The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2011, 09:25 AM   #26
WVsig

Thoughts on the pricing from Kempf vs other sources. Seems like it is inline from what I can find.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:03 AM   #27
Doodlebugger45

Well... strictly from a price perspective, I thought they were kind of high. But I read that they are very knowledgeable and helpful and can give good advice so that you don't end up with parts and pieces that don't work together well. That is worth something.

For me, by the time I had finished doing all my research on the Classic Turret, coupled with my own experiences as well as the equipment that I already owned, I knew exactly what I wanted to order. I compared prices on multiple sources and decided my best deal came from the Lee Factory outlet store.

https://factorysales.com/

It's up to you. I haven't done business with Kemp, but I do like their site and I like what others report in dealing with them. That's got to be worth something for sure.

I saw your shopping list there and agree with your choices. Like peetzadude said, you'll need a scale. The one that Kemp had on their page isn't great, but it will actually serve your purposes pretty well. Make sure you keep it calibrated and it will do nicely to get the powder dispenser throwing the right amount. I suppose he's right in that you might as well get a bullet thrower too. You might not ever need it, but it's nice to have sitting there. I see you added calipers. Good idea. One thing I will also suggest to add is the adjustable charge bar for the powder dispenser. I used the disks, even the double disk kit to give more options, but the adjustable charge bar works great. I can dial in my desired powder charge down to 0.1 gr without trying various combinations of disks.

Check out the option of buying the individual pieces that go with the Classic Turret. If Kemp is within a few dollars, it's worth it to deal with them. But if you can save $50, well that's up to you. What you'll need:

Classic Turret press
Auto Disk Pro
Riser (actually I think it's included with the Pro now)
Safety prime setup with both large and small primer tray and arm
Adjustable charge bar or double disk kit
scale
calipers
bullet puller
dies
Old February 3, 2011, 12:00 PM   #28
gregjc9

Last year I got basically the same kit from Cabela's. I dont recall exactly what or why, but there were some things I liked better in the offer from Cabela.

Another vote on the RCBS 1500 scale. My son gave me one for this past Christmas, and it's probably the best thing I could have gotten to make the process more effective. I wished I had gotten one at the beginning. If the 1500 is too pricey for you, get a good beam scale, like the TCBS 505. The Lee safety scale will work, is very accurate, but honestly is a PITA to read. But, YEMV Good luck in your choices.

Greg
Old February 3, 2011, 12:17 PM   #29
CrustyFN

I am thinking progressive for that many rounds. Where are you in WV? I own a Lee classic turret press and would be happy to let you come over and see it if you are close enough. You could also start with the classic turret and add a progressive later, the classic turret will always come in handy.
Old February 3, 2011, 12:20 PM   #30
DiscoRacing

I wanna see yours Crusty...

... I load 3,000 and sometimes more per month....I dont see it being impossible with a Turret....

....I like to keep a close eye on each step of my reloading...which is why I use the turret rather than a progressive.... tho I have had a progressive before for shotgun.
Old February 3, 2011, 12:58 PM   #31
maillemaker

I am pretty new at this myself, I've only been reloading since Christmas.

Everyone says that it is better to start learning with a single-stage press or a turret press, and then move up to a progressive. I tend to agree, though I started right in with a progressive (Lee Pro 1000).

It is easier to focus on one thing at a time.

That said, for large quantities you are going to want a progressive reloader.

I would recommend a reloader with at least 5 die stations. The reason for this is so that you can have a separate bullet seating and a separate case crimping die, which seems to be less touchy than a single die that combines both operations.

Also, you will want room for a "Powder cop die", which is a safety device that detects under or over charges of powder. The RCBS model actually locks up the press on an error condition. If I get another press, it will have this capability. Great peace of mind.

I got a nice little digital scale for $25 through MidwayUSA.

Kinetic bullet puller is pretty cheap, too, and I've already had to pull a few bullets.

