The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2010, 09:54 AM   #26
Xfire68

Well I must say that I do feel much better not only knowing that RCBS will replace the pin but I am not the only one that has had this issue.

I also did not think that my venting would get such a response from RCBS and Lee fans alike.

I will call RCBS and get it replaced.

Thanks for the tip Medalguy! I was wondering why the primers were shooting out of my Single stage press! They were bouncing all over the place no matter how much pressure I placed on the lever. I had to move the die to the Turret press to keep the primers under control!
Old November 8, 2010, 11:30 AM   #27
chiefr

I have decapped many THOUSANDS of MIL BRASS with RCBS dies. 308, 3006, and 223. IN some cases, it takes extreme force to push the primers out past the initial military crimp.
Having said that, I have broken many pins working with MIL BRASS. Many years ago RCBS sent me some replacements for free. Later, I purchased several dozen spare pins for around 25 cents each. I do not know how much they cost now. These pins are easy to replace.
I have never broken a pin on any non-mil brass.
Old November 8, 2010, 03:40 PM   #28
TXJohn

I also have broken decapper pins but one phone call to RCBS and in a few days had new decapper pins no charge. They are a class operation all the way.
Old November 8, 2010, 06:14 PM   #29
Edward429451

I believe post #14 nailed the bullseye on this.

I think that means you gotta be 10% smarter than the die and it it'll work fine.
Going too fast is an operator error and not an equipment failure. Everytime I break a pin, it's my fault.
Old November 9, 2010, 01:13 PM   #30
Xfire68

Well I am very pleased with RCBS's customer service! It did take 15 minutes on hold to speak to someone but, not only are they sending me some extra pins they are sending me a whole new unit/die.

Had I bothered to check with RCBS prior to posting this thread the title would have been a bit different!

I have had similar service when dealing with Lee so lets just hope Hornady's service is on par with RCBS and Lee?

Thanks Brian! (RCBS customer service rep).
Old November 9, 2010, 01:19 PM   #31
azar92

I've only called RCBS twice that I can recall. Both times they sent me free stuff! Their C.S. is top notch.
Old November 9, 2010, 01:53 PM   #32
oneounceload

EVERYTHING RCBS sells comes with a lifetime warranty for free parts replacement, even if you bought it used at a garage sale. They send the stuff right out to you.
Old November 9, 2010, 05:16 PM   #33
lll Otto lll

Quote:
EVERYTHING RCBS sells comes with a lifetime warranty for free parts replacement....
That's incorrect. Many of the products they sell only come with a 1 or 2 year warranty.

•ChargeMaster Scale/Combo/Dispenser,
•RangeMaster Scale,
•AmmoMaster Chronograph
•Trim Pro Power Trimmer
•Trim Mate Case Prep Center
•ProMelt Furnace
•Sidewinder Case Tumbler
•Vibratory Case Cleaner
•RASS Bench RASS Accessories
Old December 4, 2010, 01:44 AM   #34
Xfire68

Sorry for warming up this cold thread but, I just had to update on this product.

First of all yes RCBS does have excellent customer service and I was happy with them even though it took 2 weeks to get the replacement pins.

I tried out the die again using the tips and info posted on the thread and I still managed to break 2 more pins and bent 2 more! I took the spring out and it helped (I think) a bit but, I then had trouble getting the primers to drop out all the way half the time. Having a ton of brass to decap I was getting impatient and frustrated.

I ordered a Lee universal decapping die as it was my first choice anyway and it did not disappoint me tonight! I not only did not need to "Be careful" to adjust the die a certain way it works on all calibers so there is no need to buy 2 dies to do the job. Decapping should not be a complicated job as it became with the RCBS die!:barf:

The Lee die is just a better tool hands down.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:53 AM   #35
Wildalaska

Quote:
I took the spring out and it helped (I think) a bit but, I then had trouble getting the primers to drop out all the way half the time. Having a ton of brass to decap I was getting impatient and frustrated.
Spring? What spring?

Quote:
The Lee die is just a better tool hands down.

No, just easier for you to use

Sincerely

WildigottofingthatspringAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 4, 2010, 07:34 AM   #36
WESHOOT2

pin break

I use depriming dies for handgun cartridges from LEE, Lyman, Dillon, RCBS, and Hornady.

I have broken the decap pin on all of them. I keep spares.

