The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 03:24 PM   #1
cimmerian

HK P9S 45 Recoil buffer

HI there good friends.
I have just come into a 45 hkP9s which has seen some use and which I am legally licensed to posess. I know about the need to replace the recoil buffer but such a part is unobtainable here in South Africa.

Seems I am also unable to import such from the US, as suppliers indicate they can only supply within the US.
What exact material is this buffer made of and can anyone give me its precise description and dimensions, as I will then try to make one myself or have one made up for me.

I would love to shoot this pistol as I have heard that they are accurate and sweet shooters.
I have 4 extra mags and a full combat rig and the safety has been extended for combat shooting.
I personally plan to use the gun for full time carry.

Hope you guys can help
Kindest regards
Old September 28, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
drail

In the early years of pistolsmithing we used to make buffers from scraps of thick leather with an Exacto knife. Got anything like that down there?
Old September 28, 2012, 09:57 PM   #3
PSP

Quote:
What exact material is this buffer made of
I believe it's made of a semi-soft polymer. Can you order and import from HK in Germany?
Old October 3, 2012, 04:36 PM   #4
cimmerian

hk p9s recoil buffer

Thanks for your prompt response.Yes we do have what we call "stanley" knives and leather so that could be do able.I can also access a variety of castable urethane plastics in a various weights and degrees of elasticitiy,but for that I need to know the exact type of material which the factory uses,in order to choose the right duplicate.I am also thinking of a coiled spring/s instead.Will have to see.

We also have a Heckler and Koch agency down in Cape Town but they were not very helpful and stated that they were presently in a dispute with the factory in Germany.They also did 'nt know exactly what I was talking about and so wanted me to send them a parts number first,which I obviously did not have.
I think I am going to try the HK people in Germany direct via an E mail and see if I can get any joy from them, seeing that they and their local agents are not on good terms.
The HK agents tell me that they are also not very forthcoming due to the fact that they have numerous big military committments so they are not inclined to attend to individual problems from private shooters.
A lot of hassle for a simple piece of plastic...HEH HEH

thanks again and best regards ,
C
C
Old October 3, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
cimmerian

hk p9s recoil buffer

Thanks for your prompt response.Yes we do have what we call "stanley" knives and leather so that could be do able.I can also access a variety of castable urethane plastics in a various weights and degrees of elasticitiy,but for that I need to know the exact type of material which the factory uses,in order to choose the right duplicate.I am also thinking of a coiled spring/s instead.Will have to see.

We also have a Heckler and Koch agency down in Cape Town but they were not very helpful and stated that they were presently in a dispute with the factory in Germany.They also did 'nt know exactly what I was talking about and so wanted me to send them a parts number first,which I obviously did not have.
I think I am going to try the HK people in Germany direct via an E mail and see if I can get any joy from them, seeing that they and their local agents are not on good terms.
The HK agents tell me that they are also not very forthcoming due to the fact that they have numerous big military committments so they are not inclined to attend to individual problems from private shooters.
A lot of hassle for a simple piece of plastic...HEH HEH

thanks again and best regards ,
C
C
Old October 3, 2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Are you sure the buffer is a factory part? Darned few guns have them in their stock, straight-from-the factory form.

The only H&K Manual I could find for a P9S was in 9mm, so the parts lists and diagrams weren't any help.

I suspect the buffer was an addition by a prior owner. If so, your weapon will probably work just fine without and arguably be more reliable, too.

Just getting an owner's manual for that specific gun/caliber may answer the question as to whether it's even needed...
Old October 3, 2012, 08:12 PM   #7
PSP

Quote:
Are you sure the buffer is a factory part?
Yes, it's an original part. Several of HK's early pistols used a recoil buffer. Here's a link to the part that is available here in the U.S.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-P9...ffer-p1449.htm

Go here for a printable manual of the P9s. It shows the buffer and instructs how to disassemble the associated parts.
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Last edited by PSP; October 3, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #8
mete

Go to www.hkpro,com .I'm sure someone will have the answer .Some guns have fibrous buffers ,some are synthetic rubber . If it's rubber maybe polyurethane ?
Old October 5, 2012, 09:36 AM   #9
noorked

here is another place that has them. they appear to handle foreign orders.
Scehematic appears to list the buffer being the same for the 9mm and the .45.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...280&catid=8916
Old October 10, 2012, 02:01 PM   #10
cimmerian

hkp9s recoil buffer

Thanks again for all the inputs.I took Drails advice and did the leather thing.Works like a charm.Will still get a new part when I can but at least I am no longer stranded.
A word on the whys and wherefores.

