The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 8, 2006, 11:10 PM   #26
Fremmer

Hmmm. There is lots of emotion involved, and your body (as well as the B.G.'s body) will be full of adrenaline. You have half of the B.G.'s face to shoot at, and the target is moving. If you miss, you'll likely hit your wife, and if you don't hit your wife, the B.G. may shoot her.

I've never been in this type of a situation, or received formal training to deal with it. But I have shot at stationary deer, and also at moving deer. The movement significantly increases the difficulty of making an accurate shot, and you typically have a 6 to 8 inch kill zone on a deer. Here, you have only a few inches of non-wife target.

I understand that none of us want to let those two leave the house. But the moving, very small target really worries me. The 'limp wife' plan sounds good. The idea of shooting through your wife (her leg, etc.)? Yeah . Maybe in the movies, but not in the real world.

My solution? I don't have one, and I'll be the first to admit it. I don't mean to be trollish, just offering some observations. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old January 9, 2006, 02:00 AM   #27
IndianaDean

Speed is just a movie. Don't EVER follow advice concerning firearms that comes from a movie, or television. That's make believe.
I doubt if the law would take kindly to me shooting my wife in the leg, even if that were the situation.
I don't know if I'd take the shot or not. I believe I would.
Old January 9, 2006, 08:42 AM   #28
The British Soldier

Don't think about it - just double tap the guy between the eyes and you're on for some big thanks afterward.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old January 9, 2006, 09:00 AM   #29
Chris Phelps

I used to think the answer was yes, but a lot of posts here have changed my mind on that one.

From a 10 foot distance with the handgun of my choosing, I could place 3 bullets through his eye before he gets the chance to blink. Aim is of no concern when it comes time to make that very important decision. What bothers me about it was a post a few days ago, pointing out that head shots do not instantly kill like many people (myself included) thought. this would mean that before the shot was fired, the person being held hostage would have to have a plan to take control of the weapon and where it was pointed. could this be done before the bg got a chance to fire? what are the chances of injury? would the hostage freeze up just as you shot, thus allowing the bg to shoot him/her as well?

Assuming the hostage knew their part, and could pull it off sucessfully, I would have to say, absolutly.

BTW: Springmom... the quickest way for a bg to take you hostage, thus spiraling you into this type of situation without giving you time for reactions would be for him/her to hide somewhere like a closet. If you turned your back to exit, the opportunity would arise, and in less than 2 seconds you would find yourself right in the middle of this theoretical situation. It could happen if the bg were hiding behind the door, too... but I assume that, like me, you watch between the hinges of doors when you enter the room. Simply put, all you need is a fast, armed bg and about 2 seconds of having your back turned. No situation could be fully avoided, so its good that you have a plan regardless of your thoughts on weather or not it will happen. I applaud you for that.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old January 9, 2006, 01:13 PM   #30
Mikeyboy

Already discussed before, but never mentioned who the hostage was before. My take is the guy does not leave with the hostage. I would scream and yell to the BG that he will die if he does not let my wife go, and that if he shot her, I will torture and kill him slowly. I would never back down, and would move in close and if I took the shot it would be at close distance. I think who the hostage is does matter. I would be crazy if it was my wife, BUT I WOULD BE A MADMAN IF IT WAS ONE OF MY KIDS. My concern is its not like target pratice, or a someone in SWAT helping a stranger, emotions will run wild, and accuracy might suffer.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:32 PM   #31
gddyup

My wife and I are both of the opinion that you go nowhere with the BG. Ever. Best to die where someone can find you then die at the hands and place of the BG's choosing. It wouldn't even be up for consideration. Either one of us who might be "the hostage" would be yelling for the other one to shoot!

Simple answer. Yes.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old January 9, 2006, 01:39 PM   #32
Long Path

Intentionally shooting the leg of a friendly is madness. Clip the femoral artery and she's dead in a minute or five. Speed was fun, but *utter fiction*.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:49 PM   #33
pax

Years ago, I decided upon the following boundaries. I will fight back against even impossible odds under certain situations:

1) I will not go anywhere at gunpoint. If the bad guy wants me to go somewhere else, it's because he wants to do something to me there that he is unwilling to do to me right here, right now. Therefore, right here, right now is the best chance to fight back I will ever have.

2) I will not allow myself to be tied up. If the bad guy wants to tie me up, it is because he wants to do things to me that he would be unable to do if I were not tied up. Therefore, I will resist before I become helpless.