Steve
Old February 3, 2011, 02:32 PM   #32
oneounceload

Yep, I blew the math - was thinking of something else and have a glass of wine - THAT'LL teach me!........
Old February 3, 2011, 02:44 PM   #33
CHM

Just saw this thread....4500 rounds a month is pretty ambitious for just starting out! I started slow with a Lee Anniversary kit and still use almost everything in it for various things, except the scale. After getting the hang of it, I graduated to a Lee Loadmaster which I think is very straightforward to setup and use for any pistol cartridge. It is also relatively cheap. I also bought a RCBS electronic scale (I have the 750) which I use all the time. The disk powder measure is consistent enough for me on the Loadmaster. I also have a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles, including the electric case feeder. Now, this setup will produce the most rounds/hour, but it is a huge investment and transitioning from one caliber to another is time consuming. I still use and prefer a single stage press for rifle calibers and if I only need to do 100 rounds or so, i.e 45LC. Good luck! It's a great hobby.
Old February 3, 2011, 03:25 PM   #34
CrustyFN

Disco you are welcome to come up and take it for a test drive any time you like. Just let me know and we will work out a day and time.
Old February 3, 2011, 04:03 PM   #35
BigJimP

I have buddies that have Hornady LNL, RCBS, etc ...and I've test driven them all ....and for what its worth .....I'd buy the Dillon 650 again. I think Dillon makes a quality machine ... and I'm not saying Horndady, etc are bad machines - they aren't .....but they are not better, in my opinion either.

For the most part the issues or problems with most any brand of machine are overblown ..and often boil down to operator error.

If you pick a machine that allows the installation of a powder check die, powder cop, lock out die ....or whatever you want to use / I think most of the big name machines will be good presses. If I really though the Hornaday LNL was a better machine ...I'd buy one .../ but based on what I see - I'd buy a Dillon 650 again. But just my opinion...
Old February 3, 2011, 05:17 PM   #36
Shoney

BigJimP
Congratulations! That was a well thought out response to the "color wars".

My buddy, who sold his 650 to get the LNL AP, and I did run-out tests on several rifle cartridges (222, 6mmRem, 243, 30-06, 300WM), using two single stage presses, 550, 650, and the AP. To our surprise, the LNL AP had measurably better run-out as compared to the other 4 presses.

After we did this testing, and after my buddy got the LNL AP, I asked him why he changed. He said the run-out testing pushed him over the hill, but other major factors were:
- ease and versatility of caliber conversion and bushing system;
- powder measure accuracy and versatility with dial in inserts;
- ease of powder change;
-while loading rifle it was fast and easy to do single stage operation in a progressive way;
-but most of all, price for accessories he wanted were reasonable for the LNL (he had wanted to load several other cartridges progressively on his 650 instead of on the single stage press, but Dillon's costs were prohibitive);
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 3, 2011, 06:17 PM   #37
1Hobie

Progressive Press for new reloader

Greetings,
I started out with a 550b. Never had re-loaded a round before. What helped me out was to just put one case in, de-cap,size,prime on the first station. Index to the powder station(after setting the belling depth before hand with no powder being used)cycle the press now having filled the powder hopper, rapping on the hopper gently to settle the powder in the hopper, check the weight(after repeating filling the cartridge and dumping it back into the hopper), repeat until I am getting consistent measures, index to the seating die, seat the bullet long and crank down until OAL is correct, index to the crimp die, crank it down until properly crimped and index to kick out the round. Using a gauge, I check to see if the round will fit in the chamber, re-measure the OAL, look for any obvious flaws.
Do one round at a time after you've set up the press.(Turret style at this point). You can check the round at every step of the process. Once you've got used to the procedure, you can venture into progressive re-loading. Slowly, surely, and only done when you can devote your entire attention to what you're doing. If you are interupted, stop, and make sure you know where you stopped. It's better to start over than accidentally de-cap a live primer or double load a case. Don't ever be in a hurry.
Re-loading can be a relaxing way to spend an evening but it needs to be done with the upmost of focus. No toddies, not mad at something or someone, not watching your favorite show on the tube. Wear safety glasses and treat the area like it might blow up in your face.(not quite that bad but it'll keep you awake)
I hope you have a great experience no matter what equipment you use.

Hobie

Last edited by 1Hobie; February 3, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old February 3, 2011, 06:53 PM   #38
BigJimP

Happy to help Shoney ....anytime ...