The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2018, 07:33 AM   #1
chaim

Bought a new gun

So I went to the gun store yesterday to buy a gun. Admittedly, I was a bit unfocused, with several very different guns on the list.

I went to buy a SIG P365, SIG P938, SIG P238, .40S&W SIG P229 (CPO or used so I could afford it), Colt or SA 1911, a Beretta 92, or a .357mag, .44mag or .45LC lever rifle (preferably a Marlin or a Henry). A .22 pistol was lower on the list, but also a possibility (I haven't owned one in a decade or so).

On impulse I bought something completely different. I am a CZ fan (even though my P01 hasn't really grown on me). I love the feel and pointability of the classic 75B. They had a blemished CZ 75B Compact at a price I haven't seen for a new CZ in about a decade (while they said it was a "blemish" model, I couldn't find any blemishes). So, I bought it.

I never really warmed to my CZ P01. I always wanted the CZ 75B Compact and the CZ PCR and it just wasn't the same. It also had an issue with trigger slap, but that is fixable. Though, since the gun itself never grew on me, I didn't want to spend the money to send it to CZ or Cajun Gunworks to get a new trigger. Hopefully, I won't have the trigger slap issue with the 75 Compact, and if I do, it is a gun that I've wanted more than the P01 so I'll probably be much more willing to spend the money for the fix.

Unfortunately, with Maryland's waiting period, I can't take it home for about a week (I forget if the waiting period is 7 calendar days or 7 business days). In the meantime, it is time to check my 9mm ammo stock and see if I need to buy more so I can really wring it out once I get it, shop some holsters (hmm, another hybrid like I have for my P01 and my polymer pistols, or should I go leather for this one), and check for mags in PA and VA*

This is the 4th CZ I've owned, and my 3rd I currently own. I have my original CZ 75B that I bought over 15 years ago, I have the P01 I bought several years ago, and now I own (but don't yet possess) my 75B Compact. I used to own a CZ 40B that I bought when you could still get them new, stupidly, I sold it right around the time they were discontinued.

*In MD, we have a 10 round mag law. However, it regulates sales/transfer of standard capacity mags, not possession. You can buy regular mags in other states all you want and bring them home. You can't give, sell, buy or lend them to anyone within the state of MD.

Last edited by chaim; December 8, 2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old December 8, 2018, 09:07 AM   #2
CDR_Glock

You’ll love it.

I didn’t send my guns off, but I did get the 3 spring kit that helped with trigger pull. If you have a punch and a hammer, it isn’t hard to make to shoot a lot better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 8, 2018, 01:53 PM   #3
cw308

I happened to me , I saw this Colt New Agent in 45ACP, doesn't have conventional sights it has a trench sight and CT Laser grips . From the time I picked it up I have a hard time putting it down , it's the only handgun I shoot now for the past two years . Have fun with your new little friend .
Old December 8, 2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Jdin8455

Hope you enjoy your purchase. I'm in Maryland too, 7 calendar days...
Old December 8, 2018, 07:58 PM   #5
chaim

Quote:
I happened to me , I saw this Colt New Agent in 45ACP, doesn't have conventional sights it has a trench sight and CT Laser grips . From the time I picked it up I have a hard time putting it down , it's the only handgun I shoot now for the past two years . Have fun with your new little friend .
I came so close to picking up a Colt Defender that they had there. Sweet gun. The New Agent is interesting for a CCW piece, but I'd rather have the sights instead of the trench. If my newest gun wasn't my RIA Rock Compact (and Officer sized 1911), and if they didn't have the CZ 75B Compact "blemish", I probably would have picked it up, but I was looking for a full sized 1911 this time.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:01 PM   #6
highpower3006

Boy, you sound just like me. I go into a shop with the intention of buying one thing and leave with something entirely different. My last impulse buy was two weeks ago when I picked up a HK USP 45 at a price I just couldn't pass up. It is quickly becoming my favorite .45 Auto.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:11 PM   #7
chaim

