The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 5, 2006, 09:08 AM   #1
Dr. Bruce

Farnam Defensive Handgun Course in Philadelphia

Renowned firearms instructor and author, John Farnam, is coming to the Philadelphia area to teach his Defensive Handgun course on Jan. 13-15, 2006 at Classic Pistol Indoor Range in Southampton, PA. I highly recommend his excellent training. For more information, you may call me, at 215-938-7283 or email me at: [email protected].

Pre-registration is required. There is still a week left to pre-register.

/Bruce Eimer
http://www.PersonalDefenseSolutions.net

This "tactical" defensive handgun Course will consist of classroom lecture/demonstration and live-fire exercises on the range. It will begin with academic classroom work on Friday from 8:00 PM until 10:30 PM, and then, run up to 10 hours on Saturday (9:00 AM to 7:00 PM), and 10 hours on Sunday (9:00 AM to 7:00 PM). There will be a low light shooting session on Saturday evening.

Classroom instruction includes:

- Situation awareness and threat evaluation
- The force continuum
- Courtroom savvy
- The latest information on the physio/psychological aspects of lethal encounters.

Live-fire exercises on the range include:
- Threat evaluation
- Risk identification and reduction
- Lethal threat containment and management
- Precision shooting
- Discretionary shooting
- Low-light shooting (with and without a flashlight)
- Cover and movement
- Performing under stress
- Tactical training is conducted in a realistic manner, stressing correct use of cover, movement, challenges, and other important individual tactics. In addition, students will practice close and extremely close encounters and weapon control.

The course will also cover:

Interview stance, Draw, Grip, Weaver stance, Trigger manipulation, First shot, Multiple shots, Reloading, Stoppage reduction, Covering suspects at gunpoint, Verbal challenges, Reholstering, Carrying concealed handguns, options, techniques of employment, Close range shooting, shove-shoot, unsighted fire, recommended impact points, shooting from the ground, Cover and movement, roll-out technique, retreat techniques, Team exercises, working with a partner in a tactical situation, coordination, team synergy, Moving with a gun in hand, accident avoidance, Injured-limb drill/one-handed shooting, shooting, reloading, stoppage reduction, all using only one hand, Pivots, left, right, reverse, Back-up guns, carry options, employment, Advanced low-light drills, with flashlight, cover, and movement.

John is the author of "The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning" and other books. He is a regular contributor to SOF and other gun magazine.

The fee for this course is $475 and registration is by US MAIL ONLY.
Payment is to be made out in the form of a check to:
"Defense Training International"

Send your check to:

Dr. Bruce Eimer
P.O. Box 6
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006

Tel: 215-938-7283
Email: [email protected]

Thanks for your attention.

/Bruce Eimer

P.S. --- WHAT ONE STUDENT SAID: “John teaches a great class. His emphasis on how to stay out of trouble, the stealth existence, de-escalate, and interact with the authorities is top notch. Further, he teaches the class from the perspective of a private citizen, not an LEO, which is quite different. Anyone who carries CCW will benefit from taking a class from John. I consider him one of my three mentors in this business.”
Old January 5, 2006, 12:18 PM   #2
mete

John Farnam is one of the best. I took his course some years back and it was worth every penny. Everyone who carries should take such a course ,you'll learn how little you know . You'll be much more likely to survive !!
Old January 5, 2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Dr. Bruce

John Farnam is one of the clearest thinking firearms instructors conducting
the "real deal" training today. You finish a Farnam course NOT just awed by the instructor, but mostly awed by how much you learned. That is why I posted this.

Dr. Bruce
Old January 5, 2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Dr. Bruce, although Mr. Farnam gets very high marks from everyone I've heard mention him, it's considered better form at TFL to advertise a product for sale in the For Sale forum.
Old January 5, 2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Dr. Bruce

Dear Don,

I appreciate the feedback. I wasn't aware as I am new to this Forum.
I will do so in the future.
Hope no offense was taken.

Most sincerely,

Bruce Eimer