The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 22, 2020, 02:42 PM   #26
jar

Ortgies parts are pretty much available and it is a joy to shoot. IIRC there are only about 30 pieces parts total anyway. Jack First also makes most of the breakable pieces parts.
Old May 23, 2020, 02:39 AM   #27
Ibmikey

I have a number of pistols in .32 ACP (7.65mm) by Star, Llama, Walther, Beretta, etc. and love shooting the pistols because of their low recoil. As for a defensive weapon I think of the untold thousands of pistols in Europe that have been used in peace and wartime with great success. I was still apprehensive as to the caliber when two days ago while checking hog traps I found a 100+ pound boar that was intent upon being unkind to anyone venturing into the trap. In my pocket was a Colt .25 I took out to test it for functioning....a single .25 to the head put the hogs lights out forever. My trusty Hi Power was not needed that morning. So in conclusion with any handgun shot placement is critical.
Old May 23, 2020, 05:41 AM   #28
JERRYS.

unpossible, they say a .25 won't penetrate 12-18" of ballistic gel so it is of no value.

*** sarcasm
Old May 23, 2020, 07:16 AM   #29
jar

Remember, in 1967 the small caliber small size handguns were not banned from importation because they were hard to conceal, ineffective and unreliable.
Old June 15, 2020, 08:08 AM   #30
jamstutz

The Ruger LCR in 327 Fed Mag is my EDC and I am very pleased with it. Being able to practice with 32 S&W Longs is a real bonus. Never tried shooting 32 ACP in it--the difference in rim dimensions is likely to make it unreliable.
Old June 15, 2020, 09:43 AM   #31
ammo.crafter

32acp

Sweet cartridge and manufacturers are now producing SD rounds.

At times I carry a WW II Walther PP in 32acp that my father brought back from the service. Great balance ultra thin and fine CCW.

After James Bond carried a .25acp Flemming was convinced to upgrade to the 32.
Old June 16, 2020, 05:54 AM   #32
darkgael

Three 32s

My .32s:
Top to bottom
Baby Bulldog...32 Short Colt (BP)
Forehand and Wadsworth...32 S&W (BP)
Beretta Tomcat...32 ACP

PS: how do get the attachment to show up as a picture as opposed to a clickable link?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B34D5924-F97C-4F30-9EB0-DA39940D4E9B.jpeg (105.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by darkgael; June 16, 2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old June 16, 2020, 07:12 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've posted a number of times in other threads that I LOVE the .32s...

I've got 2 .32-20 revolvers (S&W and Colt)

At least 3 .32 Longs (Regulation Police, Colt Police Positive and a Smith Model 30 snub)

A couple of antique .32 S&Ws that belonged to my great grandfathers

A CZ-70.

And, most recently, I added these two...

A Beretta 81 and an absolutely beautiful S&W .32 Hand Ejector Second Model. A friend of mine sold it to me. He and I were at a gunshow years ago and came across a guy selling part of his personal collection.

Chris grabbed the .32, and I grabbed the 1920s-era .38 Special M&P with the 5" barrel.

Here's the .38 I bought behind the Regulation Police

Ah, and a picture of my Colt Police Positive in .32 Long.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 16, 2020, 03:28 PM   #34
Forte S+W

The closest thing to a .32 I own is a recently purchased Romanian MilSurp Tokarev TTC chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev.

It's not .32cal, it's .30cal, but it's a hot little round which offers similar ballistics performance to that of the .327 Magnum, launching a .308 bullet at anywhere from 1300-1800fps. It's generally known for its impressive armor-piercing capabilities, defeating Level IIIa body armor with ordinary FMJ. It was used by the Soviet Union from 1930 until about 1950, has remained in service with the Chinese until very recently when they began replacing it with their own proprietary armor piercing round, the 5.8x21 DAP, which is actually a substantial downgrade in terms of performance. Supposedly 7.62x25 Tokarev is still in service in parts of the Middle East and North Korea.

Oddly enough, it's actually a pretty darn effective round in terms of ballistic performance, capable of delivering up to 600ft-lbs of energy and penetrating a solid 16" in ballistics gel with modern JHP ammunition, so it's a wonder why it has fallen by the wayside in terms of military popularity. Sure, it's a rather long cartridge at about 35mm/1.4" OAL, ergo it requires a pistol designed specifically for it, so no quick and dirty rechambering of 9mm Luger or .45 ACP pistols which are so popular these days will work, but for such a slim yet powerful pistol with armor-piercing capabilities, it seems like it ought to be worth the effort.

Interestingly enough, there are at least a couple of firearms still in production chambered for 7.62x25 Tokarev, the Zastava M57 which is just a modern reproduction of the old Yugoslavian Military's Tokarev M57 and the Norinko P762 which is basically just a clone of a SIG SAUER chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev. Unfortunately though, the Norinko P762 cannot be imported into the United States, so the most modern pistol currently available in 7.62x25 Tokarev is completely unobtainable in America.

Hopefully somebody smart like Ruger will recognize the potential niche market for a modern pistol chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev and rechamber their Ruger 57 (5.7x28 FN) in 7.62x25 Tokarev.