Sometimes it's a bit of debris from the cleaning process. Sometimes the case enters the die off-center. Sometimes the flash hole isn't centered in the case.
Sometimes it's something else.
But it happens all the time.......
Old December 4, 2010, 08:06 AM   #37
F. Guffey

Fair and objective? I have a brother that drives Fords, he feels the same way about Chevrolet's, he blames everything on Chevrolet's, when he can not sleep he blames Chevrolet, because he is neither fair or objective asking him how a Chevrolet p/u can keep him up at night would be a mistake. Down there is Louisiana Chevrolet's rust, at night time they make so much noise while rusting he can not sleep.

Light a candle or cuss the darkness, I have ole reloading equipment that uses a primer punch and hammer, I guess that would make the tool 'UNIVERSAL #1'. It did not work on Berdan primers, there could have been a primer punch with two and three pins for those small multiple flash holes on the Berdan primed cases to me it was not worth the effort, could have removed them from the bottom or used water.

F. Guffey
Old December 4, 2010, 08:43 AM   #38
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have an ancient RockChucker I inherited from my brother who inherited it from an old sergeant of his. He also threw in a bunch of RCBS dies. When I first started reloading, I broke at least half-a-dozen pins. But it's been a long time since I have broken a single one on that machine. And I've never broken a pin when I use RCBS dies on my Hornady LNL. Not sure why, my guess is that you just need to properly adjust the dies and not go at it like a giant gorilla.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:20 AM   #39
t45

I mix and match componants from both RCBS and Lee. I use RCBS presses and powder scales and some dies. Most of my dies are from Lee. I think Lee makes better quality dies than some of their other equipment.
Old December 4, 2010, 12:44 PM   #40
Xfire68

Quote:
No, just easier for you to use
Wild, I stand by my opinion just as you do yours. They are just opinions and we all have them.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:03 PM   #41
Xfire68

Quote:
my guess is that you just need to properly adjust the dies and not go at it like a giant gorilla.
You are making a pretty big assumption that A.) I don't know what I am doing and B.) I treat my tools like garbage?

I am no longer a working mechanic as I have been disabled for going on 16 years now but, my mind has not lost any of it's mechanical ability and can till if a process is working properly or not.

When on the phone with the RCBS customer service rep he said that all of the problems were common and that the pin gets off center if you don't hold it on center when tightening the pin down.

None of these issues are present with the Lee die. The same decapping pin is used on the Universal die as it is on the caliber specific dies and they are 10x stronger then the RCBS pins.

And just so this does not blow up anymore into a Green V.S Red/Blue/Orange I am not anti RCBS I just don't like this ONE tool that I bought to do a simple job.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:13 PM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

Dinosaur....

While I have broken a few decapping pins over the years, the last time I bought some replacment pins they were about 10 for $1!

I don't use a universal decapping die. Perhaps its because my time is my own, when reloading is concerned, but I'm in no hurry, about any of it.

I gave up on my progressive press nearly a decade ago. Had more bad rounds off it than I had in the previous 20 years!

I do everything batch wise now days, and have for years.

I'm not a big fan of Lee dies, although I do have a couple sets. Most of my dies are RCBS, with a handful of Lyman dies still going strong 40 years after I bought them!

I do nearly all my decapping ( and all the ititial GI brass) with the punch and base set from Lee. While I'm no0t a big fan of their dies, I recommend the decapping set! If you break it, its because you are an idiot. With the punch, you have to feel for the hole, and even the toughest crimped primers come out with a couple of wacks from a hammer.

If you think it takes too much time and effort to do, (and sometimes I do a thousand rounds in a batch), then, for you, it does. But for me, it is not a big deal. I do it when I have time, and when a batch is ready for the next step, I go on to that.

I also prime by hand these days. Yes, it takes time, but I found that the feel of had seating each primer was more important that production rate. The feel of seating a primer, or a bullet is important to me, and lets me know instantly, if there is anything wrong. Thats the main reason I stopped using the progressive press. Too many things going on at the same time to get a good feel.

FYI, I reload for over 30 cartridges, and have thousands of rounds on hand, nearly all reloads, and have been doing it since the late 60s. IT may not work for you, but it works just fine for me.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:26 PM   #43
Xfire68

44 AMP, I to have plenty of time and normally would not be in a hurry at all. The brass I am decapping is once fired range brass in calibers I either don't shoot or don't shoot much of such as .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

I decap it all so the primer pocket is open then clean it in the stainless media. I sell these calibers on this and other forums to help fund my reloading and shooting hobby.

I should not go about this part of the process any different as I would do it for myself as fare as speed goes. I can only stand up so long and when I am done I am done.
Old December 4, 2010, 03:43 PM   #44
CPTMurdoc30

WOW lots of RCBS hate. I guess it is because the are based out of CA.