3) I will not kneel. No one is going to execute me. If I die, I'll die fighting.

4) If someone tries to take one of my children, I will fight even at the risk of my child being killed by the bad guy in the resultant firefight. I plan this not because I am certain I would be successful in fighting back, but because I would not be able to live with myself if I simply "allowed" my child to be taken, brutalized and tortured, and his body perhaps never found. I'd rather watch him die in front of me. (Yes, that's harsh. But given only those two options, which would you choose?)

The specific scenario that opened this thread deals with point #4 on my list. If the kidnappee were my husband instead of my child (unlikely but possible), the odds for success improve greatly because my husband knows I would shoot ... so he knows to duck.

pax
Old January 9, 2006, 02:11 PM   #34
guntotin_fool

The guy across the back yard is getting over a AK round to the femor bone and it aint pretty it is now 1 inch shorter, they are working on microbreaking the bone and stretching it on a weekly basis to make it the same length. His wife gave me all his guns to take away the easy way out from the pain, NO way i am going to do that on a whim to a loved one.

Would I take the shot? yeah I would maybe not in the doorway but i would take the shot when I got it, more likely than using a pistol i would have the AR and then it is over right there.

Discuss this with your family, make a plan on what you do. for us the word "Honey" means do something, turn, drop, scream, but make a move. We also have a longer porch where making that move dragging a dead weight would be difficult. teach your family you do not go with just go limp. force them to try and drag you, then react.

I know a guy who practises this shot a lot and he is a cop. he tacks paper plates to the back side of targets or if out side to the back side of a tree. figures that approximates the view he would get of the BG poking his head around.
I just practice popping squirrels off the back side of trees.
Old January 9, 2006, 03:49 PM   #35
The British Soldier

Quote:
What bothers me about it was a post a few days ago, pointing out that head shots do not instantly kill like many people (myself included) thought. this would mean that before the shot was fired, the person being held hostage would have to have a plan to take control of the weapon and where it was pointed. could this be done before the bg got a chance to fire? what are the chances of injury? would the hostage freeze up just as you shot, thus allowing the bg to shoot him/her as well?
You have to take the credentials of those posting such nonsense with a bucket load of salt! In the real world, rather than the armchair one, professionals know that putting two in the head of a man holding a gun to someone's head is the instant way to put them down - dead before they hit the ground in many instances.

If you read any of the post-action reports of the Embassy siege in London in 1980, the coroners report that those terrorists shot in the head by the Counter Terrorist Team were killed instantly - and that was the report from the inquest afterward. Those men were shot with 9mm Ball from MP5 or Browning Hi Power - not hydrashock, or JHP, or any other current 'essential' defensive round.

I trust my operational experience and what I have seen rather than what is speculated here.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old January 9, 2006, 04:01 PM   #36
Az Qkr

Mike,

They may be dead before they hit the ground. You may have a lot of real world experience.

One can still react to being shot in the head and pull the trigger while the lights go out, not so much voluntarily but involuntarily.

Every counter sniper using rifles is trained where the head shot needs to be taken if possible to give them the best chance this does not happen. If the guys finger is on the trigger, and the gun is at the head, the chance of the BG still killing the hostage is good.

Having been trained in counter sniper, it is standard procedure to get into that sweet spot 1/2" below the ear at the based of the skull if possible. Thats is the highest percentage shot the lights go out without autonomic reflex which can be problematic.

There are many reasons not to take the shot right away but hydostatic shot from a pistol is certainly less than a rifle round.

Robin Brown
Old January 9, 2006, 04:16 PM   #37
pickpocket

Quote:
Having been trained in counter sniper, it is standard procedure to get into that sweet spot 1/2" below the ear at the based of the skull if possible. Thats is the highest percentage shot the lights go out without autonomic reflex which can be problematic.
yep. Severing the spinal cord is the only way to ensure complete paralysis, if not instant death; which is the point of the 'sweet spot'.
Even 'two-to-the-head' will still often result in involuntary muscle contractions for several minutes after death...if you've got true operational experience then you know this. So discharge of the BG's weapon, while not probable, is still possible. And let's face it - is anyone here willing to risk it?