Hmm, if this does have the trigger slap of the P01, I'm thinking I may just go with some shooting gloves (I may get them anyway). It would be a lot cheaper than a trigger job, and for self defense, I won't be shooting enough rounds to really notice trigger slap. As I get older, I don't love recoil as much as I used to, and it would also have the side benefit that it would make my S&W 442, my snub .357mags (one 2" and one 3" Rossi 461) and my Kel Tec Pf-9 a lot more pleasant to shoot and I may get more practice out of them.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:29 AM   #8
2wheelwander

Pic! I own 4 or 5 CZ's and my PCR is my favorite, hands down.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:59 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think you will be VERY happy. Next to a 1911 or a Hi-Power, my favorite handgun is a CZ-75 Compact (the safety version, not the decocker version). It fits my hand and balances perfectly.
Old December 9, 2018, 11:13 AM   #10
chaim

Quote:
Pic! I own 4 or 5 CZ's and my PCR is my favorite, hands down.
I'll take a pic of the 75B Compact next to my P01 once I have possession (MD has a 7 day waiting period). Maybe even a full family photo along with my 15+ year old CZ 75B.

The PCR has been on my wish list for well over a decade now (probably around 15 years). It has been at times hard to find, not available in MD, or not really fitting my carry plans, and I don't really need it (I have guns that fit its niche) so I've been slow to get it. Now that I'll have both the 75B Compact and the P01, I'd bet that within a year or so I'll also have the PCR. Maybe I'll really treat myself and get one of the Cajun Gun Works customized PCRs.
Old December 9, 2018, 11:30 AM   #11
HistoryJunky

Funny how that works. I walked into my local fun store on Friday looking for another 9mm pistol and came out with a Kar98. Too good of a price to pass up.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old December 11, 2018, 08:28 AM   #12
Skans

Quote:
CZ 75B
You can't go wrong with a CZ 75B. I prefer CZ's and other Euro guns (including my Hi-Power) to 1911's.
Old December 11, 2018, 06:41 PM   #13
chaim

Quote:
You can't go wrong with a CZ 75B
Skans, I've had my CZ 75B for more than 15 years. I just bought a CZ 75B Compact. If I like it even half as much as I like my CZ 75B it will be a keeper.
Old December 11, 2018, 08:32 PM   #14
dontcatchmany

I like fishing tackle shops.

I also like gun shops.

AND, there is a local non chain store that carries both fishing and gun stuff as well as bows and arrows and bicycles and, of course, clothing for the sporting enthusiast. One stop shopping.

Walked in there Sunday to get some speckled trout tackle. Walked out with a Kimber K6S revolver.

Took it home and put 24 rounds through it (12 38 special and 12 357 magnum) in the rain. Just had to shoot it.

Trigger is exceptional and it is very accurate at short range.....I now have approx. 100 rounds through it. I do, however, have to use something less than 142 grain FMJ 357 as that kind of put a hurt on my old hands.

Do not have any reason for purchasing a snub nose revolver as I have a Ruger SP101 38/357 2.25".

So I ?needed? another?????

Forgot to get the fishing tackle.

Well, I now have 20 handguns.....needed the Kimber to get to an even number.....yeah, that is it....that is why I ?needed? it.
Old December 11, 2018, 10:37 PM   #15
chaim

Quote:

Well, I now have 20 handguns.....needed the Kimber to get to an even number.
Hmm, sounds like you just painted yourself into a corner... from now on, you'll need to buy them all in pairs

Congrats on the Kimber. A K6 is high on my list, a 2" will probably replace all my 2" snubs, and a 3" will probably be bought as well.
Old December 12, 2018, 08:49 AM   #16
FITASC

I walked into a Gander Outdoors while passing through my former home town and nonchalantly asked if they had the 365 in stock; One guy was at the counter smiling because his was sitting there waiting to pay for his. Clerk said that they received 67 a month or so ago and still had 6 left; drove home with a new one. Added some 12 round mags; happy as a pig in slop......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; December 14, 2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 12, 2018, 05:11 PM   #17
JDBerg

I live in the PRC now and as soon as I take the test (don’t ask), I plan on getting a CZ 75B SA, “IMHO” the BEST gun for the money, period!