RCBS will fix or replace anything that says RCBS on it. I have an RCBS uniflow powder measure that my grandfather purchased new in the 50's or 60's I sent it back to RCBS because it got stored by the army and got all rusted. I called them and asked what they could do. I shipped it to them the next day (From VA mind you) in 1 week I had it back it had brand new guts and hopper installed. I just wanted it cleaned up and working. the rebuilt the thing for FREE.

I will never purchase another LEE product ever. everything I have ever had of theirs SUCKED and was broken after 5 to 15 minutes of use. Shoot my brother snapped a press in half reloading 222 rem ammo. it snapped while seating a bullet. I have spent hours on the phone with lee customer service to only be let down by the large lack of support there really is coming out of Lee.

I don't understand what all the complaining is about. You broke it. all decapping pins break I have broke lee, Hornady, RCBS, redding, Pacific, Herters you name it I bet I broke a decapping pin on it. Every single time one has broke on me it was my fault weather it was not catching the berdan primer or not seating the case fully into the shell holder.

Me I will not allow a lee product to soil my reloading bench with its poor designs and even worse production.

If you give them a chance RCBS will make it right every time.
Old December 4, 2010, 04:27 PM   #45
Xfire68

CPTMurdoc30, you are doing exactly what I did not want the thread to turn into anymore then it has already?

I never said I hate RCBS I only said that I don't like this ONE tool from them? Why some of you seem to over look that just amazes me!:barf:
Old December 4, 2010, 04:40 PM   #46
floydster

CPTMurdoc30,
I think maybe you should re-think about Lee reloading, they started more people into reloading then all the other company's combined.
Thier products are fine and at a great price, and I have been at the game for over 56 years and I have had Redding,RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, Herters, Lyman and Lee--- they all have thier faults in one form or another.
Old December 4, 2010, 04:59 PM   #47
CPTMurdoc30

Why should I rethink the fact that every single product I have ever had by them was faulty or broke withint 15 minutes of normal use?

First I had the lee shell holders kit 75% of my brass would not fit I went and putchased an RCBS shell holder and low and behold every piece of brass fit.

Second I purchased a hand priming tool. I seated 4 primers before it blew apart in my hand. The casting was cracked.

Third lee universal decapping tool with unbreakable pin. the thing didn't work but 10 minutes before the pin broke on a boxer primed twice shot case.

Fourth my brother was loading 222 ammo on his classic cast press and bang it snapped in half.

I have called and called customer service and never once was I greeted with a solved problem. for the shell holders they insisted my brass was bad. So I found 3 different drawings for the brass in question and measured all measurements and they were spot on. I measured the shell holders and low and behold they were way out of spec.

I by my own stupidity got a case stuck in my Hornady reloading dies. I didn't have a stuck case removal tool so I used the decapping pin to beat the case out and I bent it. I called hornady and told them I need to order a new one because I used it to beat out a case they said no problem took my info and sent me a new one free of charge.

Every time I have had to call Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Redding or Dillon my problem was solved and everyone was happy. Every time I called Lee I got told it was all my fault and they never stood behind their product for me.

So why do I need to rethink my position on Lee JUNK?

I am a big backer of RCBS because I grew up 30 minutes away from the factory. My dad still has custom dies they made for my grandfather back in the fifties.

I am mearly stating about the customer service I have recieved at both RCBS and Lee. Is all I am doing.

If you like lee go for it waste your money if you want. I prefer quality so that is why Green and blue are what is on my loading bench.
Old December 4, 2010, 09:21 PM   #48
floydster

Not to believe!!!!
Old December 4, 2010, 10:38 PM   #49
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Lyman , lifetime free replacement if you break it !
Old December 5, 2010, 08:58 AM   #50
rogn

die quality

Long ago and far away, when I had an auto repair facility, I dug around in different old U-joints and found a needle bearing that neatly replaced the decap pins in the RCBS dies at thetime. One bearing cap= lifetime supply. Never broke one since then. Might be worth checking into. I would also say that if someone has the expexted result with and piece of equiptment, then they can hardly have wasted their money! Have talked w/Lee and Hornady AND Redding, and all CS has been very satisfactory. The only issue I can remember is that I thought Lees quote on custom work was a tad high. A lot of problems using anyones dies can be reduced by observing successful application of the die and remembering the muscle effort needed for instance to FL size and decap, if there is a change in the muscle memory, stop and regroup. Doesnt work all the time , but itll save the day more often than not! I'm sorry CptnM has had so much trouble with Lee, but from reading his posts I wonder if his approach to speaking w/CS might have soured the relationship. Sorry, just had to say it.