The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 19, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Team Roper

1873 Cattleman EL Patron in 357

any word on the 1873 CATTLEMAN EL PATRĂ“N from Uberti, sounds nice for a SAA.
Anyone shot one or have anything to say about it.
Old April 19, 2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Hawg

Haven't shot one or even seen one but the Cattleman is a good gun. With the Wolff springs it ought to be a nice smooth action. I don't care much for the checkered grips but that might be a plus for you.
Old April 19, 2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Team Roper

Have heard good things on the cattleman, and they feel nice in you hand, Got the 357 for easy ammo supply and the use of 38 for playing and the fact reload supplies are so hard to come by right now for 45lc.
I called about getting smooth walnut grips, no go have to send it back to Uberti for them they said. wonder could I change them? anyone know?
But the stock grips felt pretty nice and secure in my hand on the gun shop model, I think it was a Stallion, that had been tuned as well. We will see and I will post my opinion for all.
Cheers

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote.
Old April 19, 2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Hawg

Any grips you get will have to be fitted to the grip frame. All Ubertis have grips and frames fitted together.
Old April 24, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Team Roper

Uberti 1873 Cattleman El Patron

Ok here my opinion of the Uberti El Patron
I took it down and cleaned it well both getting familar with it and cleaning any factory lube from the barrel etc, maybe not needed but it helped getting my brain around it some.
I shot 50 rounds of 38 sp 125 rn and about 25 rounds of 357 148 gr fmj thru the 1873 and my Ruger GP100.

After getting use to the action and feel of the 1873 I think this is a very fine revlover. The action is very smooth with just enough trigger action to suite me well. Had to get used to the SA, The hammer has to be fully cocked, had a couple of misfires due to not being used to the action, but it was me not the gun. It handled the 38's very well, felt great as far as recoil and keeping the gun in the palm of the hand as to be on target for the next discharge. May try some cowboy load 357's.

The 357's were fine as well, but seem to be a bit much for my taste, blow by for sure and required more concentration on keeping the gun ready for the next round. Of course I expected more kick and barrel lift with the 357 and the gun handled it well but for me and my needs I will shoot more 38's thru it than 357. 357's better in the GP100 just not as fun.

Very happy with the gun and very glad i bought it. It takes a very close second to my colt 1911 as a fun gun to shoot. It just feels good, love the action, very accurate, great metal and workmanship. Click the picture, looks like the Ruger needs some fine tuning Huh !
Cheers