The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1
grubbylabs

What choke for 00 or 000 buck

I have never been Yote hunting but if you were going to take a shot gun with a 00 or 000 buck load what choke would you use? I have a 28" Nova Pump
Old February 5, 2010, 06:55 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Ideally you should pattern your gun to find out which choke works best with the load you intend to use, or try different loads to see which your gun likes.

I'd start with modified and work from there. Some guns/loads do better with more constriction, some with less.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 5, 2010, 07:03 PM   #3
grubbylabs

Well if I go it will be this saturday so no time to pattern the gun, can I use a Modified and get away with 50yard shots or just sit on the side lines. I know they are only yoties but I still don't think that means I should leave one walking around wounded.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:11 PM   #4
oneounceload

If you're not that sure about using your shotgun, how about using a small-bore rifle instead?
Old February 5, 2010, 08:27 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The mod at 50 yards is a doable range... if you can get a safe setup in a likely spot that the wiley yote won't present to the rifle shooters (they often will approach un seen and try to come in downwind of the call) you might get a shot on one the others never see.

But for ideal, they make a yote round in hot 3-3.5 inch like #2 to #t or some such... Look at "Dead yote" ammo on google.
Brent
Old February 5, 2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Uncle Ben

I think the spread will be too great at 50 yards. The pattern will most likely donut, which would mean missing your target all together, or grazing an outside edge of it only.

Slugs would be overkill for a yote, but at the same time would be more accurate at that distance, therefore more humane.

JMO
Old February 5, 2010, 09:10 PM   #7
rantingredneck

At 50 yards your gun is going to throw a big pattern with typical 00 or 000. With larger shot you have lower pellet count thus bigger holes in said pattern. Though on the other hand one or two pellets that size packs enough punch to kill a 'yote.

You may want to consider smaller shot like number 4 buck, or the Dead Coyote loads mentioned by Hogdogs (though they are spendy). They typically use T size shot IIRC. With that you'll get a more full pattern and less chance of the yote finding a hole in it.

Aside from the above, if you are set on using 00. Look for some Federal 12 pellet 3" Flite Control wad shells. With these I've killed deer cleanly at 40 yds using a 21" 11-87 equipped with rifle sights and a Mod choke.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 5, 2010, 09:12 PM   #8
ISP 5353

Try 4 Buck instead.
Old February 6, 2010, 01:58 AM   #9
grubbylabs

Well the buck was what was available without getting more ammo, that's why I was asking about it. I think those who have mentioned there is better ammo for the job are right. my only rifle options are an unsighted .54 or a 22, Or I could have used my bow and that was probably what I was going to use, but I decied to find something else to do. Even though it is only a Yoti I still would not feel right about wounding one so I think I will help a friend do brakes on his car instead and wait till I can now for sure that what I am taking will do the job. Thanks for all the replies.
Steve
Old February 6, 2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Lee Lapin

Steve,

These days about as much depends on the buckshot load chosen as the choke used. We use Federal LE-127 00 (9 pellets, 1325 fps, FliteControl wad) in the house guns here, and in my favorite 18" CYL bore it'll print 4" patterns at 25 yards. I don't run buckshot out any further than about that distance, because round balls with their poor BC loose too much oomph too fast. But I would imagine it would print useful patterns further out. Penetration begins to be the problem though.

Were I to be looking at nailing 'yotes with a scattergun, I think I'd be hunting some different ammo than lead buckshot. http://www.cabelas.com/p-0027268215488a.shtml has gotten some good reports form the field...

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.