And as for the hostage freezing up...well that's their responsibility, now isn't it? Play like you practice, practice like you play.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old January 9, 2006, 05:56 PM   #38
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Mike

Quote:
You have to take the credentials of those posting such nonsense with a bucket load of salt! In the real world, rather than the armchair one, professionals know that putting two in the head of a man holding a gun to someone's head is the instant way to put them down - dead before they hit the ground in many instances.
Um, that bucket of salt may have been mine . I've seen no less than eight head shots by handguns of various calibers, either by suicide or homicide, and none of them died instantly.... or pleasantly.

The most recent involved a 22 yr. old man "jokingly" playing Russian Roulette in front of friends with a J-frame Smith and Federal .38+P HP's. A 1.5" X 2.3" piece of his skull was lying 14 inches away, along with a fair amount of brain matter. I arrived on scene approx. 5 minutes after the shooting was reported, and he was breathing, but aspirating. It took him another 20 minutes to die.

Were they disabled by the shot? Hell yes, but if there is such a thing as an instant kill with a handgun, it'd be serendipity. Now a rifle? Whole different ball game.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 9, 2006, 10:38 PM   #39
chemist308

Quote:
Even 'two-to-the-head' will still often result in involuntary muscle contractions for several minutes after death...if you've got true operational experience then you know this.
Many hunters can attest to this. I know I'm an armchair quarterback here but I've taken headshots on animals and noticed this. Also, head trauma victims I've seen have both hands curled into a fist with thumbs tucked in--that could set off a weapon in the perp's hand...further, if you want to stop vital functions immediately the only way is the brain stem--this controls the involuntary reactions of breathing and heart rate. Yes a head wound victim could asparate air for minutes afterward. You gotta sever the controling nerves. Better, you tell the b.g. something along the lines of 'I won't miss, let her go and I let you go...' and hope if he takes the door prize of freedom--why he actually might if he's really using her to get out of the situation.
Old January 9, 2006, 10:50 PM   #40
pickpocket

Yes, a single shot to the brain stem is the preferred method.
Nope, you're not gonna do it in this situation.
Nope, you're not gonna do it with a handgun unless it's execution style.

If you had a rifle and a stable platform you could do it. But then you've taken yourself out beyond the scope of this scenario, eh?

I can't say right now in this moment whether I'd take the shot or not. My focus is on retrieving my wife, not killing the BG....may be the same thing, may not be. I'd try my damnest not to let them leave, even if I had to put one in her calf or shoulder, because if she leaves it will be the last time I see her. Problem is, if you shoot, he's gonna pull the trigger....he'll spook, and she'll become a red lingering mist.
If he does leave with her....well....ever seen Man on Fire ?

Old January 10, 2006, 09:05 AM   #41
Chris Phelps

Quote:
Um, that bucket of salt may have been mine .

Yes... Yes it was. Your post was the first, but certainly not the last. I learned something new on the day I read that, and many other sources back that up, if you look around the web a bit. That is why SWAT Snipers won't always take a head shot when presented with the opportunity in a hostage situation.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old January 10, 2006, 10:38 AM   #42
rezmedic54

Head Shot

I have seen a neat way to deal with the same problem it is taught by Bennie Cooley but is totally distance related you have to be 4 yards and under. You rush the BG go low grabbing the BG's gun hand moving the gun from your loved ones head and shooting through your loved ones legs. finishing the kill with the BG on the ground if need be. But boy howdy that's one you'd have to really practice.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old January 10, 2006, 10:40 AM   #43
pickpocket

Umm....sounds a little Bruce Willis to me...

You sure there's not a sommersault in there somewhere?

Old January 10, 2006, 11:00 AM   #44
BBBCTC

First of all, I'm going with PAX on a few things. As stated, the BG is attempting to move you from a situation where they DO NOT have optimum control. Therefore, YOU DO NOT LEAVE. If you die in this attempt, you have still foiled the BG. All bets are off if you allow yourself to totally lose control.

Mr. Brit is correct. Shots to the brain stem WILL drop a person...PERIOD. The shot HAS to be thru the brain stem, however. Shooting them between the eyes, simply means a round went between the two main cerebral cortices, and may or may not have nicked the cerebellum. Nothing guaranteed there.

I've been unfortunate enough to have to deal with something akin to this. I've been blessed enough to come up on the winning side. Yes, there is a winning side to this situation. You're alive, loved one is alive, BG is crapping their shorts autonomically as they bleed out a ragged hole in the base of their skull.

No, I do NOT want to try it again. Enough nightmares there for one lifetime...