The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 28, 2009, 07:29 AM   #1
JarYetz

Stiff Cylinder change

Hey guys, newbie question here.

I picked up my 1858 RNA yesterday, and I'm noticing that changing the cylinder out, and getting it back in for that matter, is not really an easy task. I'm spending a lot of time wiggling and twisting. Yet, there is a vid on youtube of a quick reload. The cylinder falls out of the gun, and the other one slides right in. My cylinder wouldn't fall out in a million years even if I was shaking the pistol.

And getting it back is about as difficult. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Also, this happens with both cylinders I have.

Thoughts?
Old April 28, 2009, 07:40 AM   #2
CaptainCrossman

I have 2 cylinders for my Rem 58- the original goes right in/out, but spare I bought used for $20 was getting stuck- it was the bolt had to be filed down just a hair. It wasn't going down fast enough to even revolve/cock the pistol as well. Then both cylinders went in/out easier.

Rem cylinders can be tricky, and require some finesse and practice to change out. Here's what I do:

turn gun with left side up, right side down

pull pin

half cock then rotate cylinder clockwise, the cylinder should literally fall out, because at half cock the bolt is down inside the frame, the only thing holding the cylinder in, is the hand/ratchet- so you basically roll the cylinder off the hand and it should drop out

if you try to force it or go too fast, it can get stuck- this one comes out easier by just doing to slowly with minimal effort and force
Old April 28, 2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Indian Outlaw

It seems there are two common methods of removing the cylinder on a Remington. One is the YouTube method of drawing the hammer back slightly and letting the cylinder fall out, and then re-inserting the same way. Then there is the half-cock method, whereby you go to half cock and then rotate the cylinder clockwise out the right side of the gun. Getting it back in on half cock is tricky. The first method, once mastered, is faster, but carries the risk of marring the cylinder with the bolt, which isn't completely retracted. The second method is what I use, for though it is harder to re-insert the cylinder (you have to push the "hand" out of the way), it saves the cylinder from dings. I think Clint Eastwood used the second method in Pale Rider, and made it look easy!
Old April 28, 2009, 08:30 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

What IO said.

The trick at half cock is to rotate the cylinder clockwise as it touches the hand. That well help push the hand back in to the frame and allow the cylinder to slide in.

What ever you do, do not file on the bolt.
Old April 28, 2009, 09:56 AM   #5
CaptainCrossman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fM3i5nCusY

if you put the gun sideways with left side up, pull pin, the cylinder should fall right out by itself at half cock on hammer, per video above

one mistake made is people use too much force trying to get the cylinder out, and it actually jams it, instead of removing it

I made this video in 22 seconds- without trying to be fast about it- in reality you could change a cylinder in about half that time, or faster, once you get good at it

This steel frame Navy Arms pistol cost $87 at Kmart, over 25 years ago- those were the days

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; April 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:17 AM   #6
JarYetz

Good vid CC, and thanks to all for the advice.

I think my problem has been putting the gun at half cock before I pull the cylinder pin out. I'll be trying this again as soon as I get home tonight.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Indian Outlaw

That's method number 1.

Method number 2 can be seen at 3:26 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGSGU...eature=related
and at 6:25 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyoT8JmFfeY

The hammer on half cock can be seen clearly in the second video. Note the clockwise rotation of the cylinder as he removes it.

Last edited by Indian Outlaw; April 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:16 AM   #8
CaptainCrossman

jaryetz:

yes, pulling hammer before pulling pin, starts turning cylinder early, and can jam the cylinder on the hand

pull lever/pin first, then half cock- it should fall right out easily, or just nudge it out with a slight push- the trick is, hold the gun on its right side, use gravity to pull it out
Old April 28, 2009, 06:17 PM   #9
JarYetz

Trust those that know...

I was so convinced something was wrong with my gun, that I did what you guys said...and promptly dropped the cylinder right out onto my foot!

Seriously though, thanks a lot for the help...its working like a charm for me now.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:39 AM   #10
CaptainCrossman

there ya go-

it's all a matter of finesse