The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 23, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Ricklin

Cz 52 Wooo Hooo!!!!

Ya gotta get one. Best 120 bucks I have spent in a long time. I bought one as a what the hell, 120 bucks I'm already ordering the CZ 82s so why not throw one of these in the pile, only added a few bucks to the freight. I got a 1953 production pistol, virtually like new.

Wow, the 7.62 X 25 is the bomb!!! Literally, after firing my 82 the report of the 52 was pretty loud. Reminded me of 357 mag, but different. More of a roar maybe.

Probably not a great SD round, unless one could get the bad guys to que up in a nice straight line, no need wasting ammo on this scum one shot well placed would take out several!!!! And the ones to the shooters right will be taken out by the supersonic flying brass as well, very efficent! Brass ends up strung out from hell to breakfast up to 25-30 feet away from the shooter. Be careful I'm sure the brass would leave a mark.

I have never seen penetration like this from a pistol round. I set up a big Alder stump, still green. In one side, out the other. 16" of wet hardwood, WOW. Reminded me of the old commie steel core ammo and the SKS, that stuff was pretty much unstoppable.

The 82 was pretty sweet as well, much more comfy to shoot than the PA-63. Both of my new pistols are accurate, and with cheapo ammo as well. Easy to keep em all in the black at 30 feet. Just casual shooting for the first time out. I also brought my 17 YO neice with me, her first time ever with handguns, or maybe even guns in general. I brought my single six and a couple of boxes of .22 bulk. She did great. She even put a couple of mags through the 52 trooper that she is, she seemed to like the single six the best.

And I had a blast with that old 52.
Old November 24, 2008, 07:10 AM   #2
jughead2

cz-52

one should see my son shoot one of those things. it is his carry weapon. out to 100 yard he is BAD. 3 out of 5 in a 4 in. cinder block. it does penetrate. stuff my 45 bounces off of it goes through like a knife through butter.
Old November 24, 2008, 09:25 AM   #3
jsmaye

Quote:
I have never seen penetration like this from a pistol round. I set up a big Alder stump, still green. In one side, out the other. 16" of wet hardwood, WOW.
Check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm, where they test the penetration of a Kevlar helmet with various pistol and rifle rounds. The 7.62x25 out-performs all the pistols by a significant margin.
Old November 24, 2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Ricklin

Uhh, ya. That will leave a mark!! The 7.62 X 25 seems to be the com block equiv. of the .357 mag. But with it's smaller bullet, and FMJ it has to be the king of penetration in a pistol round.

I gotta get a hold of a box of the S+B commercial stuff. To go along with a tin or two of surplus. I think I will be shooting this one a lot.

I want a couple more of these 52s as well. I won't be surprised if they end up in short supply, or banned by the Obama bunch.

I love a good bargain, and the CZ52s from SOG are all that. Highly recommended. Cheap, accurate, and powerful. Just be certain you have a good backstop, and stay away from the shooters right!

Reloading may not be an option tho, one does have to find the brass. I'll just shoot the surplus stuff, and bring my metal detector for cleanup
Old November 24, 2008, 03:13 PM   #5
bigjack59

I have one of these and there are the long rod penetrator of the pistol world (that the amor penetrating round in a M1 tank.) Does anybody know of reliable hollow points? Got some in the Glaser config, but after box o truth debunked those I want a hollow point.
Old November 24, 2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Pitts Spcl

Quote:
Ya gotta get one. Best 120 bucks I have spent in a long time. I bought one as a what the hell, 120 bucks I'm already ordering the CZ 82s so why not throw one of these in the pile, only added a few bucks to the freight. I got a 1953 production pistol, virtually like new.
Dang it, you've got me thinking about getting one now. Sounds like you like yours. How's it fit in your hand compared to the -82?
Old November 25, 2008, 12:38 AM   #7
kozak6

Quote:
Does anybody know of reliable hollow points?
Wolf's JHP's are suposed to be quite good.
Old November 25, 2008, 01:50 AM   #8
Socrates

Where did you get yours? It would have to be C&R for Kali...

Thanks

s
Old November 25, 2008, 02:35 AM   #9
B. Lahey

Quote:
The "Wolf Gold" HPs are pretty nice (they are not made by crappy Wolf, Wolf just puts their logo on the box), but the king o' the 7.62x25mm HP pile is the ammo made by Reed's Custom. That stuff smokes. Tremendous muzzle-blast and a nice "THWACK!" when the projectile hits the 50 yard plywood where you attach targets at my usual range.

I don't know if the Reed loads would be more effective than the WolfGold, but they sure sound more impressive.

BoooomThwack! BoooomThwack! Lots of fun.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:32 AM   #10
jsmaye

Quote:
How's it fit in your hand compared to the -82?
Not the greatest - it's a bit narrow (and I have small hands) and it tends to point nose down. The 82/83 grips and points better. But it's still one of my favorites. Looks great, shoots an incredible round, and I have some aftermarket grips on the way that will hopefully help the minor issue with the grip.

