would all still be either black (in all its forms) or stainless.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Patrice

Last edited by Patrice; January 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
EdInk

I am okay with a lot of the "ladies guns" that have pink lower halves or the OD, FDE, bi-tone, anodized grip frames, etc. I don't care for one the entire gun is an odd (non traditional color) solid or pattern like the tiger stripe Charter Arms revolvers. Just my preference.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:14 AM   #13
bigkrackers

My guess for the lack of color choices comes down to cost and maybe a bit of tradition.

Guns are generally considered tools and not accessories to be color coordinated with your socks or belt. That said, I recently picked up a G19 in DE and like it a lot.

If I was in open competition I might go with a color scheme for my custom 1911. Say maybe black and burnt orange or black and copper.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:25 AM   #14
MLeake

My guns have always been blued, parkerized, stainless, hard shrome, or two-tone.

Recently, I picked up my first gun that had a different color, a P7 PSP that has a blued slide over OD Green frame and barrel.

I wanted a P7, and the price was right, but I would not have looked for OD green. I have to admit, the two-tone blue/OD is growing on me.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Deja vu

I admit I like the tans and browns but I still like stainless the best.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 12, 2013, 12:25 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Deep Aggie Maroon. Whoop!

Actually, I am jealous of some of the competition shootings with the custom metallic royal blue guns, metallic red, school bus yellow. I like the idea of getting away from the Henry Ford lack of color choices and move a bit forward to the modern automotive idea of many color options and features.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:31 PM   #17
jimbob86

I'd like a DeWalt Black and Yellow Ruger GSR ......
Old January 12, 2013, 12:34 PM   #18
JimPage

I can recall back in the 1950s and 1960s that Hi Standard had .22 s,l,lr snubbed nosed Sentinels in pink, blue, green available as well as anodized black. They were handy little revolvers. I carried one for survival while in the states when flying fighters for over 15 yrs. Of course, mine was black. No self respecting fighter pilot would be caught with a pink gun!!!!!!

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old January 12, 2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Bob Wright

Something like this:

Bob Wright
Old January 12, 2013, 01:04 PM   #20
buck460XVR

Up till the last few years, the lack of color options was mainly because of the lack of anything durable and rust resistant. That meant you either made the gun and/or parts outta materials that were resistant to rust(SS, Brass, etc) or they were blued or nickle plated. Just the technology that was out there. If you wanted your handgun not to look like everyone else's, you changed the grips. Also, because of folk's sentiment about guns and their traditional looks, paint was a definite No-No. I remember the flak I caught back in the 70s when I spray camo'ed my blued wood stocked 12 ga. for turkey huntin'. You'd had thought I raped someone's daughter. Coupla years later and they came from the factory camo painted. Same went for synthetic stocks. I remember when the ol' Remington Nylon 66s and 77s first became popular. Folks wouldn't buy them cause they looked "cheap" and there was no other options for non-wood stocks. Nowadays, most every rifle and shotgun made is available with a synthetic stock of some kind. Many of these cost more than wood. With today's modern finishes and metallurgy color option are limitless and gun owners negative sentiment about non-traditional lookin' firearms is on it's way out. For me, I prefer stainless and matte black.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Love my blued guns and I put up with stainless steel because its weather resistant and easy to clean but as a long time competition shooter I prefer flat black for my work gun. To date I only have one in that finish but it has more time on the range than all but one other gun. Different color? Maybe a very dark green just because I like green but it would feel weird to an old dinosaur to not be blue black or silver.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 12, 2013, 04:06 PM   #22
9mmsnoopy

Yellow and black.
Bushmaster AR15
Old January 12, 2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Most guns are blued/black/Stainless steel/Matte finish/parkerized/nickel/[Sig makes a rainbow color gun?]
Colt Royal Blue works for me.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:28 PM   #24
BrokenBottles

Entire gun colored? Nah, I'm good.
Select parts colored? YUP!

I love certain color combinations and I started looking into changing the color of guns before I even bought my first gun(and so far only )
For self defense, I prefer one that blends in which almost always happens to be black but if I were to carry a side arm hunting or camping or something, I'd want some sort of camo.

I'm still looking for the right gun to have a dark purple slide/grip panels and matte stainless or nickel frame with some very specific engraving on the slide and grip!
Old January 12, 2013, 10:32 PM   #25
AndyWest

I'll not repost the Hello Kitty AR, but it's still a classic.