The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2018, 05:24 AM   #26
zeke

Maybe just buy a case or 8 lb jug(s) of your regular powder from internet, instead of switching and working up new loads. Buying in bulk can help with consistency/economy.

It would be rare experience when i buy from a store, unless just trying out 1 lb of something new, or during mass shortages.
Old November 25, 2018, 01:05 PM   #27
joeanybody

I usually load 45 acp with bullseye, but have had good luck with accurate #2 as well
Old November 27, 2018, 04:27 PM   #28
Roland Thunder

I was looking at the load data for Clays compared to HP-38 (which I have been using). I was surprised how much lower the range is for Clays

Clays Low = 3.5 High = 4.0
HP-38 Low = 4.3 High = 5.3
Old November 27, 2018, 04:49 PM   #29
hdwhit

Universal is similar to Unique and so could be made to work quite well in a number of cartridges; including 45 ACP.

If they had BE-86 or Sport Pistol, those are powders with close similarities to Bullseye but burn cleaner.

Still, you can't go wrong with WST in 45 ACP.

Also, if you load on a single stage press, look to see if they have Hi-Skor 800X. It does not meter well; you pretty much have to set your measure to throw light and then trickle up to the desired weight, but my experience has been that you will be rewarded for the extra work.
Old November 27, 2018, 06:47 PM   #30
pete2

WST, Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, Accurate #2, Clays, are all good for the .45. Any powder on the fast end of the scale is great for target loads. The 45 is easy to load for, maybe the easiest of all pistol calibers. I'm currently using WST but I'm happy with Bullseye too. As far as Bullseye being dirty, doesn't matter to me. I shoot cast bullets and they are dirty no matter which powder is used. I clean my .45s every 200 or so rounds anyway.
Old November 27, 2018, 08:39 PM   #31
USSR

FWIW, WST is pretty much the powder of choice for Bullseye competition with the .45 ACP.

Don
Old November 28, 2018, 12:13 PM   #32
Hammerhead

Quote:
I was looking at the load data for Clays compared to HP-38 (which I have been using). I was surprised how much lower the range is for Clays
Clays is pretty darn fast, noticeably faster than Bullseye, so they keep tight reins on the data. I've had some excellent loads with SWC's and Clays, just nothing on the warm side. Complete, clean burn even at the lightest levels. Comparable to N310.