The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 9, 2018, 11:46 AM   #1
USNRet93

9mm rifle

Been shooting my son's rifles so I kinda got the 'itch'..don't want another 'caliber' tho, so looking at 9mm..I know nothing about them so I ask the forum.

Mid priced($600 or so?,less used), easy to carry and shoot, 9mm auto..like the Ruger PC-9-ish.
Just gonna use it mostly outdoors to shoot targets and melons and stuff..fun gun..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 9, 2018, 12:09 PM   #2
10-96

I can see why and where your interest is with a 9mm carbine. I have an old Marlin Camp9 and they are certainly a hoot. On the Ruger though, I kind of have my doubts about those. I read an article on them from a publication I think was called Gun Tests. They pitted the Ruger carbine of 20 or so years ago against a High Point Carbine, and something else (maybe a Kel-Tec?). I remember the High Point beating them both out in reliability and accuracy. So when Ruger re-introduced them, I kinda kept my ear open for folks reviews and thoughts on them. I haven't heard about them being unreliable, but nobody can really say they are impressed with the accuracy of them. Now, I realize a 9mm carbine isn't a 1MOA critter, but folks just seem disappointed in what the Ruger delivers.

High Point still makes a carbine, and while it still isn't much to look at, it still seems to do OK in the accuracy department.

There's an outfit called JRC that makes one in your price range, I haven't heard any reviews on it, but at least it's easier on the eyes if that counts for anything.

Another thought- Do you have an AR type rifle? If so, you can get a dedicated 9mm upper. There will be a block to add to the lower, but it can be shipped to your door.

Chiappa makes a 9mm carbine that looks a mighty lot like a M1 Carbine (at least from a distance). That ought to be in your price range, but I haven't heard any stellar reviews from those.

Good luck.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 9, 2018, 12:27 PM   #3
TJB101

I ended up going with a CZ Scorpion to satisfy a shoulderable 9 desire. Since I load 357 as well I’ve been buying a few lever action guns to satisfy the carbine itch.
Old December 9, 2018, 01:19 PM   #4
JN01

I have a Just Right Carbine that I am happy with: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=576534

Most people who have the new Ruger PC Carbine seem to like them.

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 would be another good candidate for a plinker.

All three can be set up to use Glock magazines which are readily available and often cheaper than a lot of other brands.
Old December 9, 2018, 04:57 PM   #5
jetinteriorguy

Been loving my JustRightCarbine for about 5 years now and haven't seen anything better in a 9mm carbine come along yet.
Old December 9, 2018, 09:20 PM   #6
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Been shooting my son's rifles so I kinda got the 'itch'..don't want another 'caliber' tho, so looking at 9mm..I know nothing about them so I ask the forum.

Mid priced($600 or so?,less used), easy to carry and shoot, 9mm auto..like the Ruger PC-9-ish.

Just gonna use it mostly outdoors to shoot targets and melons and stuff..fun gun..

I was just in the same quandary as you.

I was torn amongst a Ruger Precision 9 mm Carbine, Keltec Sub2000, AR 9 mm pistol, CZ Scorpion and fixing up my Glock 19 with my CAA Micro Roni Stabilizer.

The Ruger is a solid setup. It’s brand new, but it’s parts are very similar to a Ruger 10/22. It can be taken down, which is a great advantage. There aren’t a lot of aftermarket parts, yet, but I hear Magpul is going to do a stock. It will be just a matter of time before Volquartsen and Tandemkross jump in.

The Sub 2000 Keltec is the lightest, coming in at less than 5 pounds. But my hesitation are the polymer feed ramp, trigger guard, polymer, Low rear sight, and the fasteners are not high quality. With that, it would cost us another $200-$300.

The CZ Scorpion is just a pistol. It runs around $700. Adding the brace, will add $100-$150 is my guess. I didn’t look into it since it was probably going to run me $900 after I got done with it.

Since I already have a CAA Gear Micro Roni Stabilizer, an Extra Glock and I have a suppressor, I wanted a Carbine like option. I looked into aftermarket barrels and found one on www.yrsinc.com out of Austria. With a coupon code, it put the barrel down to $185. Obviously, the Glock is probably $400-$450, the CAA Roni is $300 give or take and the barrel was $185 putting this option right around $900. The advantage is that it does fold, it has Glock reliability (I have 900 or so rounds through it now), and I had all the components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 10, 2018, 02:05 AM   #7
stagpanther

Ran my 10mm blow-back build just out of curiosity last night, I remember it had intermittent jams with certain bullets. But just like a Glock if I pulled the butt in with some pressure and didn't "limp hold" it; it emptied entire magazine without jams. I personally don't like the idea of being wed to Glock magazines for 9 and 10 semi-auto rifles--but the market seems to have decided that everyone will want to run these things along side a Glock sidearm.
Old December 10, 2018, 07:38 AM   #8
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN01 View Post
I have a Just Right Carbine that I am happy with: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=576534

Most people who have the new Ruger PC Carbine seem to like them.

