The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1
FullCry

+_ .2 grain of powder?

I'm just plinking with pistol rounds but was wondering how much +_ .2 of a grain variance would matter? Thanks in advance, FullCry
Old April 21, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It depends entirely on the powder, the particular cartridge and the charge level.

I recently loaded some 10mm rounds using 800x and the dispenser on my turret press. Now, everyone pretty much knows that 800x meters like crap. I had a variance of 8.0-8.5 grains. With 800x and the 10mm at those levels, it matters not. They may not be the greatest performing things ever, but the purpose of these rounds is to say "BANG!" and pretty well any charge from 7.0 to 10+ grains will do that just fine, in this case.

On the other hand, near max loads of Unique or Bullseye, or any number of other powder/cartridge/charge combinations could be potential catastrophic with just a couple tenths over charge.
Old April 21, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Sport45

I'm not sure what you mean with the underscore. do you mean +0.2gr or +/- 0.2 grain? I suppose in either case as long as your target is 0.2gr below max then there won't be any problem. (Unless you're loading W296/H110 where the 0.2 variance on the low side might be a problem.)
Old April 21, 2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Crankylove

Some .380 Auto loads my brother does, +/- .2 grains literally takes you from a minimum load that may or may not work the action, to a MAX pressure, flatten primers load. As posted above, depends on the cartridge, the powder, and the the charge weight you are shooting for.
Old April 21, 2010, 11:12 PM   #5
USAONE

scales

I have a minature MTM electronic scale and an RCBS 505. There was as much as .3 difference in the scales so I figured the MTM was off. I just purchased an RCBS 10-10 and it agrees with the MTM. There is as much as.3 difference in the 505 & 10-10.
Old April 22, 2010, 04:24 AM   #6
oldandslow

fullcry, 4/22/10

As others have said it depends on the cartridge, caliber and bullet. In a small case, 9mm, I had an inadvertent 0.5 grain overcharge after switching powders (Western 1420 to W-231) and that 0.5 grains extra was enough to blow the grips off the pistol (a CZ 75 compact) and hot metal and powder into my face. So always consider the max. load recommendations as truly the most to put in a case, an downloading a few tenths of a grain may even be advisable depending on the gun.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old April 22, 2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Fishslayer

Quote:
It depends entirely on the powder, the particular cartridge and the charge level.
^^^ This

Quote:
So always consider the max. load recommendations as truly the most to put in a case, an downloading a few tenths of a grain may even be advisable depending on the gun.
And don't forget your eye protection.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:09 PM   #8
FullCry

Thanks fellas, good replies. I was just curious and got most case scenerio's
Old April 25, 2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Clark

44 mag will hardly know the difference.
32 S&W Long or 32 H&R mag can go from wimpy to stuck case in .5 gr.
Old April 27, 2010, 09:05 AM   #10
jells

SMT-138

I'm a little late to the discussion, but let me add that I just ordered a SMT-138 electronic scale off of eBay. I have a Lee balance beam and I lack the confidence I want, especially as a new reloader. I was considering the 5-0-5 but started reading about problems with that scale. What caught my attention is the scale has an accuracy of .05 grains, not .1 or .2. This is important to me, my range from minimum to maximum is only .5 grains, and I want to control the load to something closer than "the gun blows up".

It's made by Scaleco, their web states they mfg. scientific as well as commercial scales. I'll provide a report out once I've used it. The eBay # is 250589908971. Their web is http://www.scales-co.com/cart.php

If you use eBay, be aware they have 2 same scales, one advertised for grams, one for grains (for reloaders). I wrote and asked what is the difference, they are exactly alike. Mine cost $70 + $8.89 shipping, the reloaders was more.
John
Old April 27, 2010, 09:23 AM   #11
darkgael

depends

It depends - as has been said. In a large case like a .44 or a .45 Colt with possibly more than 20 grains of a powder, not much - 0.2 grains is 1% or less.
When I load .25 ACP and the Max charge might be 1.0 grain of 700X (which doesn't meter all that well) then 0.2 grains over is a 20% overcharge.
Pete
Old April 27, 2010, 11:47 AM   #12
temmi

Sorry… I am little late.

Are we talking "over Max" or +-.2gr somewhere in middle.

If so... Did you work up or did you start .2gr over max.

That makes a lot of difference too.

The powder, primer, bullet combo is very important but how that combo works in your gun is most important.

If you have not worked up to that load already I would put those rounds aside until I have done so.