The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 8, 2007, 03:29 PM   #1
BKG-22

XCS Finish Worth It?

I am looking at buying an 870 marine mag. For a Remington pump, these are not cheap. Ball park $590 for a nickel plated and $690 for an XCS. My first inclination is for the XCS black finish - hands down. However, I can't find any track record to support the quality and durability of the XCS Trinyte finish.

Also, I take a couple steps back and look at the big picture, $700 for a Remington 870 pump. Am I crazy?

Does anyone have an XCS or have a link/URL to any real world durability usage of the XCS? I think they are new for '07 so maybe not.

If I am laying down that much money, should I consider something else? Am I looking for trouble in finding extra barrels/parts in the same finish?

Remington made a green polymer coated 870 a couple of years ago and they discontinued that already. I have been to a couple of shops that have those in stock and are really trying to push them. I know very little about that finish either and frankly, the green does not do anything for me. Any input?

Your comments / suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!
Old November 10, 2007, 08:27 AM   #2
BKG-22

Well, either no one has had any exposure/experience to the XCS or maybe my questions are worded poorly.

In any case, I have now read more about the pro's/cons of the "express" based 870's vs. the Wingmaster/Police based 870's. I guess I am leaning towards the police version. I know I would pay more up front but I would also guess it will be worth more if I ever had to part with it.

Still curious on that XCS finish though if any one has had any experience with it.

Thx
Old November 10, 2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The XSC is just too new for there to be an internet track record.

Basically, Remington came up with a "super finish" to satisfy the need for a black Marine Magnum, since many people don't want a bright and shiny shotgun.
Exactly what the XSC finish is is not clear, but it's going to be AT LEAST as durable as the satin nickel on the standard Marine Magnum.

With that said, like the various "Tactical" 870's the XSC is built on the Express gun, NOT the Police model.
The Police model is usually finished in a mil-spec parkerized finish, and while it won't be as durable or rust resistant as an XSC, it's an all-around better quality gun.
It's also harder to buy because of the Remington Law Enforcement distributor system.

Most Remington distributors sell only commercial guns, NOT LE guns.
This means it's a little more difficult for a FFL Dealer to get them, since most local dealers don't normally buy from the distributors who are LE distributors.

Personally, given a choice, I'd buy a Police model just for the higher quality, smoother action.
Old November 14, 2007, 12:55 AM   #4
Simmons LE

Trinyte Finish

Althought the Trinyte is a new application, I do not think it is as durable as the satin nickle finish.

I have owned my own company for sometime now in gun refinishings and have great success for corrosion and lubricity by using KG Gun Kote.

Visit my website at www.simmonslawenforcement.com for more details.

While I think the Trinyte is an OK finish, the KG Gun Kote is far superior. Thanks.
Old March 6, 2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Little Wolf

Quote:
Althought the Trinyte is a new application, I do not think it is as durable as the satin nickle finish.

I have owned my own company for sometime now in gun refinishings and have great success for corrosion and lubricity by using KG Gun Kote.

Visit my website at www.simmonslawenforcement.com for more details.

While I think the Trinyte is an OK finish, the KG Gun Kote is far superior. Thanks.
And you base this assumption on?????

Trinyte is the extra hard finish that is used to coat drill bits. It's usually gold in color. It is MUCH harder/more resistant than gunkote, which is old technology.
Look here for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride

Last edited by Little Wolf; March 6, 2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old September 16, 2016, 11:50 PM   #6
DFWVOCALS

I own a 870 XCS MM

I saw this thread, and realize it's very old, but since no one who owned an XCS commented, I thought I would. I've had an XCS since 2009, and like it a lot. I've probably only put 500 rounds thru it, but it has never given me any problems. I've taken it in the field many times, never had an issue with rust or corrosion, and from what I can tell, it's a very well made shotgun. I recently added a side saddle so now carry 17 rounds on board.