The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Idlechater

Glass Bed or Oil Stock - Which First

Hey Gang:

Well I have stripped all the old finish off of my M77 stock. I am wondering if I should glass the action before applying the oil finish to the stock, or do the oil finish first. My gut is telling me to do the glassing first and then apply the finish, but I just want to check and be sure.

Thanks.

Last edited by Idlechater; January 10, 2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old January 7, 2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Toney

Bed first, it will stick better to the wood than the oil
Old January 8, 2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Tom2

agreed

Glass bed is basically epoxy. I have found it will not stick very well or at all, to milsurp stocks that have had oil/grease penetration. Of course, if you don't get the finish inside of the cutouts that you intend to bed, that might not be a problem.
Old January 8, 2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

glass or oil

Dear Shooter:
Right on guys! Get your Dremel tool out and with a round burr cut SOME area out, especially behind the recoil shoulder, rough up things up a bit as suggested - get some Brownells "steel bed" and their new spray-on release agent like I just did and have at it as already suggested.
DO NOT, do not, bed beyond the face of that action - do not bed the barrel channel! You will, after you're done relieve the bbl just in front of the action face. You want that bbl. floated cardboard like all the way out! It'll shoot!
I like "Tru-Oil" as a finish.
Harry B.
Old January 9, 2006, 08:58 PM   #5
hIPSHOT33

I would say ,Bed firest . I have had good luck with Brownell's Acra-Glass . I agree with Herry B . Stay behind the face of the actino . I use one layer of electrical tape from the face of the action out to the End of the stock . That gives me a good free flote on the barrel .
Old January 31, 2006, 12:44 PM   #6
DiplomaticBlackHawk

someone here might smack me upside the head and please do if need be lol but I have tried a lot of stuff , cheap , ecpensive , top of the line , the list goes on. But I bought a mil-surplus 30-06 and used a different , maybe taboo method.I was doing some body work on my once all original , mint 68 caddy convertible after it was STOLEN when I was at the sheriff's office getting my CCL , trust me I will stop here PM me in a day or so once i've calmed down again from talkin about it .Well I desided IF i had to fill anything I would only use duraglass , not any bondo crap , all I use on anything besides lead , but any way I used it to bed the rifle and it work better than anything i have ever use , took a little more effort but ended up making a hell of a gun. Buy one cheap as heck and try it , might make a fun project.