The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1
DaveInPA

Load development for a bolt gun?

Up to this point, all of my reloading has been for pistols and semi-auto rifles. In the near future, I will be buying a bolt action rifle in .223 or .308.

Now of course when I reload for the AR, the brass is full length sized every time. But, for a bolt gun, I plan on firing the brass once to fire form it to my chamber and then neck sizing it from then on forward.

The question is, should I wait until the cases have been fire formed and I start neck sizing them to bother starting with serious load development? Maybe load a batch of brass with just a start charge and fire it through the rifle once to fire form it, and then begin load development?

Any input from you bolt action guys reloading for accuracy would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Dave
Old January 6, 2009, 08:11 PM   #2
rn22723

Google Optimal Charge Weight, and you will find a great method for developing rifle load in any platform!. And, there many books Zediker had Reloading for Competitiion about load development.......

You should head right into load development....why waste components? You have a lot learn that is for sure. You will not be able to neck size totally, you will have to bump the shoulder down the road. You should invest in a few books and imerse yourself.
Old January 6, 2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Shoney

DaveInPa
How many cases are you going to fire form?

Yes, it is ok to start load develoment with FL sized cases, but remember, this only gets you in the general accuracy area. I prefer fireformed neck sized cases to do serious load develpment, in fact a lot of my most accurate loads are with brass on it's 5th and 6th firing.

Somewhere shortly after the 6th firing, you will need to FL size again. You may wish to fireform all the FL sized brass with pistol powder and wax bullets, as it is low in cost.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 6, 2009, 08:51 PM   #4
DaveInPA

Probably 100-200 cases. Can you explain this pistol powder/wax bullet deal?
Old January 6, 2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Sam06

Dave, I also "Fireform" Brass before I start really getting serious. What I do is check bullet powder and Primer combo and see if anything really stands out. Once that is done I neck size. I also Trim the OD on the neck a little just to uniform it if I don't have a tight neck chamber. You can get by with neck sizing for a while but you will need to knock the body back to size eventually. You can either FL size(I don't) or use a Body die. Forester makes them and they work well. I will usually Hit my brass with the body die after about 6-8 neck sizings, I anneal at the same time. When you do this you are very close to being back to square one.

Off subject here but when you get into Bolt guns here is a piece of advice: Find a good used Remington 700 PSS in 223 or 308. You can do a lot with them and they are usually fairly accurate from the get go. If the barrel is not that great have it pulled and cut down a little, then re chambered and re crowned. A good smith can blueprint the action and aftermarket trigger are all over the place. You will always have a good base action and stock to work with. The price for a 700 Action is way up there and its almost worth going to wlly and getting a 700 to chop up. If you have the dinero to burn a bat action is very nice as is the neiska.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Shoney

You can go to hobby/craft stores and buy large blocks of hard parafin. Melt it into a shollow pan to the depth of the neck of the cartridge you wish to load. Let the wax cool, but still a little warm. Take a case that is trashed with an unsized neck, and cut off the bottom, using it to punch thru wax bullets.

Depending on the case size, add 10 gr Unique or Blue Dot, (you will have to experiment with the charge to get adequate forming pressure) with the case upright, fill it with cornmeal or cream of wheat, and cap off with the wax bullet. Keep the cartridbes upright.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111