The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old November 4, 2013, 05:44 PM   #51
Unclenick
Staff

RG,

Interesting. I had no idea Magnus was doing anything but cast bullets. Have you tried these?

MarkCO,

I assumed when you said on target, you mean accuracy on a target (bullseye), so I misread what you intended. It's a good example of the reader's perspective (mine) interpreting an ambiquity in light of that perspective. You are correct that the HAP is not designed for terminal performance, and that's certainly what Hornady says in their description.

Steve,

I'm not disputing that the MG may be badly designed for terminal performance. You seem to have two tests showing two different versions falling apart where better quality bullets do not, and that doesn't bode well for it. The only point I was making is that it's clearly supposed to be a defensive design and not a target shooting design for all the same reasons Hornady gives for why the HAP looks different from the XTP. Whether it's a failure in its intended purpose or not is a separate issue from whether or not it was designed as a target bullet. It just doesn't have features characteristic of a design intended for accurate target shooting.

I'd still be curious to learn what MG had in mind for their design. They may simply have copied the XTP's nose form and crossed their fingers that it would be good with that. The two tests certainly suggest they'd benefit from core bonding of one kind or another.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 4, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old November 4, 2013, 05:56 PM   #52
rclark

Quote:
Anybody reloading for their carry weapon?
Yep.... .44Spec . Shoot what I reload, and reload what I shoot. Haven't bought a 'factory' box since .... Well can't remember now... I think I did to get some cases back in the very early 80s...
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 4, 2013, 06:04 PM   #53
45long

Quote:
It's not about rights. It's about the Almighty Dollar. There is not a lawyer out there that would bring up, in a court of law, the projectile used to dispatch a bad guy if he was concerned with your rights. His concern is your money, and how much of it he can acquire for himself.
Exactly..Greed runs the show..well put
Old November 4, 2013, 06:11 PM   #54
Unclenick
Staff

I hope the OP has what he needs. I started to reply yesterday, but didn't finish and only after posting today see the carry for SD arguments insist on inserting themselves, anyway. Time to close it out, I think. As always, if someone feels there's a good reason to keep it open, PM me and I'll entertain reopening it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread