The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2017, 11:07 PM   #26
hdwhit

Quote:
stagpanther wrote:
I'm simply sick and tired of all the friggin with the riggin to get it to work...
To offer a different perspective, note that you want to switch chronograph technologies because you are tired of the "friggin with the riggin" but as you have seen both of the systems you are looking at are reported to have their own share of adjustments and fidgeting to get working correctly.
Old October 22, 2017, 11:33 PM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
To offer a different perspective, note that you want to switch chronograph technologies because you are tired of the "friggin with the riggin" but as you have seen both of the systems you are looking at are reported to have their own share of adjustments and fidgeting to get working correctly.
I expect that--to some degree, but it's hard to imagine anything as bad or worse.

My chrony has done OK over the years--even with upgrades it still was a bit hit or miss when it felt like performing consistently.

Appreciate all the comments--I just placed my order at LabRadar.
Old October 23, 2017, 12:15 PM   #28
RC20

I can't afford the Magno or the Radar, sigh
Old October 23, 2017, 12:17 PM   #29
RC20

I too apologize to the OP for going off topic.

I think its been an interesting discussion.

Learned a lot and I like the bore sight idea.
Old October 23, 2017, 01:19 PM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
I too apologize to the OP for going off topic.
No need to apologize to me--I don't mind. Administrators tho--that's another story.
Old October 23, 2017, 02:13 PM   #31
hounddawg

Hope I am not being too nosy would you mind telling us what factors made you decide to go with the radar unit over the magnetic ? Being a retiree on a fixed budget I won't be buying one anytime soon but just curious. There may be a day when I run out of other goodies on my wish list and upgrade my optical chrony
Old October 23, 2017, 02:25 PM   #32
disseminator

Seems like someone could really made a nice profit if they came up with a simple chronograph that is easy to deploy and accurate and CHEAP.

The Lab Radar does seem the most flexible out there right now but it doesn't meet any of the above too well.

Let us know how it works for you.
Old October 23, 2017, 07:49 PM   #33
ed308

I'll make the decision on this subject around Christmas. I need something since I reload. It'll be the Magneto V3 or the Labradar. Looking forward to Stag's review. Hope they go on sale around Christmas too!
Old October 23, 2017, 08:55 PM   #34
stagpanther

I like the fact--well, it's radar--so it tracks the bullet for extended distances. I figure if it's good enough for Hornady--it's good enough for me.
Old October 23, 2017, 09:10 PM   #35
hounddawg

Very cool, I like tech also. Once I get the stock I fell in love last match I might be able to start doing some upgrades on my support equipment later on. Be sure to give us a review once you get it to the range a couple of times
Old October 24, 2017, 04:06 AM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
Be sure to give us a review once you get it to the range a couple of times
I'll try--but it might be a bit slow--gonna be hopefully hunting the next couple of months--but I'll be sure to test it's all-weather capabilities (another reason I was drawn to the technology) since the plummet into deep-freeze winter here in Maine is not far off.

I'm doing development of some 6mm creedmoor for an AR build I just did--I really would like to know when I'm "getting up there" in some of the loads.
Old October 24, 2017, 10:46 AM   #37
Ike666

I drove by the 1000-yard range a Quantico a few weeks back and they were using Doppler radar there for their testing. Must be nice. They had two set up.

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capab...s/default.aspx
Old October 24, 2017, 01:38 PM   #38
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator View Post
Seems like someone could really made a nice profit if they came up with a simple chronograph that is easy to deploy and accurate and CHEAP.

The Lab Radar does seem the most flexible out there right now but it doesn't meet any of the above too well.

Let us know how it works for you.
This reminds me of a sign in a machine shop": "Fast Delivery, High Quality, Low Cost - Pick Any Two"

In normal operations, the Labradar is easy to set up and is quite accurate, but it's not cheap. Typically all you have to do is place it on the bench next to your rifle and point it at the target. The only menu options I usually change are the velocity range (handgun versus rifle), muzzle offset, and selecting or starting a Series to record data. I usually don't change any of the other menu options; for example I leave the bullet weight set to 100 grains since I don't use the energy calculation. If you are operating with very low or very high muzzle blast firearms, you may have to change other options, but it works for all the "normal" firearms that I have.
Old October 24, 2017, 03:24 PM   #39
higgite

One advantage that Magnetospeed has over Labradar is that it works at short range. Labradar needs at least a 50 foot long range to work. That eliminated it from consideration for me because most of my shooting is with pistols from 3 to 15 yards, indoor and outdoor. The Magnetospeed works well for me using the optional rail adapter with my pistols.

