The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 24, 2011, 08:12 PM   #1
mjf114

Savage Model 99 Series A/.358

I'm new to the firingline forum but decided to join today. I just inherited a Savage Model 99 Series A in .358 Win from my father that has never even been fired and am trying to research some info on it. Manufacture date, value, so on so forth. The serial number is C825678. One part of me wants to shoot it but the other part of me wants to see what I have before shooting. From what I have researched it seems to be a fairly rare model in 99 but I cant testify to the accuracy of what I read. Any experts here? Much appreciated!

UH-1N Flight Engineer/Aerial Gunner
Old March 24, 2011, 09:18 PM   #2
lonstar45

Was this rifle made in Westfield, MASS?
Old March 24, 2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Winchester_73

Indeed a rare caliber for the model 99. I would say leave it as is because an unfired anything is more special IMO than something someone beat or used.

Value could be tremendous. I would say based on the C prefix, it was probably made in the 60s but could be 70s.
Old March 24, 2011, 10:40 PM   #4
mjf114

I'm really not sure if it was manufactured in Mass or not and dont want to speculate. All the specifics I have are listed. The top of the barrel says "series A" and the serial number starts with "C". I'm going to hold off on firing it since in this day in time I have enough calibers to shoot deer and elk in MT and dont need it to hunt. I just kind of intrigued by the history of this particular rifle and how it sat in the family my entire life stored away. The way that rifle is balanced really makes me want to stopmp some brush to flush out whitetail for quick target aquisition but I just cant bring myself to fire it. With it came 3 full boxes of 200gr Winchester Silver tip EXP ammo. Thanks for the replys. Any historical info/data is greatly appreciated.
Old March 25, 2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Definitely one of the least common of all of the Savage 99 chamberings.

The top of the barrel will tell you the company location when the gun was made.

The .358s are generally very sought after and tend to command fairly substantial prices.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 25, 2011, 09:50 AM   #6
mjf114

Thanks Mike

The top of the barrel does indeed show it was manufactured in Mass as a series "A". We have a gun show coming up in Montana fairly soon. I plan on taking it down to hopefully get good accurate info on it but at the same time we all know that some gun vendor's can get pretty good at hustling. Thanks!
Old March 25, 2011, 02:00 PM   #7
lonstar45

Model 99 BrushGun

What you have is called the Brushgun made from 1977 to 1980. The brushgun was only chambered in .358 Win and .375 Win. with the .375 being more rare than the .358. There were older Model 99's in the .358, but they were not series A rifles. I would expect no less than $1200.00 if the rifle is in excellent condition, being that it has never been fired. I saw the same rifle last month Feb 2011 with the serial # C600xxx in good condition sell for $895.00. I hope this helps.
Old March 26, 2011, 12:28 PM   #8
PetahW

BTW - there's nonsuch thing as an unfired rifle.

The factory proof fires each/every one - how else do you think that fired case sample finds it's way into the case with new handguns ?

As long as there's no obvious abuse or damage from firing, there's no practical way to tell how many times one's been fired, so hunt away - carefully.

Just don't make any permanent mods, if you expect it to maintain it's value.

Old March 28, 2011, 06:43 PM   #9
mjf114

Thanks for the info lonestar! Much appreciated!
Old March 28, 2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Cowboy_mo

Petah not being disrespectful, but at the time this rifle was mfg'd they weren't providing fired cases with them. It is possible that this rifle is totally unfired.
Old April 4, 2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Gunplummer

I have a couple 99's, one a .358, and I know they were made in a few different models. My .358 is in the 900,000 range but is an early F model ( featherweight). I ended up reloading for it because I could not get a decent group out of factory ammo. It shoots O.K. with reloads but throws you around pretty good when standing up and shooting off-hand. It really knocks a deer down when you hit them in a solid place.

BTW A Gun Shop down the road from me ordered a Remington. It came in with the correct caliber stamped on the barrel and it was chambered in a different caliber. I doubt they test fired that rifle. About 15-20 years ago.

Last edited by Gunplummer; April 4, 2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: forgot something