The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 30, 2010, 11:04 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Virginia Restaurant Law Takes Effect Today

As of today (July 1st), Virginia CHL holders can carry concealed in restaurants that serve alcohol. No drinking while carrying concealed, though!
Old June 30, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

PHEW! I'm glad I'm going out of town so I miss all the drunken gunfights that are going to flood the streets with blood...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 1, 2010, 06:51 AM   #3
blume357

My question is can you still open carry also and if so can you

drink while doing so?
Old July 1, 2010, 07:50 AM   #4
ScottRiqui

Yes, you can still open carry, and I believe the law still allows you to consume alcohol while carrying openly (although I don't recommend it).

I expect that in the future, the rules for open- and concealed-carry will be standardized such that you can't drink at all while armed.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; July 1, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Sefner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I expect that in the future, the rules for open- and concealed-carry will be standardized such that you can't drink at all while armed.
I would approve of this for one reason: public relations. Obviously no one here will drink alcohol (or consume any other substances that alters judgment to that degree) while carrying their firearm. So there is no need for the law. But with the provision that one cannot drink whilst carrying, it makes it easier to extend other rights. For instance, here in MI we are trying to allow campus carry. One argument against campus carry is "well college is swimming in alcohol and hormones, there will be drunken gunfights all the time if you 'add guns to the mix'". It makes it much easier to just say "but it will still be illegal to consume alcohol while carrying". The usual response to this is "but these are college kids, they drink by natue! just because it's illegal doesn't mean they still won't do it." And our response to that is a twist of beautiful rhetoric: "So if people still do these regardless of legality, why even have restrictions if they don't do anything? There are criminals, they break laws by nature! - oh yeah".
Old July 1, 2010, 01:24 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

BLOOD WILL RUN IN THE STREETS!!!!
Sorry, I had to.
I disagree that there no one would carry and drink. I know of people who drink and drive and I have little faith they would choose not to drink and carry.
"I only had 16. I'm ok as long as I don't have 17."
Old July 1, 2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Sefner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
I disagree that there no one would carry and drink. I know of people who drink and drive and I have little faith they would choose not to drink and carry.
"I only had 16. I'm ok as long as I don't have 17."
Too much time around politicians has taught me to chose my words very carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefner
Obviously no one here will drink alcohol (or consume any other substances that alters judgment to that degree) while carrying their firearm.
Old July 5, 2010, 06:22 AM   #8
blume357

Drinking and Driving....

Well, can't really be a problem since we have laws that say you can't do that......

Since every state has a law that says you can't drive drunk....I'm sure no one does it now.

I'm just amazed at all the laws politicos can come up with to 'protect' us.
Old July 6, 2010, 09:50 AM   #9
johnbt

"Obviously no one here will drink alcohol (or consume any other substances that alters judgment to that degree) while carrying their firearm."

Obviously? Let's just say that the ones who do probably aren't posting about it. There's a difference between taking a nip or having a drink with lunch and being a drunk who is out of control.

It used to be legal to drink alcohol while driving, but the drunks and the nanny state took care of that.

John
Old July 6, 2010, 09:53 AM   #10
johnbt

I need to get back to work, but here's what a quick google search turned up. Drinking and driving was still legal in 3 states in 2007. That's as far as I got with the search. I know it used to be legal in Virginia - not drunk driving, just driving and drinking.

"Drinking And Driving Legal In Some StatesJul 26, 2007 ... Drunk driving may be a crime in every state, but drinking while driving is still legal in three of them Indiana, Mississippi and Montana ...
http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...siteNodeId...1... - Cached - Similar"