The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 14, 2018, 02:55 PM   #1
Dan-O

Wolff LCR Springs

Just discovered that Wolff offers lcr springs. Purchased the shooters pack. Can’t wait to try them out.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Carmady

Good luck, and please let us know how they work out.

It's a coincidence I was watching this last night, don't know if there are any differences in the the rim fire LCR's and the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oN09puNPKY&t=518s
Old November 14, 2018, 03:31 PM   #3
Dan-O

It’s my understanding that the rimfire ones are stiffer than the 10lb stock centerfire ones.
Old November 16, 2018, 11:29 AM   #4
WheelGunMan

I believe Wolff only offers them for centerfire only.
Old November 17, 2018, 03:32 AM   #5
Dan-O

Correct, but just because they say they only work in certain platforms doesn’t mean you can’t outsmart the next guy and get them to work for your needs.
Old November 17, 2018, 09:49 AM   #6
Carl the Floor Walker

Just curious, why would you need a new spring for the LCR? My gosh, they are, out of the box, one of the nicest revolver double action triggers made. The friction reducing cam makes them even feel lighter than they are.
I did put a new spring in my NEW Smith 642 and now feels close to the Ruger. I also have the LCR 22 which does have a heavier trigger, but great for training. Makes the other triggers feel even lighter.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; November 17, 2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old November 17, 2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Did you break a spring, or are one of those who can't leave a great trigger alone?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 20, 2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Dan-O

The latter. I swear to god they put rimfire springs in the lcr .327’s. I’ve dry fired a couple.38 versions, and they’re def at 10 lbs. my wife’s.327 version has a horrible heavy trigger.
Old November 20, 2018, 11:58 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

I just don't understand the concept. Figuring the engineers that designed the gun have a lot more experience, training, and testing facilities than me they have a reason for the weight of the springs they use. Mostlikely reliability. Especially in a firearm designed, and intended for self defense use. A soft strike on the range, just try again. A soft strike in a crutial SD situation, bring the ambulance, or body bag.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 21, 2018, 03:12 AM   #10
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Just curious, why would you need a new spring for the LCR? My gosh, they are, out of the box, one of the nicest revolver double action triggers made. The friction reducing cam makes them even feel lighter than they are.
This has been my experience as well. The centerfire versions of the LCR have a very nice trigger right out of the box. I really wish they'd find a way to work that technology into their other revolvers. For instance, the SP101 never had a great trigger and new ones seem worse than ever.

Of course, being good shouldn't preclude improvement to great. I'll be curious to see how this one goes.

Quote:
I swear to god they put rimfire springs in the lcr .327’s. I’ve dry fired a couple.38 versions, and they’re def at 10 lbs. my wife’s.327 version has a horrible heavy trigger.
This has not been my experience. The trigger on my LCR 327 is very similar to that of my LCR 38. There could be a burr or some dirt in there or who knows what. It might be worth cleaning it out, getting some quality oil in there, and doing some dry fire. If it's still really bad, call Ruger.