The best part about living out here is that I have a bigger toy budget. But other than the fact that I see a ton of new CZ’s in the LGS’s out here, this CDOJ handgun roster is SAD!
Old December 14, 2018, 08:03 PM   #18
Leaf

FITASC, I was in a gun shop a couple weeks ago and the sales people were laughing about the rush for Sig P365 pistols and how the current demand for the pistols was "nothing but a big fad." A couple minutes later both admitted having recently purchased Sig P365 pistols themselves.

I hope you enjoy your new pistol. Please let us know how it works out for you. I'd seriously like one myself considering the size and capacity.
Old December 14, 2018, 08:54 PM   #19
FITASC

If I wasn't scared of SWMBO, I would have bought 2-3 of them. Just this evening, I showed Mrs FITASC the 365 and she has suddenly decided that she REALLY likes the dry firing of it over my G26 she had commandeered as well as my P7. The 365 is definitely a keeper, and I am looking to add at LEAST one, if not two, more to the safe and seeing the Kahrs and Glocks go bye bye
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 16, 2018, 12:06 AM   #20
chaim

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to the gunshop yesterday after work or today, and they are closed tomorrow. I won't be picking up my 75B Compact until Monday or Tuesday.

In the meantime I have added some things to an older gun I have, but never use, to make it more useful for me. I have never liked my LCP. I was thinking of replacing it, but it is worth so little, and I have so little use for a pocket .380, that I figured I'd simply make my LCP useful. You can tell by my choice of the CZ 75B Compact that I don't necessarily go for the smallest possible carry gun when I'm able to carry. I have my SIG P290RS so I have a small 9mm, and if I ever come to trust it I have a Kel Tec Pf-9 if I want even smaller, though I don't usually go this small. I will also be getting a P365 within my next few purchases. So, a small .380 might be actually needed quite rarely. So, instead of taking the loss on selling the LCP and getting a SIG P238 for pocket carry when I quite rarely take a .380, I added a Crimson Trace laser sight to compensate for the non-existent sights and I added a Hogue grip to make it more comfortable to shoot. It is now ready to get more range time, and thus, possibly more use as a (very occasional) back up pistol. That frees me to get a toy .380 when I feel like it. Still possibly a P238, but probably one of the 80-series Berettas in nickel.

Tomorrow, I'll probably hit the range with some (occasional) carry guns and my HD guns which I haven't shot in a while. My P290, my home defense SIG P250, my S&W 442, and this LCP. Then after I pick up the 75B Compact, it will go with my P01 and my more common carry guns, my Officer sized 1911, and my M&P 40 Compact for a range trip (maybe on Tuesday).
Old December 16, 2018, 06:46 AM   #21
Jdin8455

Carry? Maryland? Pray tell lol
Old December 16, 2018, 06:59 AM   #22
jar

Boy has the Old Line State changed since I lived there. When I lived there it was quite normal to see a lever and a shotty in the rear window of a pickup, all three unlocked, windows down and quite often motor running. All my friends had a gun cabinet in the living room or den and in AnnieA a shotgun by the rear door was the norm.
Old December 16, 2018, 10:29 AM   #23
chaim

Quote:
Carry? Maryland? Pray tell
MD is "may issue" and some people do fairly easily (by MD standards anyway) get permits. If you are a judge, prosecutor, or business owner with large cash deposits, you will get permission to carry here. I'm not in any of those categories.

I can only carry when out of state in a state that honors my UT non-resident permit. That is several days a month for me, and would be more if PA still honored UT and NH non-resident permits. I often go to Northern VA for entertainment, NOVA or DE for shopping, DE or VA for the beach, WV for camping, etc. I also spend a lot of time in PA, but can no longer carry there- several years ago they stopped honoring most non-residential permits so I couldn't carry on my UT non-res CCW anymore. A couple years ago, NH made it easier to get their non-res permit, and PA still honored it, so many MD residents paid their $100 and got their non-res NH permit so they could carry in PA. So, earlier this year, PA added NH non-resident permits (all non-res permits I believe) to their list of permits they do not accept.
Old December 19, 2018, 12:39 AM   #24
ifithitu

I believe you will like it a lots,enjoy shooting it.Congrats.
Old December 19, 2018, 10:49 AM   #25
dgludwig

Sounds like you went in to buy a station wagon and came out with a convertible.