Delayed blowback action pistols like the P9s tend to cycle somewhat forcefully due to high breech pressures when opening.This rams the slide up hard against the return spring to the extent that normal slide stops will be battered and frames cracked prematurely.The recoil buffer slows down the slide over the last 2-3 mms of its travel and absorbs the energy as it is compressed.
It is for this reason that the P9s is known as a soft recoiling accurate shooter, also because the barrel does not move during cycling but remains staionary.The reduced recoil effect is actually visible when a P9s and a 1911 are shot next to each other on the range.
In the end a P9s will not function for any length of time without its recoil buffer and not incur serious damage.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Delayed blowback action pistols like the P9s tend to cycle somewhat forcefully due to high breech pressures when opening.This rams the slide up hard against the return spring to the extent that normal slide stops will be battered and frames cracked prematurely.
Pressures from the 9mm round are generally much higher than the .45 round, yet the 9mm models don'tuse recoil buffers.

I wonder if the buffer is there for other reasons?
Old October 13, 2012, 11:34 AM   #12
cimmerian

qoute:Wonder if the recoil buffer could be there for other reasons

Beg to differ WALT,

The HKP9S 9mm specifically uses the same type recoil buffer as the 45. It is listed in the official HKP9S factory weapons manual.The kick lies in the delayed blowback opening mechanism which is non adjustable to pressure variances between different ammunition types.In a 1911 for example, the barrel and breech will recoil as a unit and remain firmly closed for a short distance while the pressure drops, until the barrel is disengaged and swings downward to allow the breech to ride backwards and cycle.

In the Heckler the action is directly backwards and unlocking is immediate and only slowed down by rollers riding in camtrails,in a bolt carrier, which engages a seperate bolt and releases it as it moves backwards.THis results in a more violent opening and quicker slide movement.

Hence the need for recoil buffers.
Old October 13, 2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

I missed seeing the recoil buffer when I examined the 9mm parts diagram.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:46 PM   #14
cimmerian

Imissed seeing the buffer when examining the parts diagram

Believe me its there old buddy.
Go to PSP 's input above on the "stevespages" site.It is listed as no 12 on the diagram together with its housing no 13.There is also an extensive insruction piece on how to remove and refit it...No P9S will function without it.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

Didn't mean to imply that I didn't believe you -- only that I had missed that when looking at the parts list and diagram.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:41 PM   #16
bob.a

My P9S has had some shooting done through it, but not excessive. When I learned about the recoil buffer, I got one and went to the local gunsmith to get it swapped out. He did so, but told me that my old one was just fine. I'd have thought the stuff deteriorated with age, but I guess 20 years or so is still fairly youthful for these things.

Surprised you can't get them exported; not like you're going to build a firearm around it.
Old October 14, 2012, 03:51 AM   #17
cimmerian

Didnt meant to imply that I didnt believe you

No offense,
I never took it that way.just wanted to straighten the records.
Old August 19, 2014, 01:16 PM   #18
cimmerian

hk p9s recoil buffer

Just some report back.I eventually ordered and got that recoil buffer through the kindly and highly efficient services of an unnamed US supplier for which I am eternally grateful.
Did some ammunition development and found a sweet load and that HK is turning out to be all it promised.
It tosses 25 SWC 45 cal 175gr trashcans into a space I can easily cover with my hand at 15 metres.I regularly ring up scores in the high 170's/200 at the same distance.

I can't do any better with my 6 inch Colt trooper 357.

And the best of all this full size service handgun carries as easily and unobtrusively as any compact 9mm.

If you ever come across one in a good condition buy it. After all only 8000 were ever made.
Old August 19, 2014, 02:37 PM   #19
RX-79G

The original polyurethane recoil buffer is an absolute must in the P9S pistols - especially the 45 model!

Don't shoot that gun with a chunk of leather as a substitute. You will crack the frame. Leather does not rebound.

The buffers in these guns are a wear item, and need to be inspected and replaced with reasonable frequency - especially in the .45 model. Both shooting and age cause them to break down. You also have to keep oil and solvent off them.

I am once again floored by some people's willingness to just guess the answer to a gunsmithing question. Since we're all on the internet, why not use the same internet to look up something rather than post garbage and potentially screw up a $1200 gun in the process.