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 would be another good candidate for a plinker.

All three can be set up to use Glock magazines which are readily available and often cheaper than a lot of other brands.
Thanks...I like that the KelTec can use Glock 17 magazines since I have a bunch of them..(even a couple of 21r ones)...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 10, 2018, 10:45 AM   #9
Areoflyer09

There is the Beretta CX4 as well. I have several friends that have enjoyed them.

I had a Sub2K and ultimately found it unrefined enough that I just didn’t enjoy it and I wasn’t willing to put the money into it to change that. It also had a sharper recoil impulse than I expected for a 9mm.

I ended up saving pennies while deciding between the CZ Scorpion Carbine and the Sig MPX Carbine. I found a killer deal on a used MPX at 60% the cost of new and went that route. It’s over your budget, but if you wanted to save up those are two great choices.
Old December 10, 2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Sharkbite

Quote:
Thanks...I like that the KelTec can use Glock 17 magazines since I have a bunch of them..(even a couple of 21r ones)..
So can the new Ruger PCC. In fact it has interchangeable mag well adaptors that allow it to run with a few different mags.
Old December 10, 2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Erno86

I have a 9mm British Sterling Mark 4 Carbine, from Wiselite Arms, with a full ventilated barrel shroud. It's based on a L2A3 receiver, that's converted from full auto/semi auto to semi auto only. It can fire with the metal collapsible stock folded. I bought mine for about $600, but the inventory has mostly dried-up; but you still have a possible chance of buying one on Gunbroker or Rock Island Auctions.

But it is now a banned firearm to purchase one while living in Maryland (but still legal to possess) --- Though a Maryland state resident can still purchase a full/semi auto Sterling, with a proper Federal tax stamp. If I had the coin...I would gladly purchase a full/semi auto Sterling L2A3. Gunbroker has a full auto 9mm Sterling at the moment, with a starting bid at $13,500.

A weak point of the Sterling, is the weld points on the magazine chute connected to the receiver...so it's not advised to grip the magazine while shooting.

Use only the Sterling 34 round magazines, because the use of Sten magazines in a Sterling is subject to OOB's.

"Kirsti Shootin Sterling 9mm carbine:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw5_QEBWg6g

Here's one: Sterling Mark 4 carbine (semi auto) for sale on GunBroker:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788510843

Here's the Sterling L2A3 full/semi auto for sale on Gunbroker:

(Notice it's the Stormtroopers blaster on the first Star Wars film.)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791619782

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; December 10, 2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old December 11, 2018, 06:20 AM   #12
jonnyc

If it's for fun, get the Hi-Point and spend the rest of your budget on a red-dot and ammo.
Mic drop.
Old December 11, 2018, 02:21 PM   #13
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
If it's for fun, get the Hi-Point and spend the rest of your budget on a red-dot and ammo.
Mic drop.
Ya know, I 'fondled' one at a LGS and it's really heavy...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 11, 2018, 03:24 PM   #14
SIGSHR

I have the Marlin Camp Carbine. S&W M-659 magazines work fine in it.
Old December 11, 2018, 07:53 PM   #15
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Ya know, I 'fondled' one at a LGS and it's really heavy...
After I fondled one, I bought it. It is a little heavy but it is a blast to shoot and is very reliable for under $300.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:09 AM   #16
Mobuck

I have both Ruger PC9(the original not the new buggered up version) and Marlin Camp 9. Their only reason for being in my stable bears on the use of magazines already on hand and the need for a teaching tool for a couple of less than enthusiastic shooters who wanted something more than a rimfire but not a .223.
A 9mm carbine is adequate for defensive use out to 100+ yards, is far easier to hit with at more than contact range by many shooter when equipped with a "dot optic", and carried enough energy to be effective at greater ranges than a handgun.
Old December 13, 2018, 10:57 AM   #17
USNRet93

Thanks for all the responses..as an aside..I have a bit of double vision in my RH eye. A trip to the ophthalmologist discovered no muscle problems(whay=t I suspected) but some 'bubbles and a 'thread' crossing the center of the lens. That, coupled with a wee cataract means only a new lens will fix it. Since the only issue is not really being able to shoot a rifle(cannot use left eye, can't really shoot left handed), not gonna go down the surgery path now. I can shoot just fine using left eye with handgun, BTW..
So..right after I get a new lens in my RH eye, I'll start a search again.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 13, 2018, 11:08 AM   #18
MarkCO

I had a Marlin Camp 9 for many years and I liked it a lot except for the magazines.

