The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 01:47 PM   #1
lel

How to remove pistol "insert" pins

I'm replacing the backstrap on a S&W 639 9mm square trigger guard/all SS (houses the mainspring as on a 1911). The insert pin at the heal is rounded on one end, the other end is flat. So, which end do I hit with punch and hammer? Is there a correct direction I should be moving the pin? Should pin be removed in opposite direction as installed, or can I just drive it right on through?
Don't want to break this little sweety, it's one of my favorites.
I've dis-assembled 1911's before, replacing triggers and mainsprings, but never a S&W 639 - the three little thingies under the slide and the thought of them laying the bench have always frightened me.

Last edited by lel; September 22, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: a 639, not 629
Old September 22, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Sarge

The 629 is a stainless .44 revolver, so I'm guessing you meant 639. I'm not personally familiar with the tear-down for that model so I'll suggest you do what I do in these cases- beat the internet to death for schematics, disassembly instructions etc. Then again, someone may be along shortly who knows exactly how to go about it.
Old September 22, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3
lel

Yes a 639, and a fat finger.
I've have the schematic, but no indication of insert/remove direction. I'm searching for instructions now, nothing found so far. It must be so simple and easy no one has asked before. I suspect I should drive pin from the flat end. The rounded end is likely rounded to help it past the mainspring plunger which will seat in center of pin once in place. I worry that the hole on one side may be smaller than the other. I can't recall which end I drove on the 1911 some years ago.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:16 PM   #4
C/O

I am not positive, but when in doubt I always go left to right for removal and right to left for replacement.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:45 PM   #5
rodfac

Good replay, C/O, and will work on most anything I've had experience with...except Sig front sights, which are exactly opposite (out to the left, in from the left). Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:44 AM   #6
cheezhed

When you knock a pin out put the drift pin on the flat side and when you put a pin in the radius side should go into the hole and once again the drift pin should go against the flat side.