Ricklin - the S&B ammo is fair-to-good, but it's milder than the milsurp. It's designed for the weaker Makarov-type action rather than the more robust roller-cam -52.

Last edited by jsmaye; November 25, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old November 25, 2008, 10:03 AM   #11
bigjack59

Thanks to everyone for pointing me at some ammo. I will be buying some up soon!

Not the greatest - it's a bit narrow (and I have small hands) and it tends to point nose down. The 82/83 grips and points better. But it's still one of my favorites. Looks great, shoots an incredible round, and I have some aftermarket grips on the way that will hopefully help the minor issue with the grip.

As for the thin comment, yes it is thin, but fits nicely in a back of the pants conceal holster!
Old November 25, 2008, 10:18 AM   #12
noelf2

I've been talking myself out of getting a 52 for a couple of years now. Picked a couple up at gun shows just to see the feel and they seem a bit aukward, but very solid (although one rattled around a bit, but I won't hold that against the whole bunch). The price is great and the surplus ammo is cheap. I just like the looks of the Tokarev better, but it costs considerably more. I'll probably wait until they're all gone, and kick myself. I'm going for a Tokarev next to round out my Soviet WWII collection (got C&R, will spend).
Old November 25, 2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I keep meaning to buy a CZ-52. It will help keep my Polish Tokarev company...
Old November 25, 2008, 09:40 PM   #14
Ricklin

The grip on the 52 feels 'odd' at first grasp. Like another poster said skinny, rather long as well. It does grow on you tho, and is pretty decent to shoot. My niece bruised her hand a little bit, not bad tho, shoulda been watching her grip a little closer. Oh well experence is the best teacher. I did show her proper grip technique. Teenagers usually have to learn for themselves!!!
Old November 26, 2008, 04:30 PM   #15
Ricklin

Sad news

My 17 YO niece who had such a good time with this last Sunday posted her target on the fridge at the house here. Very cute. I'm proud of her.
She is now recovering from surgery. Very sad the cyst upon which they operated appears to be cancerous, she is scheduled for exploratory abdominal surgery at OHSU soon. Her Dr. told her today that it looks like cancer, and it looks extensive.
She's a sweet kid, and has already been through some incredibily rough times in her life. I'm really glad I brought her out shooting, and I will pray for her. Her life is just starting. If she survives, she will probably never have kids of her own. She has had very few good times in her life, I pray that we can enjoy many more afternoons of shooting together.
Old November 27, 2008, 10:50 PM   #16
chromedome82

I'm in the process of getting my c&r right now (well actually waiting to recieve the app in the mail) you guys think they'll have any of these bad boys left after I finally get my license... I'm not even sure how long this process even takes but I've heard around 2 to 3 months after it's been mailed
Old November 28, 2008, 10:05 AM   #17
Ricklin

I worried about the same thing while waiting for mine. When I got my license there was only 1 vendor with CZ 82s, I waited a while and SOG got in a new batch. I bought the 52 at the same time.
There is always new stuff coming in AFAIK. I think a lot of this is dependent on the current administration in DC. SO the answer is It depends.
Old December 8, 2008, 05:03 PM   #18
gandog56

Quote:

I use some Hornady XTP home made rounds. I need to do the wet telephone book trick to see how well they mushroom.
Old December 8, 2008, 05:05 PM   #19
gandog56

I, too, got mine from SOG. What amazed me was the finish only had one small area of wear marks, but the grips looked totally beat to heck. Found somebody that pours new grips in any color you would like. Pretty snazzy. now.
Old December 8, 2008, 06:53 PM   #20
XLT

chromedome...I think SOG has them currently, I don't think there is a shortage of them, honestly... particularly if you are getting a c&r
Old December 17, 2008, 12:59 PM   #21
sunstroke

Grips

I put some Hogue wood grips on both of mine. They are thicker and make it way more confortable to shoot. Adds some style too! It makes a good pistol - excellent. Here's a picture of mine:

Old December 17, 2008, 02:10 PM   #22
jsmaye

That looks like the Hogue rosewood grips on the left - which ones are on the right?
Old December 17, 2008, 05:42 PM   #23
sunstroke

Grips

You're correct - Rosewood on the left. The grips on the right are Pau Ferro.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:22 PM   #24
woad_yurt

My 2 cents on 7.62x25 Wolf hollowpoints....

I've shot a bunch of them and they make a very large, messy hole in 2x4s and wet newspapers.

Sunstroke: How thick are the grips? Do you have a picture from the rear?They look great, by the way.
Old December 18, 2008, 03:37 PM   #25
sunstroke

Here's a couple more -