The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 15, 2018, 02:05 AM   #1
mellow_c

J.C. Higgins model 103.18, need buttplate

Title pretty much says it all. I can't find one anywhere online. I'd like to if I could.

Otherwise I'd be happy to make one, or fit one from a different rifle to this rifle.

It's just a cheap old single shot that I'd like to freshen up.

The end plate needs to be at least 4 & 9/16th inches tall and about 1 & 9/16th inches wide. Screw holes are 3/4 inch bellow top of stock to center of top hole and 1 & 1/16th inches above bottom of stock to center of bottom hole. With 2 & 3/4 inches between center of two holes.

If anyone knows of anything that will fit, or of something that I can make fit, or an original replacement, I would greatly appreciate you letting me know!

Thanks.
Old September 15, 2018, 12:35 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

The J.C. Higgins Model 103.18 is a Marlin M100 made from 1936 to 1941. Isn't listed on Gunparts 'Cross Reference' page.
However, Gunparts wants $15.20 for a repro.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/432990F
Old September 16, 2018, 02:30 PM   #3
mellow_c

Thanks for the info. Looks like Numrich is the only place selling them. I'm tempted to buy it, but $15.00 + $7ish for shipping to buy a buttplate to go on an $80 rifle... Well, I don't know.

Maybe I'll just go for it. Or possibly wait till I have $75 worth of other stuff I need to order from them so I can get free shipping.

Thanks again for the help locating just what I need!
Old September 17, 2018, 02:59 PM   #4
gwpercle

When I needed a butt plate for a Western Auto single shot bolt action 410 shotgun....not a whole lot of parts available for these , let me tell you . I found a slab of walnut about 1/2 inch thick and carved one . Shaped it just like the original plastic one and cut a thin white spacer from a white plastic bottle to make a white line spacer...looked good and cost $0.00.
I even got fancy , cut some coarse/crude checkering in it ...Bubba at it again !
Gary
Old October 1, 2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Shootrj2003

Gwpercie,
It was not free,you invested time,energy,creativity,these are worth something,money,respect but they are worth something.
Old October 2, 2018, 12:51 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...Well, I don't know..." Yep. It's the dilemma of having old commercial stuff that isn't made any more(old cars are the same way). You could trace the butt stock and try a gun show where there might be a guy with a box of butt plates. Same thing at your local gun shop. Gun shops usually have all kinds of stuff in boxes that they don't know what it's for. Give you a reason to hang around one on a Saturday afternoon.
Bob's Gun Parts wants $20 or $25 for what he describes as "Marlin Blank Oval" or "Marlin Very Old". Doesn't have any "Marlin Late" or "Marlin Late Rifle".