Fortunately though, there are still a ton of old MilSurp Tokarev pistols on the market which can be had for under $300.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Romanian_Tokarev_TTC_Left.jpg (102.3 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Romanian_Tokarev_TTC_Right.jpg (94.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Romanian_Tokarev_TTC_Top-Right.jpg (83.5 KB, 12 views)
Old June 21, 2020, 06:54 PM   #35
Groundhog34

My wife has a LCR 327 I have shot it more than her. The 32 S&W loads have about as much recoil as a 22. The 32 H&R mag is equivalent to a 38. 327 Mag are hot almost as much as a 357 especially in a small frame revolver. She shoots it with 32 S&W and carries 32 H&R. It is a fine gun especially for someone recoil sensitive. The trigger is decent. I don't think you can shoot 32 S&W short nor 32 ACP in it. Both may fire but not extract properly.
Revelation 13:11
Old June 24, 2020, 06:18 PM   #36
Atticus Thraxx

Another thumbs up for the Single Six in .32 H&R Mag. What a fun revolver to shoot. I had been reading about it for a while and stumbled across Lee dies in a bargain bin for $9.99! Once I had the dies, it was just a matter of time before I found one and bought it. I hadn't thought of it as a trail/hiking pistol, but I like the idea. Great pistol and a fun round to load for. I need to find a good holster for it though.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old July 23, 2020, 04:39 PM   #37
whitehall

old 32's

I hope y'all don't mind me jumping into this discussion (my first post in this forum). I have 2 old Colts, a Pocket Positive and a "New Police" both in .32 that I bought at a gun show years ago. I recently had the urge to try them out so I put on a welder's helmet and welders gauntlets and loaded them up with S&W 32's and they each shot up a cylinder without a mishap. The problem is that Cabella's doesn't handle 32 S&W so I ordered a box on line from Midway and with postage and all it came out to close to $50.00 for 50 rounds. The Pocket has a rounded grip with 4 inch barrel and is nickle. The NP is blue with a 4 digit stamped (non factory) number on the butt. Obviously a department inventory number. I wish it could talk because it has 5 notches carved into the grips.
Old July 23, 2020, 07:47 PM   #38
whitehall

Were you aware that a firearm with crudely scratched initials and a date usually indicates an evidence gun probably sold by the municipality after the statute of limitation expired but maybe not?
Old July 25, 2020, 06:38 PM   #39
Metric

I really like the .32acp. For whatever reason, I converged on .32acp pistols over the more popular .380acp versions early on, and have never gone back.

I just have never liked blowback .380's that much, and the modern micro pistols in .380 kinda feel like they're about to explode, or wear out really, really fast.

If I need more power, I go straight to 9mm.
Old July 25, 2020, 07:53 PM   #40
Double K

My wife has a Smith 432pd, love that gun but not as much as she does.
What's great about it is you can shoot 32longs in it for practice, when shooting plates with full power loads it's hard to tell the difference between it and 38+p ammunition from a Ladysmith.
Old July 26, 2020, 08:04 PM   #41
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
I really like the .32acp. For whatever reason, I converged on .32acp pistols over the more popular .380acp versions early on, and have never gone back.

I just have never liked blowback .380's that much, and the modern micro pistols in .380 kinda feel like they're about to explode, or wear out really, really fast.

If I need more power, I go straight to 9mm.
Yeah, I get that sense with the micro .380's today too, specifically the polymer frame models, but people put hundreds of rounds thru them every month and the guns keep on trucking. Even if the service life of them is 5k or 10k rounds, the guns are so cheap that it's not a huge loss to buy another one.

I would still like the option of a .32 in the same size pistol tho. Like I said, if the ammo companies would put an effort into making modern .32 ACP defense ammo meant for short barrels like they have with .380, then .32 would be a more viable option for self defense.
Old July 28, 2020, 02:15 PM   #42
ThomasT

I use a Little Dandy powder measure to dump my powder charges. I got tired of buying rotors for the thing and decided to make an adjustable rotor for it.

I took a #9 rotor because the powder chamber was the exact right size for a 3/8"x16 tap. I drilled it all the way through and then threaded the chamber. I used one socket head set screw to screw in to the hole with lock-tite and then ground it flush with the outside of the rotor. I did this so I could get the maximum depth of the charge area.

Next I used a second set screw and ground it into a 3 thread plug with a small bit of the hex left so you can adjust it with an Allen wrench. Now I have a measure that will dump from .4 grains to 6.4 grains of bullseye. To adjust dump and leave the rotor down and insert an Allen wrench through the dump hole and make what adjustments you need to make until it throws the amount of powder you want to dispense. I know this sounds a little complicated but its really not. And it dumps the same charge time after time.

I just used it yesterday to dump 2.5grs of Bullseye in a 32 mag case to make my bud some snake loads with #12 shot. Of course it will dump all powders but the fine grained powders work best.

And a big +1 on the Lee dippers. I love mine and use then mainly for rifle loads where I dump close to the weight of powder I want and then use a trickler to put in the last few grains.
Old July 28, 2020, 05:48 PM   #43
langenc

Son was visiting about month ago. Asked about loading some 32 H&Rs. I said all is available, whenever he is ready. We each had a S&W back about 2000.

I checked my inventory and found 4x50s, 32 H&R mags marked $11 each He was tickled to get em. Told him Id load some practice ammo for him as the others were Georgia Arms-pretty potent stuff. Ran into some 32 blem bullets back about 2002 and still have about 1/2 a 1000.
Old July 28, 2020, 06:01 PM   #44
Drm50

In autos and revolvers I have had at least 10:1 in 32 column. I think I have only bought one 32 cal gun new. A Ruger S-6 in 32mag back in 80s. The 32s had to be more popular than 380 or 38S&W. Especially in Colt and S&W.