I have too many 9mm PCCs now, S2Ks and AR9s. They are a hoot to shoot and I have more rounds through them this year than anything else. The new Ruger is getting some love and I can't say I have seen anything to dissuade you from getting one. There are some AR9s that are in the $600ish price range as well.

With your eye issues, I would include the cost of a Red dot in the deal. If you want to shoot some before you decide, I am south of you in the slightly more free NW Denver Metro area.
Old December 13, 2018, 11:47 AM   #19
kenny53

I have found 9 mm anything are fun to shoot. I have an older Kel Tec Sub 2000. It has been a great gun for me. I will go through bunch of ammo using 32 round mags. A number of pumpkins of fallen victim to the Kel Tec.
Old December 13, 2018, 11:58 AM   #20
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I had a Marlin Camp 9 for many years and I liked it a lot except for the magazines.

I have too many 9mm PCCs now, S2Ks and AR9s. They are a hoot to shoot and I have more rounds through them this year than anything else. The new Ruger is getting some love and I can't say I have seen anything to dissuade you from getting one. There are some AR9s that are in the $600ish price range as well.

With your eye issues, I would include the cost of a Red dot in the deal. If you want to shoot some before you decide, I am south of you in the slightly more free NW Denver Metro area.
Thanks for the offer..'slightly more free'...yup, AR types are verbotten in the republic but general HG possession is far more 'free' than say, Denver..OpenCarry legal here, not in Denver.
Quote:
Colorado has long been considered a permissive state with respect to firearms. The state still is--except apparently for Denver. Denver recently challenged the state's preemption law and won, allowing the city to prohibit the open carry of firearms and the unlicensed open car carry of firearms.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 13, 2018, 02:55 PM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
PhormerPhantomPhlyer
You flew F-4's? One of the most beautiful planes ever made IMO. I was just watching a vid on UTube about several F-4's engaging a mig 21 today.
Old December 14, 2018, 01:06 AM   #22
TruthTellers

I don't own this per se, but I did buy a 9mm upper from PSA and it works great. I'm surprised at $550 more people don't know about this excellent 9mm AR pistol:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450152.html

The 9mm just about hits top velocity from a 10 inch barrel, with a 16 inch it gets maybe 40 fps more, but that's not a lot of velocity for a lot more barrel.

I also own a gen 1 .40 caliber Sub 2000 and Idk if the Gen 2's triggers were improved, but the gen 1's are terrible. You can adjust to it, but a DAO pull for a rifle is laughable in 2018. Recoil will bruise the shoulder with .40, probably be less than comfortable in 9mm.

Everyone seems to like the Ruger PC, it's okay, but an AR of any flavor has more parts you can mod it with. One of the reasons I built a 9mm AR was to get a binary trigger in the future and make it as close to a sub machine gun as possible.
Old December 14, 2018, 08:04 AM   #23
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
You flew F-4's? One of the most beautiful planes ever made IMO. I was just watching a vid on UTube about several F-4's engaging a mig 21 today.
I did, in 4 different squadrons..F-4C/D/J/N/S..Exchange tour with USAF, hence the F-4D, VF-33, VF-151, VX-4..really loved that jet, easy to fly, very 'honest' around the boat. Really didn't like the F-14..big, complicated, crappy engines.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 14, 2018, 08:48 AM   #24
stagpanther

That's awesome--thanks for your service. I grew up in a Navy family though I did not serve myself. I did however date Admiral Spencer Matthews' daughter for a while--as I recall during Nam he commanded the carrier group there for a while.
Old December 15, 2018, 08:29 AM   #25
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
That's awesome--thanks for your service. I grew up in a Navy family though I did not serve myself. I did however date Admiral Spencer Matthews' daughter for a while--as I recall during Nam he commanded the carrier group there for a while.
Wow,
Quote:
Rear Admiral H. Spencer Matthews, Jr. (May 5, 1921 – September 24, 2002) was the first Naval Aviation Pilot to be promoted to flag rank in the Navy.
He flew the very first Phantoms, F-4H1...last trap was in one on USS Midway..I have about 260 traps aboard Midway-Maru..

"Tools not Trophies”