Last edited by higgite; October 24, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old October 24, 2017, 06:02 PM   #40
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgite View Post
One advantage that Magnetospeed has over Labradar is that it works at short range. Magnetospeed needs at least a 50 foot long range to work. That eliminated it from consideration for me because most of my shooting is with pistols from 3 to 15 yards, indoor and outdoor. The Magnetospeed works well for me using the optional rail adapter with my pistols.
Interesting comment regarding the minimum range... (I think you meant to say the Labradar needs a 50 foot minimum range...) I have not seen the 50 foot minimum requirement, in fact I've shot at 7 yards and the Labradar has reliably recorded a velocity. I haven't used it at a range less than 7 yards, so it may not work as well at your short range of 3 yards. Certainly the Magnetospeed records a velocity within a few inches of the muzzle, so that presents no practical limitation on the minimum range. I may try the Labradar with closer targets; I'd guess I'd have to place the Labradar close to the muzzle to get a reading at very short ranges.
Old October 24, 2017, 06:25 PM   #41
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverGunFan
(I think you meant to say the Labradar needs a 50 foot minimum range...)
Yes, I did. Thanks for the catch. I have now corrected my post #39. I saw Labradar's minimum 50' range length requirement in the FAQs on their website. I don't remember seeing it in their ads when I was looking at it. I just went back and looked at the FAQs again and see they also have a list of max distances that it will detect bullets by caliber.
Old October 26, 2017, 09:05 AM   #42
Doublehelix3216

I have the Labradar as well, and I love mine. I have not experienced any issues whatsoever once I got it setup correctly. I have used primarily at an outdoor range, but I did set it up once at an indoor range and had no issues, even with other shooters in close proximity (2 bays away). I actually got stuck at a bay next to a wall, and it still worked perfectly, which surprised me.

I feel bad for those that have had issues with their LR, especially after spending that kind of money. I am a HUGE advocate however, and can't imagine going back to any other type of technology.

I do use external USB battery packs however and have never actually used anything internal. I keep 2 batteries in my bag so I always have a backup if one dies. (Has only happened once when I forgot to charge them for a few weeks.)
Old October 26, 2017, 09:50 AM   #43
ed308

I saw where someone has developed mount for the Magneto that attaches the bipod or lower rail on an AR or bolt. I think the cost was $50. That's a nice development for the Magneto since the big knock is the changed point of impact. But it moves the cost to the point where the Labradar is only $100-$125 more.
Old October 26, 2017, 10:24 AM   #44
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed308
I saw where someone has developed mount for the Magneto that attaches the bipod or lower rail on an AR or bolt. I think the cost was $50.
That's what I use to attach it to my pistols that have pic rails. It costs $25.
Old October 26, 2017, 09:25 PM   #45
std7mag

If i had the funds would be doppler all the way.
I still am testing for accuracy while running my chrono, so i don't want anything attached to my barrel.
Old October 26, 2017, 11:13 PM   #46
ed308

That's what I use to attach it to my pistols that have pic rails. It costs $25.

This was different since it had a long rod sticking out which the Magneto attached to.

Here it is:

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa...arris-adaptor/

By the time you buy this device, cost is almost the same as a Labradar.
Old October 26, 2017, 11:24 PM   #47
higgite

Quote:
This was different since it had a long rod sticking out which the Magneto attached.

Here it is:

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa...arris-adaptor/
Holy mackerel! I had not seen that one. By the time you bought all the components for that set up, you’d be out another $155 bucks. I haven’t used my MS on a rifle yet, but when I do, it will be with the included strap system.
Old October 27, 2017, 07:53 AM   #48
ed308

Including that price for the attachment puts you at $500. Since I don't have the Magneto V3, might as well spend the extra $50 for the Labradar.
Old October 27, 2017, 09:32 AM   #49
stagpanther

I think the labradar also records, stores and downloads more data as well--that's a BIG factor for me.
Old October 27, 2017, 03:09 PM   #50
stagpanther

Well, look what the cat dragged in today!

Notice the bottom right "limited 12 month warranty." Hmmm...really?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171027_154234_HDR.jpg (136.4 KB, 114 views)